Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 3 St. Johnstone

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 2 St. Johnstone

Aberdeen scorers: Mackie 17.
St. Johnstone scorers: Deuchar 21, Sheridan 26, Sheridan 65

11/04/2010 | KO: 12:15

Dons Crash Again as Relegation Woes Remain

Aberdeen failed to ease their relegation worries as they crashed to St. Johnstone at Pittodrie this afternoon. It had all been so different when Mackie finished off a good move in the 17th minute to put the Dons ahead. Ten minutes later the Dons were 2-1 behind after mistakes from Langfield and Diamond cost two very soft goals. A third followed in the second half and now the Dons face an important match against Falkirk on Saturday as they look to avoid any relegation worries.

St. Johnstone kicked off and they won the opening corner in the third minute as Mackie was forced to clear with Morais lurking. Langfield claimed the ball, but a minute later Saints won a free kick on the left as they enjoyed all the possession in the opening stages. Aberdeen were getting pinned back in these early stages, but Diamond did send a dangerous ball into the Saints area after ten minutes. Two minutes later a ball into the Aberdeen box was headed wide by Deuchar after he found himself in total isolation.

There was controversy in the 15th minute when Paton played a good ball towards MacLean and a head high clearance from Craig would surely have resulted in a free kick anywhere else on the pitch. Two minutes later Aberdeen went ahead when Darren Mackie calmly slotted the ball past Smith after good build up play. Paton found MacLean and he quickly passed to Marshall. The midfielder could have went for goal, but intelligently played the ball into the path of Mackie to score. Unfortunately Aberdeen let St. Johnstone back into the match four minutes later following an error from Langfield.

A free kick was swung into the box and Langfield came well off his line, but didn't get the ball leaving Deuchar with a simple looped header into an empty net. Matters took a turn for the worse five minutes later when a mistake from Diamond resulted in a second St. Johnstone goal. Zander attempted to head clear when it looked easier to kick the ball. The half clearance fell to Morris and he played a lovely pass to Sheridan who in turn slotted the ball past Langfield. A ball into the Saints box in the 33rd minute failed to find a colleague then three minutes later Grassi was cautioned for a challenge on Irvine.

St. Johnstone went close again in the 36th minute as Sheridan scraped the post with a powerful header. Foster won a free kick two minutes later and as Marshall played the ball into the area Grassi made a late run and headed wide. Aberdeen turned up the heat as the game headed towards the interval and Ifil did really well on the right before putting the ball onto the head of MacLean, but Smith turned the effort round the post. From the resulting corner a Diamond header was easily gathered by the keeper. Duberry was booked on half time after pulling Paton back and from the resultant free kick 35 yards out, Mulgrew had a dig at goal, but Smith made a comfortable save.

In the 52nd minute Aberdeen won a free kick on the edge of the box, giving Mulgrew a good opportunity. Unfortunately his attempt went straight into the wall allowing the visitor's to break quickly. Langfield was on hand to cut out the cross and four minutes later Young replaced MacLean. On the 58th minute another free kick was won on the edge of the box for a hand ball, but Mackie hit the effort over the bar. A header from Grassi went wide on the hour mark then in the 65th minute Saints made it 3-1 as Aberdeen failed to clear the ball despite having several chances. Sheridan didn't hang around and slotted the ball into the net after Langfield could only parry a Deuchar effort..

After 72 minutes Fyvie replaced an injured Mulgrew and two minutes later Mackie set up the youngster, but his shot was blocked by the keeper. Smith did well again from the corner as he prevented Diamond from scoring. Another corner followed in the 76th minute and once again Smith claimed the ball. Grimmer replaced Paton in the 81st minute to make his home debut and seconds later Fyvie crashed the ball of the bar, but he had already been penalised. A Foster shot then went wide with no one in position to turn the ball into the net.

Fyvie, who had looked impressive since coming on, won a free kick in the final minute and the resulting set play produced another corner. However the St. Johnstone defence were looking comfortable now and cleared easily. Grimmer then did well to win another corner as he raced down the left wing. Grimmer then repeated the process as his shot was blocked. Despite the siege of the Saints goal in the latter stages it was too little too late for the Dons and they now have a real fight on their hands in the last five matches of the season starting with Falkirk next week.

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Langfield, Foster, Diamond, Ifil, Mulgrew (Fyvie 72), Grassi, Marshall, Kerr, Mackie, MacLean (Young 55), Paton (Grimmer 80).

Unused Subs: Nelson, Duff, Jack, Robertson.

Bookings:  Grassi (34).
St. Johnstone Teamsheet
Graeme Smith, Gary Irvine, Steven Anderson, Michael Duberry, Liam Craig, Murray Davidson, Chris Millar, Jody Morris, Filipe Morais (Collin Samuel 77), Kenny Deuchar (Andrew Jackson 90), Cillian Sheridan (Paul Sheerin 87). Unused Subs: Alan Main, Kevin Rutkiewicz, Graham Gartland, Gavin Swankie.

Bookings:  M Duberry 44,   C Sheridan 84,   L Craig 90.
Attendance: 7,568
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Calum Murray, Livingston