Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 1 Dundee A

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 1 Dundee A

Scottish Second XI Cup Replay
Aberdeen scorers: Robertson.
Dundee A scorers: Nimmo

15/09/1906 | KO: 15:45

Aberdeen A met Dundee A at Pittodrie, Aberdeen, in a re-play in the first round of the Scottish Second XI Cup. On the previous Saturday, Aberdeen A drew with the Dundee reserves at Dens Park, and while it was fully expected that the local reserves would pass into the second round on Saturday, the game resulted in another draw of one goal each. There were fully 3000 spectators present when the teams lined up as follows:-
Aberdeen A: Lickley; Willox, Brebner; Davidson, J. J. Simpson, Gowie Robertson; J. Robertson, Lawrie, McKinley, R. Simpson, McKenzie.
Dundee A: Crumley; Oswald, Chaplin; Watson, Ramsay, Ogilvie; Mitchell, Nimmo, McDonald, Thomson, Fairweather.
Referee - Pr. Philip, Dunfermline.

Dundee, winning the toss, decided to play with the sun and wind in their favour. Shortly after the start Dundee's goal had a very narrow escape. Brebner at the other end relieved grandly, and Gowie Robertson, seizing the ball, took it right down the field. The ball rolled across Dundee's goal, but before a local forward could get up, Oswald kicked out. A mistake by Willox almost brought about a goal, but Brebner, rushing in, cleared with a grand kick. Aberdeen did all the pressing, and Dundee's goal had several narrow escapes. J. Robertson was laid out, and had to leave the field for a few minutes. Dundee managed to break away occasionally, but their forwards were weak in front of goal. Play was still very fast, and the Dundee backs were none too particular in their methods of clearing. Chaplan was twice warned by the referee for fouling J. Robertson close to the penalty line. The locals were all over their opponents and if it had not been for the fine goalkeeping of Crumley, Aberdeen would have had a crop of goals to their credit. All the Aberdeen forwards were in shooting form, but Crumley was unbeatable. Play raged fast and furios, and no little feeling was shown by the players, Aberdeen being granted many fouls. J. Robertson, on the right wing, was playing a grand game for Aberdeen, and although he was always closely attended by two, and sometimes three, Dundee men, he repeatedly made ground. A well timed and neat overhead return by J. Roberson to the centre was headed in by McKinley, but Crumley was all there and fisted the ball away. Oswald and Chaplan were sound defenders. The locals forced three corners in rapid succession, but the ball on each occasion was sent away. J. J. Simpson and Gowie Robertson were the best halves on the field. Dundee had a look in occasionally, and a great shot from Thomson missed by inches. Nimmo, after outwitting Brebner, sent the ball into the net, far out of Lickley's reach. Inspired by this success Dundee now did all the pressing and forced two corners, which, however, proved fruitless. Aberdeen forced the visitors back, and R. Simpson placed the ball in the net, but the whistle had previously been blown for offside, and the point was disallowed. Dundee again forced the pace, and a grand shot by McDonald from far out shook the crossbar. Lickley on goal saved repeatedly, fisting and kicking in masterly fashion. Oswald and Chaplan were both warned by the referee for deliberately fouling opponents. Lawrie was presented with a good chance in the last minute of the first half, but he sent behind.


After fifteen minutes' restthe game was resumed. Dundee were the first to become dangerous, but Brebner relieved. Play being transferred to the othe end, Dundee's goal underwent many narrow escapes, and in the first two minutes Aberdeen were granted a penalty for one of the Dundee backs handling within the penalty line. Davidson, who was appointed to take the kick, missed. Aberdeen would not let Dundee away, and play was fast and exciting in front of the visitors' goal. The locals went at it for all they were worth. They seemed to be determined to get a goal. Shot after shot was sent in, and Crumley had to clear again and again. The Aberdeen half-backs had very often to kick out when the backs were defeated. Crumley in goal for Dundee was giving a class display, and he saved Dundee from an overwhelming defeat. A combined attack on the Dundee goal resulted in one of the visitors' backs again handling within the penalty line. R. Simpson was called on by the spectators to take the kick, but, like Davidson, he sent the ball past. BAd luck appeared to be with Aberdeen, and although they were far in advance of the visitors, score they could not. Such an exhibition of goalkeeping as that given by Crumley has not been seen at Pittodrie for a long time. Corner after corner was forced by Aberdeen, but they were all ineffectual. Dundee managed to break away occasionally, but as a rule their forwards were weak in front of goal. Willox and Brebner had very little to do, but what they did they did well. J. Robertson raised the enthusiasm of the crowd to a high pitch. Five minutes from time he dashed along his wing, dribbled the Dundee defence into helplessness, and, with fine precision, judgement, and unerring aim, lashed the ball into the net. Robertson's effort was a great one, and he thoroughly deserved the enthusiastic cheers of the crowd. Now that the game was level, Aberdeen went at it with great dash. It would have been no surprise if they had added another point, and they would in all probability have done so, the final whistle sounding as Crumley weakly cleared a shot from McKinley, and the game ended in a draw of one goal each. The gate amounted to £71.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 17th September 1906

As you were!

So fine combined work was not shown by the Aberdeen Reserves as on a fortnight ago. Nevertheless, what there was lacking in combination was made up for in excitement. It was for a long lime a battle of Aberdeen v. Crumley. All shots, good and bad, were directed at the Dundonian, but he kicked and fisted out everything that came his way. There were some passages of a lively nature, the rereree having to lecture one or two of the players. From a fairly decent run on the right, Nimmo scraped through a goal which was deserved on play, for Dundee had wakened up a bit before the first half closed. Immediately the second half began, Aberdeen got their chance to score, but failed. Another penalty allowed them a grand opportunity but Stewart Davidson struck the crossbar. A few minutes later another penally was granted. R. Simpson missed the posts altogether. When the match seemed lost and won, for there were only five minutes to go, Robertson tipped into Crumley who failed to hold, and the game was level. There was a fight by both teams for a win, but it did not come, and for the second time the game ended 1-1.

The Players.

By being too eager Aberdeen Reserves threw away the game on Saturday. There was a lack of concerted improvement in the front line since we saw them last, due principally to the breaking-up tactics of the opposing halves and backs. Chaplin risked a lot and was dangerous to a degree. Crumley was the most resplendent of the Dundee side, whose forwards were only at times on the "dot." Lickley got very few chances to hold on, his work being mostly confined to looking on. Brebner was much the better back of the two, the half-backs playing well, though J. J. Simpson did not get so frequently away as he would have liked. McKinley seemed to be afraid, he became a passenger after Chaplin pinched him. McKenzie was his equal, Simpson being off his usual game as feeder.

Chatty Bits

Aberdeen created a record for draws in the 2nd XI. Scottish ties. How will the replay come off?
Dens Park and Pittodrie are both engaged next Saturday for First League business, so that they can't be utilised. The only possible way is to ask for an extension of time.
Though there was only a Poor gate at Dundee, Aberdonians showed their interest in the reserves by turning out strong. The gate, all in, came to £83 10s.
We fancy had Jimmy Robertson not been laid out so soon he would have taxed the Dundee defence. As it was he was purely a passenger most of the time, though he did get the only goal.
Saturday's experience in penalty kicks will be a lesson to the Reserves to have some one ready to do this job. "Gowie" ought to havemade Davidson take the second one.
Crumley gave a great exhibition, but was a trifle reckless. Some of his halves could have been utilised had the local lads kept cool.
The chances are that the replay will take place on the 29th at Dundee when both grounds are vacant.
The winner of the tie has to meet the Hearts A team, and the tie is due for this Saturday. It will have to wait.
Mr. Philip, Dunfermline, seemed well up to his duties in holding the whistle. Aberdonians were more than pleased with his work on Saturday.

Source: Bon-Accord, 20th September 1906

Dundee A Teamsheet
Crumley; Oswald, Chaplin; Watson, Ramsay, Ogilvie; Mitchell, Nimmo, McDonald, Thomson, Fairweather
Attendance: 3,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. D. Philip, Dunfermline
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride