Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 2 St. Johnstone

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 1 St. Johnstone

Dewar Shield Semi Final
Aberdeen scorers: McHale, Merrie 20, Merrie 87.
St. Johnstone scorers: Imrie 23 (Pen), McBain 60.

15/08/1928 | KO: 19:30

ABERDEEN WIN A SHIELD TIE. Two Goals for Merrie.

In an exciting contest at Pittodrie last night Aberdeen defeated St Johnstone by 3 goals to 2 in the first round of the Dewar Shield competition - a tournament open - to the County Cup winners of Aberdeenshire, Forfarshire, Perthshire, and Stirling. Heavy rain before the match and during its earlier stages adversely affected the attendance, which would not have been more than 5000.
The teams went hard at it from start to finish, neither sparing itself, and in the later stages especially the referee was kept busy checking irregularities which were the outcome of over-keenness.

Exciting Tussle.

Aberdeen made the running at the start. Off a centre by Love, McLaren was in action, and at the home end Black shot wide. Fast end-to-end play followed, but for a time nothing dangerous was accomplished in the shooting line until Black (St Johnstone) sent in fast grounder which Yuille at full length just managed to deflect round the post. St Johnstone were putting in slightly more aggressive work, and McHale and Jackson blocked shots that would have troubled Yuill. From a breakaway Love worked close in to finish with a fast grounder, which McLaren at full length, at the foot of the upright, just managed to deflect. Later, Merrie turned the ball just outside the Perth goal. From a free kick close to the Aberdeen penalty area Swallow just missed.

Merrie Finds the Net.

After twenty minutes Merrie gave Aberdeen the lead from close range, after Steele had failed to clear. Three minutes later McHale was adjudged to have tripped Black in the penalty area, and from the subsequent spot kick Imrie equalised. The exchanges were keen after this, and Yorston should have given Aberdeen the lead from Wilson's pass, but sent wide from close range. Subsequently St Johnstone had the better of the exchanges, but Yuill was not seriously tested. Following a lob forward by Black, Merrie just missed with a header for Aberdeen, and later subsequent to a shot by McLaren there was a prolonged scrimmage until the Perth goalkeeper found relief through the medium of the referee's whistle. The game was fought out on cup-tie lines until the interval, when the scores were:?Aberdeen, 1; St Johnstone, 1.
Aberdeen attacked in the opening stages of the second half, and, after McLaren had fielded a long grounder by Merrie. Cheyne swept the ball wide. At the other end, Yuill had to save from a long free kick by Imrie. Aberdeen subsequently were more dangerous, and Cheyne went close with a header from McLaren's cross.

St Johnstone Go Ahead.

With fifteen minutes played, St Johnstone took the lead. Gavigan tricked Livingstone and squared, and McBain at close range gave Yuill no chance. Subsequently Aberdeen attacked in determined fashion, but St Johnstone concentrated on defence, and although play was for the most part in the vicinity of McLaren, he got little to do. In a rush by the home forwards the Perth goalkeeper was injured, and shortly afterwards, from a free kick, McHale equalised from twenty-five yards out. After this there were exciting exchanges near the Perth goal. Cheyne headed against the bar, and then McLaren had a fierce shot fisted out by the Perth keeper, and Yorston met the return to head just wide of the goal.

The Winning Goal.

Aberdeen continued to have the better of the exchanges and from Wilson's pass Yorston turned the ball into McLaren's hands. Three minutes from the close Merrie accepted from Cheyne to give Aberdeen victory which they deserved on their second half's display.

Source: Press & Journal, 16th August 1928

St. Johnstone Teamsheet
Sandy McLaren, Willie Steele, William Forrest, Willie Imrie, Andy Swallow, Hugh Lafferty, Peter Gavigan, James Black, Laurie McBain, John Stevenson, Willie Webb.
Attendance: 5,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Tom Small, Dundee
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead