Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 0 - 0 Inverness CT

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Inverness CT


31/12/2005 | KO: 14:00

Dons draw another blank

Aberdeen produced a much better performance in the second half of this match but despite creating several chances they were unable to break down the Inverness defence. The visitors dominated the first half then Aberdeen took control after the interval but were denied by some fine saves from Brown and some poor finishing. Inverness almost stole it in the 80th minute when Langfield blocked a Wyness effort. On a positive note this was a better performance than in recent weeks and hopefully they can build on this when they face United in the cup next week.

Aberdeen made a confident enough start and won the first corner of the match in the 4th minute after a positive run from Chris Clark. Smith's delivery was headed clear and six minutes later Brewster set up McAllister but he hit the side netting with his shot. A minute later the visitors won their first corner of the match and although the Dons defence cleared the danger the ball came back into the penalty area allowing Brewster to fire wide. In the 12th minute Wilson was given too much space in the middle of the park and his long-range effort wasn't too far off the target.

Inverness were beginning to take control of the match and won their second corner in the 17th minute. Langfield claimed the ball and released Muirhead who was then stopped illegally. The resulting free kick was wasted allowing the visitors to regain possession. Aberdeen were toiling at this stage as they were getting overrun in the middle of the park and failing to find that telling ball that could release the forwards. Inverness won a free kick on the half hour mark but Langfield easily gathered Tokely's header. A minute later Stewart was narrowly flagged offside before Brewster once again tested Langfield in the Dons goal.

Stewart broke on the left in the 34th minute but his cross just failed to find Smith. Seconds later the young striker was set up by Lovell but pulled his shot wide from 16 yards. The Dons were showing more promise now and Lovell was inches from connecting with a dangerous cross from Jamie Smith in the 37th minute. Four minutes later Brewster set up Hastings and his low shot from 20 yards skidded wide of the target. With two minutes remaining Muirhead broke on the left and delivered s decent cross that just eluded Lovell and Stewart before Clark hit a decent effort that was fired straight at Mark Brown. Seconds later Brewster almost opened the scoring from a position that looked suspiciously offside.

Darren Mackie replaced Scott Muirhead at the interval and made an immediate impact as he caused mayhem in the opening minute when he utilised his pace to put the Inverness defence under pressure. Seconds later Brown was out quickly to gather a Jamie Smith cross. Aberdeen looked more alert now and Mackie was almost slipped in after 50 minutes before Tokely was able to clear. Three minutes later Byrne almost let in McAllister and had to rely on Langfield racing off his line to clear. Mackie then won a free kick on the edge of the box in the 55th minute And Jamie Smith went close as his effort was deflected inches wide. Byrne headed the subsequent corner over the bar.

Chris Clark went on an impressive run in the 64th minute that took him into the penalty area and forced a great save from Brown. The resultant corner fell to the feet of Dempsey and his shot was deflected narrowly wide to win another corner. Three minutes later Brewster went close with a speculative effort that sailed inches wide of the target. At the other end Mackie won a corner and Brown pulled off another terrific save from a John Stewart header. Aberdeen were in control now and in the 70th minute Smith stormed forward and Nicholson finished the move with a shot that drifted wide.

Munro collected the first yellow card in the 74th minute and Aberdeen attempted a free kick from the training ground that didn't quite work. Aberdeen should have scored a minute later when Stewart released Nicholson but he pulled his shot wide with only Brown to beat. Crawford replaced Lovell before the game restarted and then Foster replaced Dempsey two minutes later. Aberdeen were now pouring forward and put the visitors under constant pressure in a five minute spell. Somehow Inverness managed to keep their goal intact as Foster, Mackie and Smith were all denied.

Inverness then broke and almost grabbed a winner when Brewster released Wyness who forced Langfield into a block that saw the ball roll along the goal line and away. At the other end Mackie had a sniff at goal before the ball was booted away. Sponsors man of the match Ritchie Byrne picked up a nasty facial knock and spent five minutes of the match receiving treatment and leaving the Dons with only ten men. Byrne returned to action in injury time. Aberdeen continued to force the play but failed to find a way past the Inverness defence.

Match Stats:

Dons ICT
Goal Attempts 11 8
On Target 4 2
Corners 7 4
Possession 51% 49%

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Langfield, Clark, Byrne, Muirhead (Mackie 46), Anderson, McNaughton, Smith, Dempsey (Foster 77), Lovell (Crawford 75), Stewart, Nicholson.

Unused Subs: Winter, Macaulay, Esson.
Inverness CT Teamsheet
Brown, Tokely, Dods, McBain, Wilson, Duncan, Munro, Hastings, Black, Brewster, McAllister (Wyness 80)

Bookings:  Munro 74
Attendance: 12,266
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: T. Michael McCurry, Glasgow
Today's match programme.
Barry Nicholson in action at Pittodrie.
Scott Muirhead in the thick of the action.
Kevin McNaughton clears his lines at Pittodrie today.
Jamie Smith in action against Motherwell.
McNaughton is held back as he battles for the ball.
Jimmy Calderwood shouts instructions from the sidelines.
Barry Nicholson battles for the ball at Pittodrie.
Ouch!! Russell takes a sore one as he challenges Brewster.
Anderson blocks a Brewster effort.
Richie Byrne challenges at Pitodrie today.
Jamie Smith makes a full blooded challenge this afternoon.
Richie Byrne finds himself in the wars at Pitodrie today.
Jimmy Calderwood looks on from the sidelines.
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead