Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 4 - 0 Buckie Thistle

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Buckie Thistle

Aberdeenshire Cup Final
Aberdeen scorers: Wilson, Hay, Wilson, Hay.
Buckie Thistle scorers:

13/03/1909 | KO: 15:30

An Interesting Final.

These teams met at Pittodrie Park, Aberdeen, on Saturday afternoon, before 1500 spectators. Teams:-

Up Aberdeen A: King; Hannah, Macfarlane; Davidson, Simpson, McConnachie; Hay, Towns, Wilson, Ritchie, Edgar.
Buckie Thistle: Paterson; G. Reid, Duncan; Thomson, G. Clark, Patterson; J. Clark, Leslie, McKenzie, J. Reid, Stewart.
Referee - Mr. J Bell, Dundee.

Buckie had the wind in their favour in the first half, and there was great enthusiasm among the 300 supporters who accompanied them to Aberdeen when Clark had a brilliant run at the start. Aberdeen soon asserted their superiority, and Paterson had to kick out from Hay. Play and veered round to the other end, where McKenzie got past the backs, but King threw himself at the ball, and picked it from the centre's feet, when the latter was in the act of shooting. Shortly afterwards king had to clear a stinger from McKenzie. Ritchie attacked, but his centre was sent wide by Hay. J. Clark returned for Buckie, but J. Reid sent wide when favourably placed. Wilson tried hard to get through for the homesters, but he was met by a dogged though not brilliant defence. The home right had some sparkling runs, and Hay's shots at goal were invariably on the mark. One time Paterson nearly fisted a shot of Hay's through his own goal, but the ball went over the bar. After persistent pressure by Aberdeen, J. Clark got away, and King saved marvellously on the post. The keeper also got rid of a good effort by Leslie. Near half-time Aberdeen got away, and G. Reid handled inside the penalty area, but Wilson landed the ball in the net, and the referee did not grant a penalty.

Shortly after the restart Thistle got down in a body, and J. Reid scored, but the whistle had previously blown for offside. After this the homesters took the game in hand, and Hay scored. Buckie retaliated, and King saved grandly after his backs were beaten. Shortly afterwards Reid had a shot which struck the post. Aberdeen thereafter had the major part of the play, and Wilson scored a third goal with a lightning shot. Steward had his leg twisted, and had to be carried off. With only 10 men fissile played up gamely, but with a finish Hay added a fourth point. Gate, £25.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 15th March 1909

The annual contest for possession of the Aberdeenshire Cup produced a great amount of excitement along the Moray Firth coast, where Buckie Thistle have earned a high reputation as players. The weather on Saturday was entirely against a large local crowd being present, but the visitors had plenty of backers from their own district, who assisted them in every way they could by lung power. Mr Bell had charge of the teams. Aberdeen "A" having one change in their team, Dalgarno being away, George Wilson took the centre position; while Buckie had also a new inside right. The visitors started with great dash, and had they scored in the first ten minutes it would only have been what they deserved in play. Twice they had only King to beat, but the custodian was daring enough to leave his charge and rob them of the ball single-handed. The speed of the visitors was great, and they had the home defence in difficulties for a time. Superior training told its tale, for the home team gradually and surely took the game in hand, and against the strong wind blowing they had a goal in befors half-time arrived - a very useful lead in the circumstances.
With the wind in their favour, Aberdeen had the pull in this half, and scored three times. Buckie making some valiant efforts to reduce this lead. In this they were unsuccessful, and Aberdeen won the cup by 4-0. This was Buckie's first experience in the final for the cup, and the experience gained may be of good use to them in future years, for they make no secret that it is their intention to win the cup soon. They have well set-up team, capable of doing better than they did on Saturday if properly trained. The best on the winners' side were Hay, Wilson, Ritchie, McConnachie, and King.

Source: Bon-Accord, 18th March 1909

Presentation of County Cup.

There was a large gathering for this ceremony in the Bon-Acord Hotel on Sat¬urday night, the chair being occupied by Mr William Jaffrey, president of the Association, who was accompanied by Baillie Milne, Mr D. B. Lothian, Mr T. Duncan. A.F.C.; Mr Henry Munro. Mr James Philip, manager, A.F.C.: and Mr G. S. Falconer, secretary.
A splendid musical programme was gone through, every item and artiste being heartily applauded for their turn. The following contributed:- Mesers Whitelaw, Chalmers, Gunn, McKechnie, Gordon, Sutherland, Bruce (cornet), Burnett (piccolo and flute), and Cormack (violin), who were heartily thanked for their efforts by Baillie Milne.
At a break in the programme the chairman introduced Mr Lothian who presented the badges to the winners and runners-up. In doing so Mr Lothian made a strong appeal to those who were not connected with outdoor sports to have an interest in something, and advised footballers to lead the way in becoming associated with the Territorial Force, and so be able to do some good outside their own sphere. In handing over the cup he congratulated Aberdeen on their success, and sympathised with Buckie Thistle, but hoped they would have better luck next time. Mr Duncan accepted the cup on behalf of the Aberdeen players, each of whom was presented with a gold badge. Mr Thomson accepted the badges on behalf of Buckie Thistle, and regretted they were unable to be present to accept them individually. At the conclusion hearty votes of thanks were accorded the chairman and officials for their arrangements.

Source: Bon-Accord, 22nd April 1909

Buckie Thistle Teamsheet
Paterson; G. Reid, Duncan; Thomson, G. Clark, Patterson; J. Clark, Leslie, McKenzie, J. Reid, Stewart
Attendance: 1,500
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr J. Bell, Dundee