Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Partick Thistle 1 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Partick Thistle 0 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Partick Thistle scorers: Gray
Aberdeen scorers: Low, Lennie.

10/03/1906 | KO:

Accounts Squared.

Played at Meadowside, Partick. Thistle pressed at the start, and for the greater part of the first half play was confined to the visitor's end. Aberdeen's defence was often at fault, but MacFarlane's excellence in goal made up for all mistakes. For a time shots fairly rained upon the visitors' keeper, but an occasional corner kick was Thistle's only reward. Towards the interval play evened up, and W. Low had a fine chance to open the scoring, but shot past. A further raid by Thistle was still unproductive, and a rally by Aberdeen resulted in a melee in front of Howden's goal, from which W. Low scored. Half-time:- Aberdeen, one; Partick Thistle, nothing. In the second half Thistle still had the better of matters, and shortly after the start Gray equalised. Play on both sides was of a high order, the dashing tactics of the northern forwards contrasting with the more methodical passing of the home lot. Low at a centre for Aberdeen was often dangerous and although well watched, was eventually responsible for Aberdeen's second goal. Thistle exerted themselves to the utmost to retrieve their position, but were again defied by MacFarlane, whose display was the feature of an eventful game. Result:- Aberdeen, two; Partick Thistle, one. Gate £110.

Source: The Scotsman, 1906-03-12

Aberdeen had perhaps the best of the match at Meadowside, so far as marksmanship was concerned, though they had not the better part of play. Rab Macfarlane had his day out, and enjoyed himself. It did not matter what sort of shot came to him, they were treated all alike by Rab, who fielded, and picked up in his most dexterous style. Partick indulged in what I have strongly condemned in the Aberdeen. They finessed too much with the ball in the open, making a bit of progress only to let the backs or halves pounce on it and clear. This was the Thistle's play all through. While they gave Macfarlane plenty to do, there was often a lack of vim behind their shots. Aberdeen were their exact counterparts. Whenever they went off there was danger in the air. Lennie and Mackie were about the best of a fine line, and their shooting had life behind it Henry Low's first goal was a beauty worth going to see. Howden couldn't wink at it, while Lennie beat that same custodian all the way. Partick's was also a good one, and the play prior to the score deserved the point. It was the fine swinging gait in Aberdeen's front line, backed up by these tireless halves, a pair of good backs and a class custodian, which won them the game.

Source: Bon-Accord, 15th March 1906

The Aberdeen senior eleven traveled to Partick on Saturday to meet Partick Thistle in a return League match at Meadowside. No little hope was entertained in Aberdeen that the team would manage to notch other two points after their display against Celtic at Pittodrie a week ago, while it was also felt that the northern men had a "crow to pluck" with the "Jags," inasmuch as the latter were responsible for the downfall of the Pittodrie eleven at the very commencement of the season. When the contestants turned out there was a good spectatorate. The teams were:-
Partick Thistle: Howden; Lyon, Gilchrist; Gibson, Melville, Allen; Sommen, Swan, Kennedy, R. Gray, Hamilton.
Aberdeen: Macfarlane; Boyle, Gault; Halkett, Strang, W. Low; Robertson, Mackie, H. Low, Henderson, Lennie.
Referee - Mr. Muir, Motherwell.

The strangers had the benefit of a good breeze at the outset, but they failed to make much use of this advantage, and the Thistle commenced operations right away. Only a minute elapsed when Macfarlane was having as hard a time as he ever experienced, and it seemed that not the greatest slice of luck told out to a custodian could prevent the downfall of his citadel. Sommen and Kennedy each had repeated tries for goal, and then the sphere was transferred to the left wing, who had a spell of pot-shooting at Macfarlane but "Rab" proved invincible, and tries that would have carried many keepers into the net along with the sphere were blocked, fisted, and kicked out with the utmost coolness. The siege was only raised for an instant when the Partick men were at it again, inflicting on the Aberdeen keeper the warmest peppering to which he was ever subjected. "Rab's" "charmed" life continued, and cries of our admiration and wonder where elicited from the home crowd, while a handful of north country-men present simply hard themselves with delight at his activity and cool daring. A dangerous cross from the right flag provided Kennedy with a great chance, but the pivot, in attempting to pilot the ball between the sticks, sent it wide, much to the chagrin of the local crowd. A few minutes more of hard work in front of their own goal, and Aberdeen at last flashed up the field, led by Lennie, and had the tricky wingers efforts been supported by the centre portion of the front rank, it should have culminated in our goal. This success appeared to have a reassuring effect upon the Aberdeen men, and Howden had a taste of what had been so lavishly needed out to Macfarlane. The Partick Mann, however, proved that he was worthy of the position he held, and his returns were so well cleared by the backs and halves that the game resolved into an end to end trot. This order was soon stopped, and Aberdeen were responsible for the change with a sweeping rush up the field towards Howden. Lyon and Gilchrist were passed without ado, and the leather crossed to Low, who had only to touch over the goal line, but a howl of delight rose from the borders of the arena when Henry Low was seen to bang wide of the mark. It was not a matter for wonder that he did not score, but rather that he succeeded in missing. This narrow escape was too much for the "Jags," and, as if determined that it should not occur again, they made direct tracks for the Aberdeen goal. Sommen and Hamilton each sent in a stinger, and when the latter made a second effort, Macfarlane could do nothing but concede a corner, which fortunately, resulted in nil. Returning to the attack once more Aberdeen called upon Howden, and Lennie gave the stalwart keeper a warmer, but nothing resulted for a brief space. A scramble in front of goal caused great anxiety to the homesters, and in this they were justified for Henry Low got his boot on the sphere none too gently, and strained the meshes of the net to bursting point. One

The interval arrived, and when the game was resumed the stranger still maintained their lead, and looked like doing so, for they were now are the aggressors. Kennedy was the means of causing a diversion with a tricky run up the centre, which was abruptly terminated by Boyle. Continuing to press, local lot engaged in a bout with the Aberdeen backs, and from the melee which ensued, Hamilton worked the ball three and parted to R. Gray, who swept the ball past Macfarlane before the latter realised what had happened. Keen play followed the equaliser, and feeling was not altogether absent, although nothing serious resulted. Aberdeen came away on the run, and Henry Low shattered the side net with a shot, while a minute later he had the ball in good position but lost his footing at the critical moment. It was now the turn of the Thistle, and Macfarlane donned another "coat of glory," and so awkward was the attack on one occasion that "Rab" had only turned the leather aside when he was carried completely off his feet by the force behind it. The pace began to tell on the players, but, strange to say, signs of weakness were more perceptible on the locals than among the Aberdeen men, and when the latter bunched up in front of Howden, it was as much as the defence could do to keep the lines clear. The ball was ultimately given to Lenny at close range, and the winger made no bones about it, banging through with precision and force. The remaining ten minutes of the game were hard enough fought, and although Partick made some good efforts to draw level, they were repulsed without much difficulty and Aberdeen emerged victors.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 12th March 1906

Partick Thistle Teamsheet
Howden; Lyon, Gilchrist; Gibson, Melville, Allen; Sommen, Swan, Kennedy, R. Gray, Hamilton
Attendance: 4,000
Venue: Meadowside, Partick, Glasgow
Referee: Mr. Muir, Motherwell
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride