Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 1 Kirkcaldy United

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 1 Kirkcaldy United

Northern League
Kirkcaldy United scorers: Fairley, McNulty

23/03/1907 | KO:

Played at Aberdeen before 2000 spectators. The visitors had slightly the better of matters in the first half, and opened the scoring by McNalty. Aberdeen equalised before half-time. The second period was a tame one, and no scoring by either team keft the game a drawn one. Result:- One goal each.

Source: The Scotsman, 25th March 1907

The Aberdeen A team were at home on Northern League business for the second week in succession, their opponents being Kirkcaldy United, the leaders in the League. The weather was ideal, and the pitch appeared to be in good condition. The teams were:-

Aberdeen A: Mutch; Willox, Young; Davidson, Simpson, Robertson; McEachern, Robertson, Lawrie, Caie, McKenzie.
Kirkcaldy United: Dorward; Birrell, Neilson; Cowie, Rankine, Mercer; Fairlie, Gray, Lyon, Burnett, McNulty.
Referee - Mr. Winter, Dundee.

After midfield exchanges, Kirkcaldy by all round superior play force to Aberdeen to adopt the defensive. The visitors were active, and gave the Aberdeen half-backs and backs plenty of running. A slip by Willox lead in Burnett, who shot past. Persistence say in attack by the Kirkcaldy team troubled the home backs, and a miss by Young looked dangerous. Mutch, however, was on the alert, and running out from his goal kicked the ball away. In the play, which was almost constantly had the Aberdeen end of the field, Willox was a stout and sure defender, his partner, Young, being less reliable. After a time the A team attacked, but the forwards were loose in their movements, and failed to combine, this being in part due to the worrying tactics of the fife half backs. And the sure tackling and kicking of the backs. The Fife goalkeeper saved twice, a high drooping shot from Davidson being cleared with difficulty. Although both teams did a lot of running and kicking, the game was by no means exciting, and was at times even lacking in interest. Kirkcaldy were the cleverer lot, their left wing being very aggressive. After the ball had been several times sent behind by the visitors, Mutch cleared a header from Gray, and a keen tussle took place near the Aberdeen goal, Young ultimately getting in his kick, and bringing momentary relief. Kirkcaldy repeatedly looked like scoring, and they had only what they deserved on play when Fairley banged the ball into the net, beating Mutch with a hard drive. Aberdeen got the equalizer somewhat unexpectedly from a sudden rush, McKenzie scoring with a good shot from a pass from the right. Kirkcaldy again applied prolonged pressure, but, thanks to the exertions of the Aberdeen defence, and Gowie Robertson, Davidson, and Willox in particular, the visitors could not get the leading goal. Near the interval the Aberdeen team forced the pace, the right wing, through clever work by McEachern, having several lively runs. Sound play by the Kirkcaldy backs beat off the attack.

Play in the second half was a repetition of that in the first period, Kirkcaldy being the superior side, although they finished badly. The backs on both sides were too good for the attack, and the result was that neither goalkeeper got very much to do. Both teams pressed in turn, the best attempt at scoring being made by McEachern, who struck the outside of the net with a fast shot Dorward saved in a hot Aberdeen attack, and Kirkcaldy were almost through at the other end when Willox blocked McNulty, and kicked the ball away. Dorward saved a low shot from Lawrie. Two wards the close Mutch was beaten by a long shot from the Kirkcaldy left, but luckily the ball was a few feet wide of the mark and went past. The game was disappointing. Gate, £48.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 25th March 1907

A Close Game at Pittodrie.

Most of the spectators expected to see a much better game at Pittodrie on Saturday. Kirkcaldy gave the A's 6-2 in the first match this season, but they were far from looking a victorious team on Saturday. After the first 3o minutes the A's had it all their own way, and should have won. A fine start was made, and Caie, having over-run the ball, let Nelson punt clear on to his forwards, who set about Wilcox and Mutch to some tune. The back once missed ball and man, and how Fairley did not score, he alone only knows. Had Aberdeen been two goals down in the first ten minutes it would only have been what they deserved. The shooting was vile on both sides, and it took five-and-twenty minutes of precious time before McNalty put on a very fine goal. This success was short-lived, as McKenzie equalised with a terrific drive. A most disappointing second half was witnessed. The home side had the most chances to score, but a pair of reliable backs and custodian defied them. The visiting forwards made a feeble attempt at lashing on the ball, which was met by free kicks by the opposing backs. Till within measurable distance from the finish there was hardly a gallop left in the attack, and then the spurt for the winning goal, which never came, was a bit refreshing to go away with. A draw was the result, and, candidly speaking, neither side deserved to win, as both had chances which they let slip. Of the two sides Kirkcaldy were the more disappointing, considering that they are the leaders at the present moment.

Source: Bon-Accord, 28th March 1907

Kirkcaldy United Teamsheet
Dorward; Birrell, Neilson; Cowie, Rankine, Mercer; Fairlie, Gray, Lyon, Burnett, McNulty
Attendance: 2,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. J. Winter, Dundee
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride