Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 0 Kilmarnock

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Kilmarnock

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Low, Low, Lennie.

19/01/1907 | KO:

These clubs met at Aberdeen in their return Scottish League match befor 5000 spectators. Play was pretty equal in the first half, but the finishing of both teams was weak. In the second period, however, Aberdeen asserted their superiority, and Kilmarnock were thoroughly outplayed. Henry Low scored two brilliant goals and Lennie in the closing stages added a third. Result:- Aberdeen, three goals; Kilmarnock, nothing.

Source: The Scotsman, 21st January 1907

Aberdeen and Kilmarnock met at Pittodrie Park in their return League engagement on Saturday. The ground was frost bound, but a covering of sand enabled the players to up to a good foothold. Kilmarnock were short of McCallum, right back, and Barton, outside right, while Halkett was unable to turn out for Aberdeen, the last named suffering from a weak ankle. Davidson took his place. About 5000 spectators witnessed the game. Teams:-

Aberdeen: Macfarlane; Boyle, Brebner; Davidson, Strang, W. Low; Macdonald, H. Low, McKinley, O'Hagan, Lennie.
up to Kilmarnock: Young; Mitchell, Agnew; Shaw, Anderson, Crichton; Morton, Maxwell, Graham, Drain, Brown.
Referee - Mr. Turnbull, Hurlford.

Aberdeen won the toss, and played towards the pavilion goal with the wind in their favour. Kilmarnock opened strongly, and for a time had the best of matters. Although the Aberdeen backs time and again cleared their lines, the Ayrshire players kept up a persistent attack on the Aberdeen goal. Macfarlane, however, was rarely troubled. Graham was prominent in the centre for Kilmarnock, and twice he got through the Aberdeen defence. Gradually the local players forced their way to the other end of the field, chiefly through the exertions of Lennie and O'Hagan. The game proceeded on brisk lines, and all over the play was evenly divided. First one side attacked without success, while the next minute the scene of operations was transferred to the opposite end. The ball travelled very fast on the hard ground, and many exciting passages ensued near both goals. The Kilmarnock right wing - Maxwell being specially clever - gave the Aberdeen defence a good deal of trouble, while the smart, tricky work of Lennie and O'Hagan kept the Kilmarnock defenders on the alert. A neat header by McKinley, followed upon good work by Davidson, almost brought a goal to Aberdeen, the Kilmarnock goalkeeper clearing in the nick of time. Still, one team could claim the full advantage over the other; indeed if anything, Kilmarnock were playing the better game. Their half-backs tackled and forced the pace with rare determination, only to be met, however, by reliable defence on the part of Aberdeen. W. Low opened out the game for his side, while O'Hagan, catching up a pass from the left-half, raced straight ahead for goal. The Kilmarnock backs were rarely at fault, however, and Aberdeen failed to find an opening, that even when they were monopolising the play. A brilliant run by Lennie evoked great enthusiasm. The left winger cut into the centre, and, working his way cleverly through the opposition, he passed out to O'Hagan. The latter crossed at the right time to Macdonald, who banged the ball into goal, Young saving finely on the post. By way of a change, Kilmarnock took a turn at pressing, but Strang and the backs were at the top of their form, and kept the opposing forwards well in hand. Lennie lost a rare opportunity of scoring with only the goalkeeper to beat, while Crichton was also at fault the next minute. A misunderstanding between Brebner and W. Low almost brought the downfall of the Aberdeen goal. Near midfield the two Aberdeen players got mixed up in tackling the outside right, who raced clean away, and when within a few yards of Macfarlane the Kilmarnock right winger was on the point of shooting when Boyle rushed across and robbed him of the ball - a narrow escape for Aberdeen. Near the interval Henry Low caught up a pass from the left wing and drove straight for goal, Young bringing off a wonderfully good save. At half-time the teams stood level - no scoring.

The second half opened greatly in favor of Aberdeen. That they were determined to open the scoring was easily seen by the quick movements of their forwards, who were capitally supported by Davidson and Strang. Shortly after the restart, Macdonald picked up a pass from the left wing, and with a terrific, low drive the right winger almost succeeded in a lowering the Kilmarnock's colours. Young's saving was of a marvellous order, and how he managed to clear from Macdonald is perhaps best known to himself. Aberdeen's continued bombardment of their opponents' goal at last brought its reward. Seven minutes from the restart O'Hagan got off on his own account. He then sent the ball across to Macdonald, while the latter judiciously transferred to Henry Low. The last-named saw his chance, and took it, shooting with great force without a moment's hesitation. The ball struck the inside of the crossbar, the goalkeeper having no chance of saving. Play thereafter slackened down. Aberdeen took the game in hand, but did not force matters. At times Kilmarnock broke away on the right and in the centre, while Drain at inside left also made headway, but there was no sting in their shooting. Played brightened up considerably when Lennie got lively on the left wing, the Kilmarnock defence being powerless to keep him in check. Time after time he dribbled, dodged ahead, and centred at his own free will. A momentary breakaway by Kilmarnock was followed by a corner, and they came very near equalising, Macfarlane picking up the ball in the midst of a crowd of players. A quick movement by Lennie, and a timely pass to Henry Low, gave the latter a fine opening, with the result that Aberdeen stood two goals up, Young having no chance with Low's effort. Close on time Lennie scored a third goal from a pass by Davidson. The winners were the better team, and the score in no way exaggerates their superiority.

