Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Dundee United 2 - 3 Aberdeen

HT Score: Dundee United 2 - 0 Aberdeen

Scottish Cup Third Round
Dundee United scorers: Fernandez (26, 29)
Aberdeen scorers: Crawford 64, Crawford 70, Nicholson 80.

07/01/2006 | KO: 15:00

Dons storm back to sink united in cup

Aberdeen turned this match on its head this afternoon to earn a famous victory at Tannadice. Trailing by two goals at the interval and looking to be heading out of the cup Aberdeen stormed back after the break through two goals from Steve Crawford and a winner from Barry Nicholson. There was an altercation on the touchline as the game ended and passions were running high. This though was a pulsating cup tie and could go a long way to turning the season round.

Aberdeen made a positive start to this match as Nicholson drilled a Lovell pass inches wide of the target in the 2nd minute. A minute later Colin Samuel threatened the Dons goal but Langfield made a comfortable save. The home side then won the first corner of the match in the 5th minute and it required a brave block from Russell Anderson to keep United out. Two minutes later Griffin released Lovell from a free kick but his cross was cut out by Stillie as the game continued at a cracking pace. McNaughton then tested Stillie before United won their third corner kick of the match in the 10th minute.

From the set play the home side worryingly won the header unchallenged but fortunately the cut back wasn't collected by any Tangerine Shirts. The Dons then raced up field to win their first corner of the match, which ended with Byrne being penalised as he headed wide. Aberdeen went close again in the 17th minute when Stillie failed to hold a Nicholson effort but McNaughton fired the rebound over the top before United stormed forward and put the Dons defence under immense pressure. A dangerous cross from McNaughton in the 24th minute was scrambled away by Mulgrew for a corner but once again Byrne was penalised as the ball was delivered into the area.

United were starting to take control of the midfield and dealt Aberdeen a blow in the 26th minute when Samuel beat Byrne and fired in a cross to the near post where Fernandez squeezed the ball past Langfield as the Dons defence looked on. Worse was to follow three minutes later when a mistake from an Anderson throw in to Clark allowed Samuel to release Fernandez for a second goal. This three-minute collapse by the Dons defence had shades of last season?s quarterfinal and left the Dons with an uphill task. Nicholson tried a shot from range in the 37th minute but Stillie easily held it as the Dons desperately looked to pull a goal back before the interval.

Fernandez almost grabbed a hat trick in the 43rd minute when Langfield tipped his free kick over the bar. United were in total control by this stage as the Dons struggled to create anything in front of goal. They did win a free kick in the final minute but Smith's delivery was easily cleared allowing Samuel to break quickly forcing Langfield to gather the ball at the feet of the United strikers.

Foster replaced Dempsey in the 46th minute and won a free kick after two minutes. Nicholson then won the first corner of the half from the subsequent free kick but it was easily cleared. Aberdeen were looking lively now and forced a second corner in the 50th minute and a third and fourth a minute later. Unfortunately none of these set plays produced the elusive early goal that Aberdeen were looking for. Griffin was then in action with a great tackle to deny Samuel as United looked to kill the tie with a third goal.

Calderwood made a second change on the hour mark as Mackie replaced Lovell and a minute later Nicholson earned the first yellow card of the match. From the resulting free kick Fernandez had a crisp shot deflected wide then Samuel missed an open goal from six yards as the Dons defence failed to pick him up. Aberdeen took advantage of the miss when they were then thrown a lifeline in the 64th minute as Stillie made a fatal fumble allowing Steve Crawford a simple tap in. Six minutes later the Dons were right back in the game with a sensational equaliser.

Smith broke at pace and fed the ball to Crawford who fired the ball past Stillie to silence the United fans that had heckled him all match and send the red army into raptures. Anderson then had to make a telling tackle on Samuel as United fought to retain the lead they had just lost with the game flowing from end to end. There was then a moment of danger for Aberdeen in the 74th minute when Robson drilled a free kick wide of the Dons goal before Samuel went close a minute later.

Aberdeen then completely turned the match round as Nicholson fired in a third goal in the 80th minute. Fine play by Crawford set up Foster and he delivered to Nicholson who swept the ball into the net for his second Dons goal. Dundee United brought on Lee Miller to try and save the game and Considine replaced goal hero Crawford in the 85th minute to ensure that wouldn't happen. The home side couldn't find a third and Langfield collected a late yellow for time wasting as the Dons held on for a famous victory.

Dundee United Teamsheet
Stillie, Duff, Wilson, Kerr, Archibald, McCracken, Mulgrew, Robson, Fernandez, Samuel, McIntyre. Unused Subs: Miller for Duff (82)

Bookings:  Kerr (90)
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Langfield, Byrne, Griffin, McNaughton, Anderson, Dempsey (Foster 46), Smith, Nicholson, Lovell (Mackie 60), Crawford (Considine 85), Clark.

Bookings:  Nicholson (61),  Langfield (90).
Attendance: 8,218
Venue: Tannadice Park, Dundee
Referee: Stuart Dougal, Burnside
Dempsey and Clark try to keep the shackles on Fernandez.
Fernandez nips in to open the scoring.
The same plater turns to celebrate his second and the Dons look dead and buried.
Calderwood screams instructions from the sidelines.
Crawford is gifted an easy tap in to pull the Dons back into the tie.
Stevie then strokes the ball past Stillie to put Aberdeen level.
Nicholson then completes the turn around....
... and races off to celebrate big time.
The United manager can't believe what has happened.
Nicholson and Langfield celebrate at the final whistle.
Calderwood shows his delight as his side progress in the cup.
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead