Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Inverness CT 0 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Inverness CT 0 - 0 Aberdeen

Aberdeen scorers: Lovell 83.

01/04/2006 | KO: 15:00

Lovell strike takes Dons back into top six.

After a poor first half performance Aberdeen stormed back in the second half to secure a vital win that sees them move back into the top six. The Dons came out of the blocks quickly after the break and for long periods of the second half put the home goal under siege. The winner came seven minutes from time when Lovell capitalised on a mistake by Brown in the Caley goal to grab the winner. They now must beat Hibs at Pittodrie next week to ensure they stay there.

Aberdeen kicked off with the pitch looking fine despite the earlier doubts after some heavy rain over the last few days. The home side won an early free kick and Dempsey was forced to clear. Another challenge was penalised in the third minute with referee MacKay lecturing Diamond. Aberdeen's ventures forward at this stage were comfortably dealt with by a confident Inverness defence with a Snoyl effort from 30 yards in the 5th minute being their ony chance. Two minutes later some fine play by Severin released Lovell but the strikers cross was poor and the chance was gone.

Aberdeen went close again in the 12th minute when Severin played a free kick wide to Smith. The midfielder surged forward and found Crawford inside the Inverness box but Brown managed to cut out the cut back as the Dons looked to threaten. The home side then went close on the counter attack in the 15th minute with Wyness fired wide after Dargo had got himself beyond the Aberdeen defence. The ex-Aberdeen player had another chance on the break two minutes later but he missed the target with the Dons defence scurrying back.

Crawford then set up Snoyl in the 21st minute but his shot was blocked by Tokely. Aberdeen retained possession and Clark also found a defender in his path as he drilled in another effort. Aberdeen were increasing the pressure at this stage but the home defence was standing firm and they were quick to hit Aberdeen on the break. One such break in the 25th minute produced the first corner of the match but Langfield easily plucked the ball out of the air. Two minutes later Aberdeen were on the attack again, but an overhead effort from Crawford was easily gathered by Brown.

Diamond was the hero in the 31st minute when Dargo had rounded Langfield after the keeper misjudged the ball. The young defender cleared from the line and was then clattered by Dargo. Diamond had to leave the pitch as the resulting corner was taken but fortunately Aberdeen cleared and released Jamie Smith who was unceremoniously halted by Duncan. Aberdeen then wasted the set play as they did with their next free kick in the 42nd minute when Snoyl failed to get the ball beyond the first defender. In the final minute Snoyl evaded Duncan but he appeared to take his eye off the ball when he looked to have a great chance of opening the scoring. Seconds later the home side stormed forward and McNaughton, who had another fine game, was first to clear the danger.

In the opening minute of the second half Aberdeen looked more positive as Snoyl won their first corner. A minute later a long throw produced a quick second corner but once again the home defence stood firm and Tokely was on hand to clear Snoyl's delivery. Then in the 48th minute Crawford caused problems as he ran into the box and evaded Dodds before Tokely cleared. A minute later Crawford steered a Smith cross inches wide of the target as the Dons started to look threatning.

In the 51st minute Dempsey went on a surging run before being tripped 25 yards out and Smith hit a decent free kick that was clawed away by Brown for the Dons third corner. This was a better delivery and had the home side scrambling the ball clear before a fourth corner saw Severin head wide. The match had come alive now and the game now raged from end to end. Severin earned a yellow card in the 58th minute as this match started to live up to it's 'cup tie' billing.

After the Dons whirlwind start to the second half, Inverness eased themselves back into the game and won a free kick in the 61st minute after some theatrics from Black. Lovell released Snoyl in the 63rd minute but the Dutchman went for an ambitious effort rather than delivering a cross to Diamond who was free in the middle. It was to be his last contribution as he made way for Foster a minute later.

Steve Lovell then made a silly retaliation on Dodds and was lucky to avoid a card from referee MacKay. Then in the 67th minute Anderson made a late run into the box to steer a header wide of the target as the Dons battled to try and win the three points. Severin hit a fierce shot from distance in the 69th minute that Brown saved well before Inverness then stormed forward and won a corner that ended with Dargo screwing an effort wide.

Diamond then went on a surging run in the 75th minute before winning their fifth corner a minute later. Then a period of intense pressure from the Dons produced a dangerous free kick in the 78th minute after Clark was felled. After a bit of a mêlée both Wilson and Clark were booked before Smith's free kick was touched on by Anderson and almost turned into his own net by a Caley defender. Minutes later a Diamond cross was cut out by Brown as the Dons looked for the winner.

Aberdeen then grabbed a sensational goal in the 83rd minute that came out of nothing when Brown, allowing Lovell to score what could be a vital goal, misjudged a ball that had been played over the top. The striker was booked for his celebrations before John Stewart replaced Diamond as the Dons reverted to a back three. Langfield was forced to fist clear in the 87th minute as the home side looked to level. MacFarlane then replaced Crawford with two minutes remaining as Aberdeen looked to shut up shop as they faced an Arial bombardment. Stewart broke quickly in the 90th minute but was ceremoniously dumped by Black at the expense of a yellow card.

Lovell then conceded a late free kick that saw Black stretchered off and Aberdeen face a last minute threat. Fortunately Langfield claimed the ball and released Smith. The midfielder was penalised and booked to boot allowing the home side another opportunity that was cleared by Anderson to allow Aberdeen to hang on for a famous win. They now move back into the top six and they must beat Hibs at Pittodrie next week to ensure they stay there.

Match Stats:

ICT Dons
Goal Attempts 2 7
On Target 0 4
Corners 5 5
Possession 46% 54%

Inverness CT Teamsheet
Brown, Tokely, Dods, Wilson, Duncan, Hastings (McAllister 87), Dargo (Bain 75), Munro, Wyness, Black (Morgan 90), Hart. Unused Subs:

Bookings:  Dargo 29,   Wilson 78,   Black 90
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Langfield, McNaughton, Clark, Severin, Anderson, Diamond (Stewart 84), Snoyl (Foster 64), Dempsey, Lovell, Crawford (MacFarlane 88), Smith.

Unused Subs: Griffin, Macaulay, Mackie, Kelly.

Bookings:  Severin (58),  Clark (78),  Lovell (83),  Smith (90).
Attendance: 7,368
Venue: Caledonian Stadium, Inverness
Referee: Craig MacKay
Chris Clark in action this afternoon.
Jamie Smith battles for the ball at Inverness.
Kevin McNaughton clears his lines in another fine performance today.
Clark challenges for the ball as Dempsey looks on.
Jimmy Calderwood looks on from the sidelines.
Steve Lovell scores the winning goal this afternoon.
Lovell silences the home crowd as Brown holds his head in his hands.
Lovell shows who's number one after grabbing the only goal of the game.
Steve Lovell battles for the ball at Inverness.
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead