Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 2 Dundee

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Dundee

Inter City Cup Second Leg
Aberdeen scorers: Hather 80.
Dundee scorers: Flavell 57, Flavell 85

21/04/1952 | KO:

Dons Do Bulk Of Pressing

THE crowd was slow to turn out for Aberdeen's holiday Inter-City Cup-tie between Aberdeen and Dundee. 

The Dons made one change from Saturdays team. Wallace was introduced at left half, Harris switching to the right.
The Cup finalists had Pattillo at back and Zeising at right half. There were about 8000 spectators at the start.
The Aberdeen team started with a three goals deficit.
The first shot of the match was fired by Newlands on the Dons' right. Harris forced his way down the touchline and the winger moved inside to take his cross and test Henderson.


The Dons were the more aggressive side, but their attackers, too, showed little sign of setting up any goal-scoring records.
A burst by Hill on the Dundee left spelt trouble for the Aberdeen defence.
The winger cut right in and I had a suspicion that Thomson handled before he kicked past for a corner.
A cross-field run by Burrell produced, the next thrill. Christie carried on where the right winger left off and Martin made a double save.

Wallace Forces Play

Wallace was forcing on play in good style and on one occasion a long range drive by the young reserve dropped over the crossbar.
Back swung Dundee and a through pass by Flavell to Christie saw the inside man bring Martin into action with a fierce drive.
Steel was lively in the Dens Park front rank, but Wallace stayed close on his track. Dundee had a chance break the deadlock when Zeising suddenly switched the ball over from the right. First Flavell then Christie failed to make contact close in.
The Dark Blues looked dangerous now, and when Flavell picked up a pass from the left and whisked past Thompson things looked a trifle ominous.
The Dens Park leader carries on towards goal but Martin left his charge and deflected the centre's shot.
The crowd was becoming a bit impatient with Yorston, but it was just one of these days when things would not go for the inside man.

Narrow Escape

The Dundee goal had a narrow escape near the interval.
Baird headed on a corner from Newlands and when Yorston nodded the ball goalwards it bounced off the crossbar.
Rodger followed to try a shot and Henderson was perhaps lucky he was in the line of fire.
Steel was cheered for a gallant run on the right. The stockv little inside forward resisted challenges by Wallace and Thomson and crossed for Martin to save.
The Dons had been the more persistent attackers during this half, but when the half-time whistle sounded they had still failed to get the ball past Henderson.

Henderson Lucky

A long-range drive by Wallace livened up the proceeding. Rodger and Yorston went for the ball. The inside right got his head to it and Henderson was lucky to be on the right spot.
In twelve minutes the Don. lost the first goal. It was a Steel affair. A Thomson clearance struck the inside-forward and he smartly raced on to place the ball at FLAVELL'S feet. The Dundee leader had an easy task and picked his spot In the net.

Source: Evening Express, 21st April 1952

Pittodrie Crowd Irritated By Feckless Dons

THE Dons probably played their last game of the season yesterday, and after their display against Dundee in the Inier-City Cup-tie there will few regrets.
Dundee won 2-1 to retain the trophy by a 5-1 margin. It was easy for the Dens Park team. They were much superior in the second half, although they did not appear to be moving at full throttle.
Aberdeen’s forward line was lacking in both cohesion and penetrative power. So unenterprising and inept were they after the interval that they had the unnerving experience of hearing a section of the crowd give them the slow handclap.

IT may have been that the Pittodrie players were suffering from end-of-the-season staleness or that they were discouraged by the fact that they started with a three goals deficit, but whatever the explanation, they certainly never looked like a winning team yesterday.
In the first half Baird tried vainly to introduce some rhythm into the attack. The only bright spot was Hather’s goal ten minutes from the end, but Dundee quickly restored their lead.
There are possibilities about Jimmy Wallace, the former Banks o' Dee player, who was given a chance at left half. Although opposed to Steel, Scotland's No. 1 inside forward, he played a hard and useful game, and struggled gamely to urge on his own forwards.

Steel was always dangerous on the ball and created a lot of trouble for the Dons’ defence, and Cowie, the former St Clement’s player, gave a good display at left half.
All three goals were scored after the interval. In twelve minutes Steel opened the way for Flavell to set the fashion. Ten minutes from the final whistle Hather cut in to net from a Yorston pass and five minutes later Flavell sent the ball into an empty goal from a pass from Burrell.

Source: Evening Express, 22nd April 1952
Dundee Teamsheet
Bobby Henderson, Johnny Pattillo, Jack Cowan, Ken Ziesing, Alf Boyd, Doug Cowie, Gerry Burrell, Billy Steel, Bobby Flavell, George Christie, George Hill.
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J.P.Barclay, Kirkcaldy
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride