Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Dundee 2 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Dundee 0 - 1 Aberdeen

Robertson Cup
Dundee scorers: McLauchlin, Hamilton
Aberdeen scorers: Lennie.

15/08/1910 | KO:

Splendid weather conditions obtained at Dens Park, Dundee, last night, when those rivals in the football world, Aberdeen and Dundee, opened their season with a Robertson Cup tie. Since its inception this competition has proved extremely successful. A crowd of over 5000 turned out to see both teams first try their strength for the season.
Crumley had the honour of winning the first toss of the season, and Dundee played with a strong sun behind them. Lennie early showed his paces, but Chaplin, punting clear, caused King to run out and field. The Aberdeen defence was troubled for a time, Colman and Hume both having to show their kicking powers. A foul against Wyllie caused uneasiness, but Colman stead was handy. Chaplin's skied a beauty which just went over the bar, and then Hunter had a snapshot which met a similar fate. After sustained pressure Dundee had a fruitless corner. Aberdeen's back division had to exert themselves to the full to cope with the wily rushes of Dundee's attack. Lennie tried to relieve the pressure, but McEwan elbowed him off. Successive corners fell to Dundee, and at the second Millar cleared when all seemed lost. The Aberdeen forwards were hopelessly out of the picture, but Soye one got in a cross which Murray nearly converted. Dundee's wings were brilliant. McLauchlin, late of Elgin City, gave a smart display. Dundee's finishing was extremely weak. The chief factor in this half was the fine defence of the Aberdeen backs. Gradually Aberdeen improved, and the opening goal for them came as a surprise. Soye crossed past the backs, and Lennie walked the ball past Crumley. Dundee retaliated vigorously, and King saved brilliantly from Bellamy, while he repeated this feat from Hamilton at close quarters. Even play followed for a time, and then King again shone, clearing from the feet of Lindsay. Lennie, travers, and Murray figured in the Aberdeen attack, which, bill well conceived, met with no luck. Play towards the interval was evenly distributed, with King having more to do than Crumley. Lennie's erratic shooting lost a golden chance for Aberdeen. Dundee's played deteriorated considerably, and Aberdeen deserved their half-time lead.

To be a goal behind did not please the Dundonians, who started off strongly, Bellamy fired hard, and King saved. McLauchlin caught the rebound, however, and equalised, after 3 minutes play. Sailor hunter kept his side on the aggressive, but Soye brought relief with a flashy run, only to see Lennie kick high over the bar from a few yards out. Soye repeated his performance, and Crumley cleared stylishly from Travers, and then followed a narrow escape of Aberdeen's goal, Bellamy's shot striking the upright. Crumley was kept in hot water by shots from Murray and McIntosh, and Murray headed over from a corner. Aberdeen's combination greatly improved, and for a time their superiority was as marked as Dundee's had been earlier in the game. Dundee, however, were by no means spent, and Wilson brought off a timely clearance when Hunter passed the backs. King had been idle for a time, but he cleared magnificently a great drive from Bellamy, and was cheered. He was slightly at fault in giving away the leading goal to Dundee. He held from Lindley, but was too long in clearing, and Hamilton netted after half an hour. Aberdeen strove hard to get level, but lack of cohesion in the van, coupled with the robust defence of Chaplin and McEwan, kept them out. Lennie tried a grounder, and Crumley had to make many clearances, but none of the shots really troubled him. Combination had practically fallen out of the game, but there were many bright individual touches, notably a passage by Travers which almost brought a goal. Both teams were full of running. In the closing stages Aberdeen strove hard, but failed to get the equaliser.

Aberdeen's leading players were King, Colman, Hume, Millar, Wilson, Soye, and Murray.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 16th August 1910

Although defeated by the narrow margin of two goals to one in the first match the season - a Robertson cup tie with Dundee at Dens Park - Aberdeen have no reason to be disappointed with the initial display. In a nutshell, Dundee were the superior team in the first half-hour of the initial period; then followed an Aberdeen awakening which ended in a lucky goal lead at half-time. In the second half, Aberdeen for a similar period were superior to the Dundonians, but were attended with the same bad luck which dogged the Taysiders. Ground advantage is always the determining factor in the issue of a game, and it was more this than an actual superiority which allowed Dundee to claim the 2-1 lead at the finish.


Dundee opened with a vigour and freshness of style which and once imbued confidence in the 5000 crowd. Throughout the whole of the first half the indulged in passing game which fairly bewildered the Aberdeen defence, and the occasional swings by the extreme wingers only added to the troubles of the visitors. As the game progressed, however, this combination fell away and gave place to the very admirable but really less pretty individual flashes which are so apt to meet with disaster at the feet of a sturdy defence. Aberdeen, on the other hand, were a long time in making up their minds to anything like a combination game. The last 15 minutes of the first half and the latter part of the second half of the heirs in this respect, still, never at any time did the approach the finish in outfield work shown by the Taysiders. It was in individualism that Aberdeen Shan, but it was also in that they failed.


There were those who had their doubts as to the advisability of playing King in the first team goal, but after his display on Monday night - which, by the way, merited flattery of Crumley - these may be looked upon as the illusions. In the first half the tall lad, who, it may be mentioned, has broadened considerably since last season, was invincible, and clever manner in which he dealt with the many ticklish shots of that period stamped him as a worthy successor to the man whose case occupied the attention of the English Association last night. His outstanding performance was the saving of a lightning drive from Bellamy, which, throwing himself full length, he saved at the expense of a corner. Once or twice his clearances were of the daring order, yet they were marked by a precision and confidence which orders well for his future. He was not at all to blame for Dundee's opening goal in the second half, but for the experience will teach him to abandon the hesitation which cost the second point - his only mistake in a creditable evenings work.


If ever two backs proved their worth it was Colman and Hume, who had a hard ordeal to go through. Their forte lay in their kicking, which was always of the resolute and well-directed order. There were many exciting passages between Hume and Bellamy, but the last-named usually clung too long to the sphere for the Aberdonian to be outwitted. As a pair the Aberdeen backs are as sound as ever, and the club could not be better served in that department.


As a defensive trio the Aberdeen half-backs excelled. Yet it was owing to their failure to back up the forwards that the game on this occasion was lost. In the first half they were opposed to a set of forwards at once fresh-blooded, enthusiastic, and nippy, supported by that sturdy defence which has always been the pride of the Dundee team. So alert were they kept in their tackling - and it was well done - that they seldom had the opportunity to send forward those "slips" which are so essential in the letting off of a van. The line worked untiringly from start to finish of the game, and, although with the present talent at the disposal of the club they could not be improved upon, they must needs pay more attention to placing if that harmoniousness which is so necessary for a team's success is to be achieved.


Individually and collectively the Aberdeen forward line was inferior to that of the victors. The failure of the line was partially traceable to the misplacing by the halves, but the absence of system and the lack of cohesion amongst themselves was directly responsible. On many occasions the line got off promisingly, only for one of the quintette to keep possession for too long time, with the inevitable result that the effort was, as Aberdonians say, "foozled." One thing was evident, and that was that neither wing understands the other's play. Travers - a really clever individualist - and Lennie were scarcely ever in unison, and do not appear as if their styles well ever harmonise in the way that the public have been accustomed to see in those of O'Hagan and Lennie. Chaplin was invariably too high a wall for the little winger, and, try as he would, he could make little progress. Tom Murray distributed fairly, but his foot was less on the ball than a centre's should be. Macintosh, having failed to make an impression with science in the first half, indulged in go-ahead, bustling tactics in the second, but with no more success, and indeed during the game he appeared to be out of his element. Soye gave a creditable account of himself at outside right, and he invariably parted with the ball to good advantage.


The success and discovery of the Dundee side was McLauchlin, the young forward just secured from Elgin City. In first period especially he had the Aberdeen halves chasing him, and he it was who initiated or developed many of the brightest passages in the Taysiders display. Another discovery was Lindley, lately obtained from Lincoln City. He kept Wilson working hard throughout the game, and sent over many fine crosses, although he fagged towards the finish. Comrie was the outstanding half, and the weight and robustness of Chaplin and McEwan kept up a sound back division, well supported by Crumley.


Tom Robertson, who was referee, is quite a worthy in the football world, and a favourite with most crowds. And Monday night's match been at Pittodrie it is doubtful, however, if the veteran would have had his popularity endorsed. The truth is he was inclined to blow his whistle rather frequently, and is pulling up of the Aberdonians for offside on several occasions was not always unchallengeable. Travers had a goal in the second period seemingly from a legitimate position, but Mr. Robertson had just previously given offside. A humorous incident took place when Mr. Robertson suspended play until it terrier dog, which refused to obey his marching orders, was chased off the field by Crumley.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 17th August 1910

It was fitting that senior football in the North should be opened by a tussle between the great rivals - Dundee and Aberdeen - at Dens Park last night. The match was under the auspices of the Robertson Cup, and 3000 spectators were present at the start.
Dundee developed a keen attack in the opening minutes, and well-directed shots came from McEwan, Hunter, and McLauchlan, the centre forward latterly missing a good chance. Aberdeen got their fist look-in after fifteen minutes' play, but the home halves were strong. R. C. Hamilton's judicious feeding of Lindley, the Lincoln player on trial for Dundee, served to bring out evidence of fine play in the junior, and the wing gave a lot of trouble to the Aberdeen defence. A cleverly executed break-away by the Aberdeen forwards resulted in Lennie scoring after Crumley had left his goal. This put Dundee's backs up, and shots rained in on King from all the forwards. The custodian gave a magnificent exhibition between the posts, and repelled all efforts, notably clever shots from Hunter and McLauchlan. Dundee did the most pressing, but found Colman and Hume strong at the back. Half-time:- Aberdeen, one goal; Dundee, nil.
Two minutes after the resumption, Bellamy shot brilliantly, and King only partially cleared. McLauchlan rushed in and scored from the rebound. Aberdeen became rampant for a period, and only capital clearing by Crumley saved the situation. Wyllie, the ex Clyde player, played cleverly at centre half for Aberdeen, and he was ably supported. Aberdeen strove determinedly for the lead, but the home half-backs again got into their stride. Following a poor clearance by King from Hamilton, the latter followed up and scored. Both goals were equally visited after this, with Dundee the more dangerous, Bellamy striking the cross-bar from far out, and the homesters pressed till the end. Result :- Dundee,two goals; Aberdeen, one goal.

Source: The Scotsman, 16th August 1910

At Dundee Aberdeen played a hard game, and were unfortunate in being beaten, as on the run of play there was not a goal between them. The score stood 1-1 for so long that most people thought the game would end in a draw, but another goal came Dundee's way just before the finish, and they wound up a fine opening game by winning. 2-1.

Source: Bon-Accord, 18th August 1910

Dundee Teamsheet
Crumley; Chaplin, McEwan; McFarlane, Dainty, Comrie; Bellamy, McLauchlin, Hunter, R. C. Hamilton, Lindley
Aberdeen Teamsheet
King, Colman, Hume, Wilson, Wyllie, Millar, Soye, McIntosh, Murray, Travers, Lennie.
Attendance: 5,000
Venue: Dens Park, Dundee
Referee: Tom Robertson