Gate and stands, £109 12s 9d.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 21st January 1907

A Fine Game.

After a few weeks of second and third-rate football, it was refreshing to have a game served up like what we had on Saturday. Many enthusiasts were absent through want of faith in their team, but if they had been at Pittodrie their waning faith would have been strengthened. Aberdeen were value for twice as many goals as they actually scored by their superior methods in every way. Their persistency in the first half often placed the whole of the Kilmarnock on the defensive, and it was impossible to get through. This and Young's splendid goalkeeping kept the home side from at least a couple of good goals. Inches of variation in the flight of the ball would have made all the difference in the world to shots by Macdonald, Low, and Lennie. To us the Kilmarnock forwards, with the exception of Graham, never looked a dangerous lot. Strang, Davidson, and W. Low were generally equal to all the demands made on them, and behind them Boyle and Brebner were tip-top. There was a confidence all round that if Aberdeen played as well in the second period as they had finished up the first, goals were bound to come. Young and Mitchell took some getting round all the same, and only the wiles of O'Hagan and Lennie upset their calculations, and the resultant cross let Henry Low bang the ball into the net. The Killie lads, after this reverse, set about keeping down the score. and their defensive tactics were rather wearying to watch. We were prepared for a single goal victory, when another magnificent effort by Henry put his side two up. It was just as good a goal as I have seen taken on Pittodrie for some time. Lennie finished up with a regular flier which put everybody round the enclosure happy, with the exception, perhaps, of the Killie officials. Aberdeen thus won by 3 goals to nil, and, as already remarked, they might have won by more had their luck been anything but outrageous.

The Players.

Killie's defence were the best part of their team on Saturday. Mitchell and Agnew are a pair of hard-working backs of the risky order. Young is a safe custodian, but the halves did not show so well as they usually do. Graham is by far their most dangerous forward , closely followed by the right wing pair. For the home side Macfarlane had little to do, but Boyle and Brebner were in fine form, the first named doing some good work. Davidson, who took Halkett's place, put in a lot of telling work, and he and Strang were the two best halves on the field. W. Low did not put in his usual amount of work, and seemed fagged before the finish. All the forwards were good. except the centre, who at times seemed to fail in landing at the proper time on the ball, either being too far in front or too far behind. With more practice we should fancy this will be remedied, as on Saturday's play they are the most dangerous lot Aberdeen have played this season.

Chatty Bits.

If Aberdeen were accounted lucky in winning by 3-1 at Rugby Park the same could not he said of Saturday's result.
Those who saw this game will admit that the luck was all on the other side.
Where McKinley failed on Saturday was not in effort to do well, but in not being on the spot to shoot at the right time.
All the same the centre played a worrying game with the backs which made up for his other deficiency.
Halket decided on Saturday morning not to risk his ankle, but his absence was not serious to his side with Davidson in the best trim.
Davidson impressed everyone as being able to fill a vacancy at any time in the middle line.
Lennie and O'Hagan are a couple of artistes. Their dribbling was a treat and worth going miles to see.
MacDonald gave some capital shots from the line which deserved to count.
The Killie players expected to make a much closer fight of it, and were determined to take one point away.
Aberdeen demonstrate, as we remarked at the time, that there was no fluke in the 3-1 result.
The success on Saturday means that the "Wasps" have taken full points off Kilmarnock for the season.
Assuming that no untoward incident occurs on Saturday, and that the tie is brought to a finish, Aberdeen will have Hamilton Academicals and Motherwell as their successive guests in the League at home.
Aberdeen A complained of the, long, cold journey to Dunfermline on Saturday. It was well on in the second period before they got up steam to show what they could do.
The heavy ground did not suit them at all, and but for Mutch being in grand form Dunfermline should have had more goals.
Dunfermline centre-half, Innes, is a clinker, and deserves to be looked after.
Johnstone will have a few hundred supporters along with them on Saturday.
It is intended to send the team on Friday evening, if the weather is at all suitable.
There may he an upheaval in the A team forwards, as severa1 of them have been cripples during the week.
A final selection may be left till tonight to see how they stand their training.
The kick-off for the Scottish tie at Pittodrie this week is three o'clock. Mr. J. Nisbet, Edinburgh, is referee.

Source: Bon-Accord, 24th January 1907

Kilmarnock Teamsheet
Young; Mitchell, Agnew; Shaw, Anderson, Crichton; Morton, Maxwell, Graham, Drain, Brown
Attendance: 5,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. Turnbull, Hurlford
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride