Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

St. Johnstone 0 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: St. Johnstone 0 - 0 Aberdeen


02/03/2011 | KO: 19:45

Dons Earn Point as Langfield is on Top Form Again

On the positive side this was the fourth clean sheet in a row as once again Jamie Langfield produced a string of great saves. The pitch was in poor condition, but once they settled Aberdeen had slightly the better of the play in the first half. After the break the home side started to take control and although there were chances at both ends, the keepers were the winners. Aberdeen got a big break late in the half when there were loud shouts for a penalty kick following a challenge from McNamee on MacDonald. Referee Thomson was unimpressed and the Dons went on to collect a point as they recorded their second consecutive 0-0 draw.

In the second minute Saints launched the first real attack, but an obvious foul on Langfield brought that threat to an end. Two minutes later Aluko appeared to be fouled, but play was allowed to continue and Saints won a free kick, which in turn produced the first corner of the game. A reckless challenge on Considine also went unpunished before Langfield was able to claim the ball. In the sixth minute Aberdeen went forward through Aluko, but after some decent passing play the keeper had an easy save from the Nigerian.

Two minutes later Samuel broke and McArdle had to look sharp to halt him with a well timed challenge. Saints then won their second corner of the match, but the Dons were eventually able to clear their lines. Aberdeen were on the back foot in these early stages and Hartley had to block another effort in the 13th minute. Three minutes later Aluko looked to be taken out of play again off the ball, but he was not being afforded much protection. At the other end Saints were awarded a soft free kick in a dangerous area and a MacDonald header failed to find the target.

In the 18th minute Aluko produced some of his magic before going down inside the box. It would have been a very soft soft award and referee Thomson waved play on. Langfield had to make his first save of the night when he turned a MacDonald effort round the post to concede a third corner. Once again Saints failed to capitalise and Langfield started a quick counter attack, which ended with Vernon appeared to be fouled. The officials did not agree and Saints raced up field and won another very soft free kick in a dangerous position.

The free kick came to nothing and Aberdeen broke quickly as Vernon fed Blackman, but he was denied by a good save from Enckelman. At the other end Langfield made another great block following a mistake from Considine. On the half hour mark Aberdeen produced some fine play, but the finish came from Smith and the defender's effort was still rising as it headed towards row Z. Aberdeen then won a free kick in a dangerous position. Hartley placed the ball just outside the D and although his first effort hit the wall he had a second bite of the cherry and forced a fine save from Enckelman.

Saints MacDonald looked impressive, but he tended to go down all too easily every time he was challenged. In the 40th minute Aluko broke on the left and won the Dons first corner of the match. Hartley's delivery was headed clear, but Aberdeen built again before an offside flag ended the threat. Handbags were produced with three minutes of the half remaining after Milsom was fouled. When the dust settled Invincible was booked and the free kick came to nothing. Aberdeen ended the half on the front foot, but couldn't find the breakthrough.

In the opening minute MacDonald was awarded another free kick - this time for backing into McArdle. From the set play the first corner of the half was won, but Aberdeen blocked an Invincible effort before scrambling the ball clear. In the 50th minute Aberdeen should have taken the lead after great play from Aluko. The winger beat several players and found Milsom. His right foot shot was heading for the net when Enckelman turned the ball over the bar. The subsequent corner failed to produce an opening.

Three minutes later McNamee made a terrific challenge to concede a corner after a mistake from Aluko. Aberdeen fans were incensed a minute later when Considine was penalised after making a well timed tackle. The free kick almost led to a goal and only another fine save from Langfield prevented that. Aberdeen immediately broke through Aluko and won a free kick when Milsom was taken down. A corner quickly followed and had Enckelman punching at fresh air. Unfortunately Considine was taken by surprise and couldn't punish the keeper.

This was a lively start to the second half and it continued in the 58th minute when MacDonald and Samuel broke and Langfield made another terrific save from the latter. At the other end a great cross from Aluko looked to be finding Blackman when a Saints defender intercepted to concede a corner. From the corner Aberdeen forced the play before referee Thomson halted play for an infringement from Blackman. Vujadinovic replaced McArdle in the 61st minute as the Irishman must have still been suffering from his head knock he picked up at the weekend.

Young then replaced Jack two minutes later as Brown looked for the key to unlock this Saints defence. Vernon won a rare free kick in a dangerous position and Milsom almost found the striker with his delivery, but an infringement ended the attack. In the 66th minute Saints should have taken the lead as Craig went one-on-one with Langfield and once again the keeper made a great save then Vujadinovic followed up to block the rebound and he took a nasty knock from the challenge with Davidson.

A corner kick quickly followed and a wild effort finally eased the pressure. Vujadinovic returned after some treatment although he was limping heavily. Saints were enjoying a good spell at this stage and they won another free kick in a dangerous position with 70 minutes on the clock. They took an eternity to take the free kick and it was hardly worth the wait as Grainger fired well over. Considine was cautioned two minutes later after a poor challenge and seconds later Smith made a great tackle to keep Saints out.

Magennis replaced Blackman in the 74th minute and within a minute Vernon won a free kick 25 yards out, but the Dons failed to create a clear chance. In the 78th minute Magennis and Aluko combined well to feed Vernon, but the Saints defence were quickly on to the big striker. A shocking challenge on Milsom from Davidson should have produced a booking, but the Saints man was lucky to escape with a quick word. Aberdeen then got a break in the 82nd minute when a challenge by McNamee on MacDonald inside the Aberdeen box was adjudged fair. The home support did not agree.

Saints were enjoying the better of the play now and Aberdeen had to defend stoutly as they were forced back. In the 88th minute they did manage to force their way forward, but they could not break through as Saints stood firm. The Dons were starting to defend really deep and in the final minute an effort went inches wide of the Dons post as the fourth official indicated three minutes of stoppage time. A long throw into the box was well cleared and picked up by Aluko, but his delivery was too strong for Magennis. Grainger was booked in the last minute as Aberdeen won a late free kick, but the delivery from Milsom was poor and the last chance to grab a goal was lost.

St. Johnstone Teamsheet
Peter Enckelman, David MacKay, Steven Anderson, Graham Gartland, Daniel Grainger, Peter MacDonald, Jody Morris (Jamie Adams 85), Murray Davidson, Liam Craig, Collin Samuel (Steve May 85), Daniele Invincibile (Stephen Reynolds 79). Unused Subs: Graeme Smith, Alan Maybury, Cleveland Taylor, Arvydas Novikovas.

Bookings:  Daniel Grainger 90,   Daniele Invincibile 42.
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Langfield, McArdle (Vujadinovic 61), McNamee, Considine, Smith, Aluko, Hartley, Jack (Young 63), Milsom, Vernon, Blackman (Magennis 74).

Unused Subs: Howard, Paton, Anderson, Pawlett.

Bookings:  Considine (73).
Attendance: 2,909
Venue: McDiarmid Park, Perth
Referee: Craig Thomson, Paisley
Next Match
23 Jul 2024 / 19:45 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen