Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 2 Kilmarnock

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 1 Kilmarnock

Aberdeen scorers: Nicholson 10, Anderson 75.
Kilmarnock scorers: Naismith (pen 30), Lilley (86)

28/01/2006 | KO: 15:00

Dons lose late goal to deny win.

Aberdeen dominated this match with some fine football and should have won the game. A Nicholson goal after 10 minutes was cancelled by a Naismith spot kick. When Anderson bundled the ball into the net after 75 minutes it looked as if the Dons would collect a deserved three points but a loss of concentration in the closing minutes allowed Lilley to fire in an equaliser from a rare Killie corner.

Aberdeen kicked off with Severin back in the heart of the midfield and Danny Griffin slotting in at the back. The visitors won the first corner in the opening minute when Nish headed Hay?s delivery over the top. The Dons then threatened in the 5th minute when Anderson stormed forward and fed Nicholson on the right. The Killie defence stood firm and headed the delivery clear. A minute later Anderson was back in action at the other end as he denied Nish a scoring chance.

Kilmarnock threatened again in the 8th minute when Nish was penalised after heading against the post. A minute later Nish missed from 6 yards out but had already been flagged offside. Then Aberdeen grabbed the lead when Nicholson collected a Crawford lay off and drilled a low shot into the bottom of the net. The Dons then forced their first corner but that was easily cleared as they looked to build on their lead. The height in the Kilmarnock attack was causing the Dons problems and they struggled to clear their lines from a second Killie corner in the 16th minute.

Nish had another chance in the 19th minute but once again pulled his effort wide then seconds later Nicholson broke on the right before the ball was cleared. A free kick in the 21st minute ended with Crawford attempting an overhead kick that was easily gathered by Combe. Mackie threatened to dispossess Ford before the defender recovered then Byrne headed a Jamie Smith corner inches wide of the target in the 26th minute.

On the half hour mark Wales won a soft penalty as he headed away from goal and made the most of colliding with Richie Byrne's leg. Aberdeen had been dominating at this stage and the goal was a setback. To their credit they dusted themselves down and went back at Kilmarnock. Nicholson drilled another effort wide then in the 37th minute then Mackie played a great dummy that almost released Clark. Two minutes later Nicholson played a long ball to Smith and he drilled it first time across the face of the goal. Alan Combe had to be at full stretch to deny the on rushing Crawford.

In a storming finish to the half Aberdeen almost regained the lead when firstly they were denied a penalty claim then Combe had to scramble the ball round the post from a Smith shot. The subsequent corner caused mayhem in the Killie defence as everyone missed the ball but no player in a red short was able to turn the ball into the net.

Aberdeen were quickly into their stride after the break as they continued to probe the Killie defence. In the 50th minute McNaughton was caught out with a long ball by Invincible but recovered well to concede a corner and collected a nasty head knock in the process. The injury was serious and the Dundonian left the field on a stretcher and was replaced by new signing Neil McFarlane. Crawford won a free kick on the left in the 54th minute and the same player latched on to the clearance and had his shot deflected over the top.

Three minutes later Clark fired well over before Naismith had a similar effort at the other end. Between these attempts Crawford had a couple of half chances but didn't quite get behind the shots. Crawford threatened again in the 64th minute when his low shot was deflected wide. From the resultant corner Anderson went close as he steered the ball towards goal. Another free kick two minutes later caused more problems for Kilmarnock but Byrne came off worst in a collision with Combe.

Calderwood dealt his last cards in the 72nd minute when Foster replaced Byrne, who hadn't recovered from his collision with Combe and Lovell replaced Mackie. Within two minutes Smith threatened when his shot from the edge of the box was deflected wide. The resulting corner produced a second goal as McFarlane flicked the ball into the path of Russell Anderson who in turn bundled the ball into the net. A minute later Foster created some space for himself and tested Combe with a low drive.

Aberdeen then increased the pressure with a series of corners culminating in a Severin header being cleared off the Kilmarnock goal line. Aberdeen then appeared to hit the panic button for a couple of minutes after dominating proceedings and a rare corner in the 86th minute produced an equaliser from ex-Don David Lilley. A minute later Smith carved out a chance but fired the shot straight at Combe. A corner in the 89th minute found Anderson again but this time he directed his header over the bar.

In the 90th minute Foster did well on the left and found Severin in the box but the midfielders shot was blocked. Despite six substitutions and lengthy treatment to McNaughton and Byrne the referee only found two minutes of injury time. In the dying seconds a slip by Lilley allowed Smith in but Combe was out quick and blocked the effort. With the visitors maintaining an eight point lead catching the Ayrshire side is beginning to look difficult.

Kilmarnock Teamsheet
Combe, Fowler, Hay, Lilley, Ford, Wales, Invincible, Johnston, Naismith, Nish, Wright. Unused Subs: Murray for Naismith (81), Di Giacomo for Nish (83), Locke for Invincible (87)
Attendance: 10,540
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Craig Thomson, Paisley
Today's match programme.
Darren Mackie in action this afternoon.
Action from this afternoon's match.
Barry Nicholson fires in the opening goal.
Crawford congratulates the goal scorer.
Russell Anderson in action at Pittodrie.
Naismith levels from the spot for Kilmarnock.
Chris Clark in action this afternoon.
Kevin McNaughton leaves the game on a stretcher.
Russell gets in among the goals as he adds the Dons second after the break.
The same goal from a different angle.
Russell turns away to celebrate.
The two goalscorers together.
Lilley's late goal takes the shine off a fine performance.
Jimmy Calderwood can't look as Killie level for a second time.
Jamie Smith has hands on head after his last minute strike is blocked by Combe.
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead