Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Dundee 2 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Dundee 2 - 0 Aberdeen

Dewar Shield Semi Final
Dundee scorers: Coats 12, Baxter 38.
Aberdeen scorers: Armstrong 59.

17/08/1938 | KO: 19:00


The semi-final of the Dewar Shield between Dundee and Aberdeen attracted fully 8OOO spectators to Dens Park, Dundee, last night. Two minutes from the start, Currer, the Aberdeen left half, sustained a serious knee injury and had to retire. Coats scored for Dundee in twelve minutes. He went through on a beautiful pass from Sneddon, and completely beat Johnstone, who afterwards saved brilliantly from Smith and Baxter. The absence of Currer spoilt what promised to be an evenly contested game, and although Aberdeen frequently attacked with four forwards, against a strong wind, Lynch, the Dundee goalkeeper, got little to do. Baxter Increased Dundee's lead in thirty- eight minutes when Smith passed straight across the goalmouth, and Johnstone tipped over the bar a great drive by Melville, while Lynch made a spectacular clearance from Armstrong just before the interval. Aberdeen. although still without the services of Currer fought gamely in the second half, and nearly forced a number of corners. Adey, however, missed a penalty kick. Armstrong reduced the leeway in fourteen minutes, and Nicholson was unlucky not to equalise with a thrilling long-range shot. Having played with ten men practically the whole game, Aberdeen were unlucky not to draw.

Source: The Scotsman, 18th August 1938



Aberdeen were unlucky against Dundee at Dens Park last night in the Dewar Shield competition. Beaten 2-1, they put up a plucky fight in the face of adversity.

Tw minutes after the start Currer, who was deputising for Thomson at left half, fell awkwardly when tackled by Laurie and had to be assisted from the field. His injury seems serious.
Aberdeen played with ten men for the remainder of the game.
They lost two goals in the first half when they had to face wind and sun. Dundee were the better team during this period, but the Dons, despite their handicap, held the upper hand after the interval. They showed fighting spirit, and had they drawn it would have been no more than they deserved.
Considering that they were a man short in the second half their football was of quite a good standard. It was certainly an improvement on Saturday's form at Firhill.


Under the circumstances it would be unfair to criticise the players. Some played better than others, but all were equal in that they fought for ninety minutes.
Nicholson must get full marks for a grand display. He not only did good work in defence, but in the second half was up urging on the attack. Cooper too, played soundly in defence, and gave Roberts little rope.
McKenzie got through a terrific amount of work. When Currer retired to the pavilion the inside left filled the double role of forward and half back. Armstrong was an energetic leader, and shared the honours with McKenzie.
Except for Melville at outside right all the Dundee players had played first League football. They had a sound back in Rennie, and Morgan at centre-half, was a powerful defender. Sneddon at left-half was a forcing player.
Coats was well held by Nicholson, but Baxter and Smith, the inside men, were hard workers and Melville on the right wing showed promise.


After Currer had been injured Dundee almost took the lead. Roberts forced a corner on the left, and Johnstone just managed to scoop Baxter's header from under the bar.
Aberdeen struck back, and only a fine one-handed save by Lynch saved his charge. McKenzie made ground on the left and slipped the ball into the inside for Strauss to shoot.
In twelve minutes Dundee took the lead. A glorious pass by Sneddon put Coats through. Johnstone hesitated, and the centre sent into the corner of the net.
The Dark Blues were a lively company, and when Melville sent in a well-placed corner from the right, Johnstone had to dive desperately to push Smith's header past for another flag kick.
The Dons' keeper was called into action again to deal with a fierce drive from Baxter. The Dons then began to take their share of the play. Smart work by Warnock, Hamilton, and Armstrong saw the centre send over, and later Lynch held a high shot from Strauss.


Dundee, however, got a second goal after thirty-eight minutes play. Smith burst through the Aberdeen defence and when he chipped the ball in almost from the bye-line, Baxter, standing unmarked, netted from close range.
The homesters almost got a third goal shortly afterwards. Coats was held up by Nicholson, but slipped the ball out to Melville, and Johnstone did well to push the winger's try over for a corner.
Armstrong made a gallant effort when he let Warnock away with a long cross and raced up the middle to meet the winger's return. His hot was bound for the net but Lynch saved smartly.
Aberdeen took the offensive on the resumption, and when Warnock broke clear on the right and squared the ball a goal seemed likely. Cowie, however, intercepted with Strauss lying uncovered in the goalmouth. This heralded a spell of Aberdeen pressure, and after Lynch had saved a neat flick from Nicholson at the expense of a corner, he had to deal with an oblique shot from McKenzie.
Hamilton might have scored when Armstrong put him in possession ten yards out and with a quick pass, but the inside right sent straight to the keeper.


Eight minutes after the restart Cowie fouled Strauss as he went for a high ball that Lynch punched in the air, and the referee awarded a penalty. Adey took the kick but sent past.
Smart play by the Aberdeen attack led to a goal in fourteen minutes. Hamilton slipped to the centre, and Armstrong beat a couple of defenders in one lightning-like movement t send into the net.
Dundee retaliated but failed get in touch with Johnstone and the Dons quickly returned to the attack. Nicholson sent in a magnificent drive from forty-five yards' range which Lynch pushed over for a corner.
Aberdeen fought hard until the finish, but Dundee succeeded in hanging to their slender lead.

Source: Press & Journal, 18th August 1938

Dundee Teamsheet
Lynch, Cowie, Rennie, Laurie, Morgan, Sneddon, Melville, Baxter, Coats, Smith, Roberts.
Attendance: 8,000
Venue: Dens Park, Dundee
Referee: J.M.Martin, Ladybank
Next Match
27 Apr 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen