Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 4 - 1 Dunfermline Athletic

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 1 Dunfermline Athletic

Northern League
Aberdeen scorers: Cruickshank, Harvey, Gault, Davidson.
Dunfermline Athletic scorers: Douglas

26/08/1905 | KO: 15:30

Aberdeen A made their first appearance at Pittodrie in a Northern League fixture on Saturday afternoon, when they had as their opponents, Dunfermline Athletics. The weather was dull, rain having fallen heavily in the forenoon, and this no doubt had an effect on the attendance which when the game started, only numbered about 1000. Teams:-
Aberdeen A: Herd; Lockhart, Gault; W Low, Adamson, Robertson; Harvey, Duncan, Davidson, Cruikshank, Jaffrey.
Dunfermline: Foster; Pitblado, Meldrum; Paterson, Duff, Christie; Ferguson, McLeod, Douglas, Tait, Alexander.
Referee - Mr. Golding, Dundee.

Dunfermline won the toss and Davidson kicked off against a strong easterly breeze. Aberdeen at once made for the visitors' quarters, but the backs cleared. The blue's then carried the ball to the west. Gault made a bad miss, and Herd had to save a stiff shot from close in. Aberdeen's right got away, and Cruikshank, accepting a beautiful pass from Low, and after outwitting the backs, he had little difficulty in scoring Aberdeen's first goal. The blue's retaliated in a determined fashion, and Alexander had a good try, but the ball went past. Play was transferred to the other end, and Aberdeen looked dangerous, but Foster cleared. Give-and-take play followed for a time, and Douglas, from the penalty line, had a good shot, which was checked by Robertson. Hylton got away and looked like scoring, but Meldrum hooked the ball across to the left, and, after some passing by the Aberdeen forwards, Jaffrey sent in a low shot, but Foster easily cleared. The homesters were having the best of matters, and several runs by the outside men were stopped by Pitblado and Meldrum. The play was very fast, each end being visited in turn. Davidson from the touch line sent a swift low shot across the goalmouth, and Foster only managed to avert further disaster by giving away a corner the blues next made a successful excursion to the other end, and Alexander getting on the ball crossed to Ferguson. Gault attempted to stop him, but Herd run out of his goal, and, making a wild kick missed the ball, which rolled across the goalmouth, and Douglas rushing in equalised. Aberdeen once more visited Foster, and Davidson gave him a hot one to save, but the custodian again knocked the ball behind. Play was of a give-and-take nature, there being little to choose between the two teams. Half-time arrived with the Aberdeen in the visitors' territory.

On resuming, Aberdeen early invaded the blues' citadel, but Davidson headed past. One of the half-backs tried a drop shot, and Jaffrey rushed in, but missed. Soon afterwards he made another attempt, but Pitblado intercepted him, and kicked into touch. The blue's gradually wore down the field, and Herd was tested, but he had little difficulty in saving. The Aberdeen's forwards were doing all the pressing, but were kept well in hand by the visitors' backs. Aberdeen obtained the lead through Harvey, who caught a nice pass from the left, and rushing in drove hard. Foster saved, but the ball again landed at Harvey's feet, when that player made no mistake. Jaffrey had a good opportunity, but the ball went wide. From a corner, Harvey was again prominent. Catching a pass, he made tracks for Foster, but Meldrum got in front of him, and, after a smart turn, Harvey let drive. Foster darted from the other side of the goal, and affected a grand saved, while a short time afterwards he saved and a similar manner a rocket shot from Cruikshank. The ball landed near Davidson, who only missed the mark by a few inches. Harvey again drew forth the admiration of the spectators by another splendid cross from the touch line, which Foster stopped. Jaffrey had a long shot. The ball went across the goalmouth, and Foster tipped it behind. From the corner, Gault, who was about fifty yards out, beat Foster with a swift shot. A short time afterwards Davidson added a fourth from close in. The game ended with the homesters invading the Dunfermline's goal. The gate amounted to £26.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 28th August 1905

Dunfermline Athletic Teamsheet
Foster; Pitblado, Meldrum; Paterson, Duff, Christie; Ferguson, McLeod, Douglas, Tait, Alexander
Attendance: 1,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. J. Golding, Dundee Wanderers
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride