Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Dundee 3 - 4 Aberdeen

HT Score: Dundee 1 - 2 Aberdeen

Benefit Match
Bert Neal Benefit Match
Dundee scorers: Walker, Walker (pen), McLauchlan
Aberdeen scorers: Dickson, McIntosh, Main, Wood.

15/08/1911 | KO:

Dundee's opening match was set aside for Neal's benefit, the opposition being supplied by Aberdeen. There were only between two and three thousand present to see Dickson open the scoring sensationally in a minute and a half with a great shot. Aberdeen settled down to their game quicker than the Dens Park lot, and as the result of a fine concerted piece of work by the visitors' quintette McIntosh secured a second point with a soft ground ball, which Lyall misjudged. Dundee threw off the granite yoke after this, but while they showed good combination in the open, they cracked up when at close quarters, and King easily disposed of the attempts for goal. Just on half time a foul off Wilson was well placed by Comrie. Walker dashed on, and Hannah's kick caused the ball to rebound over the custodian's head into the goal. Interval score:- Aberdeen, two goals; Dundee, one goal.
Early on resuming, Hannah was penalised for fouling Walker, the centre, who took the kick, equalised. The friendly element evaporated after this incident, and the game was more interesting, with Dundee the better team. From a lovely centre by Fraser, McLachlan headed through Dundee's third point. Aberdeen strove hard to get on level terms, and they succeeded in a curious manner. Main sent in a long shot, which Lyall stopped, but in bouncing the ball it struck a stone and went goalwards. The referee awarded a goal. Aberdeen managed to get another point through Wood. Result:- Aberdeen, four goals; Dundee, three goals.

Source: The Scotsman, 16th August 1911

The Aberdeen football team commenced the season in promising style at Dens Park, Dundee, last night, when they opposed and defeated Dundee in a benefit match by four goals to three. The game was played under ideal conditions, and a crowd of 4000 was present, the proceeds going for the benefit of Neal, the Dundee player.
Although Aberdeen's superiority was challenged by the score, their football was of a standard never approached by the Dundonians and the harmonious way in which the different departments of the team worked suggested well for the future. Especially in the first half were the Aberdonians superior, and, although they fell away in the second period for a time and Dundee actually took the lead, a great revival came near the end of the game, which saw them deserving winners. So well did the forward line work that at times the Dundee players reverted to unfair tactics, and not a little feeling was shown. Facing a strong sun in the first half, Aberdeen were two goals up inside ten minutes. Delightful play by Main enabled Dickson to shoot a brilliant goal, and then Main passed neatly ahead to McIntosh, who beat Lyall with a grounder. The northerners passed with an accuracy suggestive of exhibition football, and some of the touches displayed strengthened the belief that this year Aberdeen have a team of footballers in all senses of the word. There were, of course, times when Dundee showed up well, but they suffered greatly by comparison. King misjudged a high ball from midfield, but recovered, and following upon this incident came a movement in which every Aberdeen forward participated, Lennie ultimately shooting past. Dundee's first goal came as the result of a mix up between Hannah and King, Walker scoring while they were looking for the ball. Aberdeen's lead 2-1 at the interval did not nearly represent their superiority.

Aberdeen played unsettled football for a period after resuming, and a penalty against Hannah was converted by Walker. Lennie and Lawson's difference, which had been apparent from the start, necessitated the referee's intervention, and from that point onward, considering it was a benefit game, considerable feeling was manifested. Fraser and Colman had some great tussles, and McLauchlan put Dundee ahead from a Winger's cross. From this stage came a great Aberdeen revival. The side played with nippiness and cleverness, which even Dundee spectators could not forbear to applaud. Centres by Lennie and Dickson, and a brilliant combination between Main, Wood, and McIntosh, tied up the Dundee defence, but still the equaliser did not come. At last from a long shot by Main, Lyall failed to gather properly, and the referee gave a goal, although the ball did not appear to be over the line. Dundee were completely outplayed after this, and, after a rushing run which sparkled with the scientific element, Wood caught a rebound from Lyall and scored the winning goal.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 16th August 1911

Dundee Teamsheet
Lyall; Lawson, Ferguson (St Johnstone); Neal, Aitken (Leicester Fosse), Comrie; Hamilton McLauchlan, Walker, Graydon, Fraser
Aberdeen Teamsheet
King, Colman, Hannah, Wilson, Wyllie, Millar, Dickson, McIntosh, Main, Wood, Lennie.
Attendance: 4,000
Venue: Dens Park, Dundee
Referee: Mr. John Bell, Dundee
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride