Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Partick Thistle 0 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Partick Thistle 0 - 0 Aberdeen

League Cup Fourth Round
Aberdeen scorers: Young 42, Considine 64.

26/09/2007 | KO: 19:45

Dons too strong for Jags

Aberdeen eased through to the quarter final of the CIS Cup after a slow start at Firhill this evening. The home side dominated the opening half hour and missed a spot kick in the 14th minute. Derek Young broke the deadlock in the 42nd minute when he scored his first goal for the club since netting against Livingston in 2003. Andrew Considine headed a Jamie Smith corner into the net 20 minutes into the second half and the Dons were rarely troubled after that. Jimmy Calderwood will be looking for a home tie in the next round as the Dons try and reach their first semi final since 2000.

Partick Thistle were first to apply pressure as they tried to take advantage with a quick free kick. Seconds later the ball was back in the danger area and the Dons defence had to get bodies behind the ball to block a couple of efforts before Storey fired over. Aberdeen won the first corner of the match in the 4th minute after good work from de Visscher. The corner came to nothing but they should have won a second award two minutes later but somehow the match officials awarded a goal kick. Partick had started confidently and won a free kick in the 10th minute after Considine conceded 25 yards out.

The ball was rolled to Rowson and his effort went well over the bar while at the other end Aberdeen won a second corner when a shot from de Visscher was deflected wide. Hinchcliffe was out quickly to punch the ball clear and in the 12th minute the keeper had an easy save from Clark. Seconds later Jamie Smith had an equally poor effort saved by Hinchcliffe. The Jags were then awarded a spot kick in the 14th minute when Considine bundled over Roberts in the box. Roberts picked himself up, stepped up and slammed the ball against the post much to the relief of the Dons players.

Langfield was back in action again two minutes later when he was forced into a save from Buchanan. Another shot from Buchanan went inches over Langfield's bar as the Dons were forced on to the back foot. Rowson then had a dig at goal in the 22nd minute but Langfield looked to have the 25 yard effort covered as it slipped wide. Aberdeen went close two minutes later when a Jamie Smith cross was headed inches wide of the target by Lee Miller. Nicholson had another chance in the 28th minute but after good build up play his finish was weak.

The Dons won another corner on the half hour mark after good work by de Visscher and the move ended with Clark hitting an effort over the bar. Aberdeen were coming more into the game but Roberts had a half chance in the 35th minute but he failed to get anything behind the shot and a minute later Storey dragged another shot wide. At the other end Foster cut inside and fired in a 25 yard effort that lifted over the bar. Langfield was then forced to punch clear as Partick threatened again but Aberdeen went ahead three minutes before the break.

The Dons had produced some good build up play and Hinchcliffe made a fine save as he blocked a Nicholson effort. The ball rebounded and Derek Young came racing into the box and slammed the ball into the net. Aberdeen finished the half strongly and won a corner in the final minute before Chris Clark fired over. The home side won a late corner but Aberdeen defended well and the half time cup of tea will have tasted that bit sweeter.

Lee Mair replaced de Visscher at the interval as Jimmy juggled some positions with Young partnering Miller up front as Smith moved back into the middle. The Dons won the first corner of the second half in the 49th minute and Clark fired well over as the ball fell to the edge of the box. Aberdeen had started the second half better but the home side won their first corner in the 55th minute and two minutes later Foster fired wide only seconds after Lee Miller had went rather dramatically down inside the box.

Aberdeen won a corner in the 65th minute and it produced a second goal for the SPL side. The corner was swung into the box by Jamie Smith and Andy Considine headed the ball into the net to give the Dons some breathing space. Aberdeen now looked comfortable as they knocked the ball about comfortably at this stage. When the home side found space up front the Dons defended stoutly. Clark went close in the 84th minute when he volleyed a Derek Young lay off wide of the goal.

Partick Thistle went close three minutes from the end when a Donnelly shot was deflected for a corner. The home side took a quick corner, but Aberdeen broke quickly and the move ended with the keeper saving from Miller.  Aberdeen held out comfortably and now look forward to a quarter final tie.

Partick Thistle Teamsheet
Craig Hinchcliffe, John Robertson, Gary Harkins, Alan Archibald, Marc Twaddle, Kevin McKinlay (Paul Keegan 75), David Rowson, Simon Storey (Simon Donnelly 66), Stevie Murray (James Gibson 55), Liam Buchanan, Mark Roberts Unused Subs: Jonathan Tuffey, Scott Chaplain
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Langfield, Hart, Foster, Severin, Considine, Clark, Smith, Nicholson, Miller, Young, de Visscher (Mair 46).

Unused Subs: Kelly, Smith, Maguire, Mair.
Attendance: 3,337
Venue: Firhill, Glasgow
Referee: Stuart Dougal
Next Match
Heart of Midlothian
09 Dec 2023 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen