Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 1 Falkirk

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 1 Falkirk

Dewar Shield Semi Final
Aberdeen scorers: David, Smith, Yorston 75.
Falkirk scorers: Dyet

13/08/1930 | KO: 19:00


Aberdeen have registered their first victory the season, and have reached the final of the Dewar Shield competition. At Pittodrie in the first round, which is also the semi-final, they defeated Falkirk by 3 goals to 1, and were worthy winners.

After the heavy rain preceding the match the pitch was sodden, and during part of the game there was another heavy downpour, which added to the discomfort of players and spectators. It was due to the conditions that only 5000 were present.
Falkirk played the same team as on Saturday, but Aberdeen had David for McDermid at inside left.
On the slippery surface both teams took some time to settle down, but Falkirk were the first to threaten danger, Gall and Dyet having Cummings in action to shots that lacked sting. Aberdeen replied with spirited thrusts on the right, and Yorston brought out a corner with a surprise shot.

One for David.

Subsequently Aberdeen took the lead. Smith manoeuvred, and returned the ball to DAVID, who netted with a fierce shot from eighteen yards.
Falkirk almost equalised immediately, Cummings at full length pushing away a free kick by Stevenson. After this Aberdeen kept up a vigorous offensive, and Ferguson deflected a great drive by Black.

The Equaliser.

After Cummings had saved a hard shot by Gallagher, Smith lost an easy chance of increasing the lead. Then came the equaliser. Legge failed to clear, and DYET, getting possession close in, gave the Aberdeen 'keeper no chance. Towards the interval Yorston got possession, and from his perfect pass SMITH netted with a fast ground shot, Falkirk making a futile claim for offside. On the whole Aberdeen were fortunate to be ahead at the end of the period.

Narrow Escapes.

Falkirk stormed the home goal on resuming, and following a corner kick, Cummings was cheered for a fine clearance whilst harassed.
Dickie and Love, after forcing play by Yorston, had shots countered by Ferguson, and at the other end Cummings effected a grand save from a free kick by McGregor.
Aberdeen were kept on the defensive, but ultimately came away, and the Falkirk goal had a narrow escape when Yorston slipped while in possession with Ferguson out of his goal. David later was applauded for a fine individual effort and in a scramble Ferguson picked the ball away from Yorston's feet.
There was much end-to-end play, with Aberdeen always more dangerous and after half-an-hour YORSTON received possession close in to leave Ferguson helpless.

Cummings's Save.

Shortly afterwards came the outstanding incident of the game - a wonderful save by Cummings. He took up position to meet a free kick by Mackrell, and had actually gone down on his knees to do so when the ball struck a defender and was deflected. By a wonderful effort the goalkeeper twisted his body and shooting up his arms brought off a miraculous save. The spectators showed their appreciation by applauding for several minutes.
In the later stages the exchanges were even, with both defences being kept on the stretch.

Source: Press & Journal, 14th August 1930

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Cumming, Cooper, Legge, Black, McLaren, Hill, Love, Dickie, Yorston, David, Smith.
Falkirk Teamsheet
Ferguson, Hume, Mackrell, Kennedy, Hamill, Hutchison, McGregor, Gallagher, Dyet, Stevenson, Gall.
Attendance: 5,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Tom Small, Dundee
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride