Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 2 Forfar Athletic

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 1 Forfar Athletic

Northern League
Aberdeen scorers: Simpson, Simpson, Davidson.
Forfar Athletic scorers: McLean, McLean

16/03/1907 | KO: 15:30

The Aberdeen A team were welcomed back to Pittodrie on Saturday after months absence by a fairly large crowd, and as Forfar Athletic provided the opposition on this occasion, the spectators are expected a good rousing game, for the Forfar lads had a reputation in Northern League circles. The teams were:-

Aberdeen A: Mutch; Willox, Young; Gowie Robertson, JJ Simpson, Davidson; McEachern ('Varsity), John Robertson, McKinley, Lawrie, Caie.
Forfar: Mills; Skene, Stewart; Coull, Young, Bruce; Robertson, Langlands, McLean, Laird, Troup.
Referee - Mr. Winter, Dundee.

Both sides had a share in the pressure, and while the locals had a few promising invasions, marked by good cohesive work, the most dangerous efforts came from the Forfar left wing. Mutch on one occasion banged out, and the ball rebounded off Laird, and just scraped over the bar. An attack which brought out some excitement might have got a point for Aberdeen but for bad judgment in front of goal. Davidson shot past from an easy position, and then McKinley, after manoeuvring neatly round the opposition backs, lifted the sphere over. Play was very scrappy, but at last a point came to the homesters. The pressure was hot enough while it lasted, and after Mills had fisted out Simpson drove hard into the net. One the ball was no sooner sent agoing again and Aberdeen were up at Mills, but the goal line was packed, and the repeated hard drives were literally blocked until the ball went behind. This was followed by a flash up the centre towards Mutch a melee they're that looked dangerous was only relieved by an offside ruling about six yards from the goal line. Robertson, on the Forfar right, was the most prominent in the visitors' van, and on several occasions he proved more than a match for Gowie Robertson. The Forfar winger improved as the game went on, and showed some touches of the Lennie order. He did old beautifully, and centred to McLean, who drove from a difficult position, and with a swift, curling shot beat Mutch completely. Willox and Young were frequently called upon, but they generally rose to the occasion. But dint of hard work on the Aberdeen left, the venue was changed to the sea end, but Gowie Robertson tried a long range punt, which went wide. Down again on the right flashed the ball, and Robertson centred beautifully to McLean, who tested Mutch. The custodian just saved, and a clearance was only made with difficulty. At the other end a great chance was lost by Caie with or recklessly high shot, while nearer the interval McEchern had a great try on the run. Good work on the right resulted in Caie having a fine open Trinity presented to him, but he failed to take advantage of it.

The second period opened with a good deal of excitement in front of Mills, but the defence was equal to it, and following upon a clearance there were several races up too Mutch, in which the Forfar men showed pretty foot work. Their work was, however, nullified by the home backs, and Mutch was seldom called upon. In the Forfar defence there was a palpable weakness, but Mills fought pluckily, and saved his citadel from downfall more than once. Most trouble came from the Forfar right winger, who had sized up Gowie Robertson nicely. The leading point, however, came from the left wing, a nice pass from Troup being picked up by McLean. The pivot swung the ball directly into the net, giving Mutch no chance to avert the disaster. The reverse had no immediate effect on Aberdeen, but a great rush, promoted by Simpson, brought the equaliser. The fight lasted about a minute, and Simpson finished with a shot that struck the inside of the bar and then curled out again. There was some dispute about the point, but the referee held firmly to his decision, and the point was allowed. Again McEachern came bounding along the margin and crossed squarely. The chance was a great one, but it was not till Davidson stepped in at the ball was guided in. The points were well merited, and seemed to demoralize the strangers to a great extent, for from the time right up to the finish the home men had easily the best of matters. In summing up the game, credit must be given to the local halves, and particularly to Simpson; while of the defence, they did all that was required of them. The front line was by no means perfect, and in this department McEachern might be said to be the outstanding man. In the Forfar combination, Robertson, on the right wing, and McLean, as pivot, were easily the best; but, as a whole, the van showed good understanding. The halves were on an equality, but Stewart was streets ahead of Skene, into the former the credit of saving a higher adverse score must be given, although Mills, between the posts, justified his place in the team.

Gate, £40.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 18th March 1907

The A's Win.

There was an interesting bout at Pittodrie between Forfar Athletic and the Reserve team. The visitors' team may not have the knack of showing the finer points of the game, but they get there, and are as nippy a lot as we have seen at Pittodrie for some time.
It is an open question which goalkeeper got most to do in the first half, but both performed well and saved some good shots. After thirty minutes' play, J. J. Simpson got his foot on, and the ball was in the net from a true, straight drive, one of John's own. Before crossing McLean equalised for Forfar with a good effort which Mutch could not stop. Level at half-time, the visitors, after doing a short spell of home defence, burst away on the left, and the centre outwitted Mutch with an oblique shot out of the goalkeeper's reach. Almost immediately, McKinley was all but through, but he failed to get the ball with him, and from the pressure, Simpson again got the goal, though this was a doubtful one to many. The ball struck inside the cross-bar and then rebounded back again and it was in the second rebound before the goalkeeper got it, the referee at the same time pointing to midfield. The ball was through but it was a near thing. Right from the kick¬off the home lot worked the ball beautifully down the field, beating the Kirriemuir custodian all the way and putting Aberdeen on the lead. There was no further scoring, the game ending 3-2 in favour of the home side.
It was a really interesting game, Aberdeen having the better of the exchanges, and with a more capable centre ought to have scored more goals. McEachran made a fine first appearance at outside right, and should be given another trial. All the others were too eager to score, and lost ever so many chances. The halves were the mainstay of the team. Wilton was good and bad by turns, his nasty habit of stopping the ball and then waiting till the man is on him was too apparent on Saturday, while Young had a warm handful to hold, and did it very well. Mutch was very safe in goal. Forfar were best served at right back, centre forward, and outside left, while their midget goalkeeper was awfully smart. Mr. Winter proved an extremely capable referee.

Source: Bon-Accord, 21st March 1907

Forfar Athletic Teamsheet
Mills; Skene, Stewart; Coull, Young, Bruce; Robertson, Langlands, McLean, Laird, Troup
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. J. Winter, Dundee
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride