Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 0 - 0 Forfar Athletic

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Forfar Athletic

Northern League

03/10/1908 | KO: 15:30

These teams met at Pittodrie Park, Aberdeen, in their return Northern League game on Saturday afternoon in broiling weather. There was an attendance of 1500 spectators. The teams were:-

Aberdeen A: King; Hannah, McCunn; Booth, Macfarlane, Low; Hay, Towns, Dalgarno, Roberts, Ritchie.
Forfar Athletic: Orr; Mudie, Gibb; Stewart, McInally, Bruce; Proctor, Docherty, McConnell, Troup, Robertson.
Referee - Mr. W. Arthur, Stirling.

Aberdeen A lost the toss, and in the first half had to contend with a strong sun. The visitors went off with a rush, and King had to handle in the first minute. Troup might have turned the keepers clearance to his sides a count, but he misjudged. Dalgarno relieved the pressure, but Mudie cleared finely. Forfar were playing in eager fashion, and for a time operations were confined to Aberdeen Territory, but Low, Macfarlane, and Hannah proved the mainstay of the defence. The homesters then took the game in hand, and a series of incursions on Forfar half were nullified by miserable shooting near goal. An exciting incident occurred sometime later. Hay accepted a pass from Roberts, and shot from a difficult position. The ball head Orr, and went to Dalgarno, whose shot also struck the keeper. Towns got the rebound, but his shot struck the player in front. Dalgarno again caught the rebound, and the ball was going through when McInally fisted out below the bar. Macfarlane missed the resultant penalty. Forfar had a spell of retaliation, but there was no scoring at half time.

On the resumption King had to clear at full length, but the visitors' attack was only momentary, and they soon were confined to their own area. Once, after a good piece of work by Hay, Roberts got the ball a few yards out, and with nobody to beat, waited till he was tackled and robbed. Macfarlane had some good dribbling runs, but his passes were not turned to account. Played became very uninteresting, and fouls were frequent. From a breakaway by Robertson, Aberdeen's goal had a narrow escape, Robertson's final effort missing by inches. Dalgarno had a pot shot at Orr, who cleared on the post. Near the close, Aberdeen tried hard to get on the lead, but bad shooting kept them from attaining their object, and an uninteresting game ended - Aberdeen A, 0, Forfar Athletic, 0.

The outstanding men on the home side where Hannah, Macfarlane, Low, Hay, and Ritchie, while Forfar were best served by Orr, Mudie, McInally, Troup, and Robertson. Gate, £35.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 5th October 1908

Forfar Athletic Teamsheet
Orr; Mudie, Gibb; Stewart, McInally, Bruce; Proctor, Docherty, McConnell, Troup, Robertson
Attendance: 1,500
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. W. McArthur, Stirling