Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 0 Inverness CT

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Inverness CT

Aberdeen scorers: Pawlett 75.

30/04/2011 | KO: 15:00

Dons Collect Points as Pawlett Grabs First Goal

Derek Young was handed the captaincy this afternoon and led his team to victory courtesy of a Peter Pawlett's first senior goal for the club. Aberdeen had missed chances in the first half when Diamond, Paton and Blackman should have finished. The deserved winner came in the 75th minute when Maguire collected after Esson had punched a corner clear. The ball was worked to Pawlett and he calmly fired under Esson to send the Aberdeen fans home happy.

Aberdeen kicked off and in the 3rd minute Maguire won a free kick 25 yards out, but the effort hit the wall. However Paton collected the loose ball and curled his effort inches wide of the far post. The Dons had dominated the opening stages, but Inverness were still a threat and Young conceded a free kick in a dangerous position with seven minutes on the clock. Aberdeen defended the free kick well and broke through Aluko. Unfortunately the final ball from Paton was cut out.

In the 10th minute Aluko went close as he cut inside from the left and forced a fine save from Esson. Three minutes later Inverness won a free kick wide right and when the ball was half cleared a decent effort was fired inches over. Duff collected the first caution of the game in the 17th minute for a crude challenge on Aluko. Aberdeen should have gone ahead in the 24th minute when Diamond managed to screw a Maguire corner wide of the target when it looked easier to score.

A minute later Blackman glanced a header inches over after meeting a Paton cross. At the other end Inverness forced three quick corners, but Aberdeen defended well and quickly broke from the third. Maguire released Paton and he went one-on-one with Esson, but could only slip the ball wide of the target. In the aftermath Gillet was cautioned for the late lunge at Maguire in the build up. With 36 minutes on the clock Maguire worked his way down the right and did well to smash an effort off the post. The ball came back to Blackman, but he couldn't find the target.

Crosses from Smith and Milsom were both dealt with by the Inverness defence before Maguire tried from distance in the 42nd minute. His effort went wide, but the Dons kept pressing as half time approached. A good move involving Maguire and Young produced a late corner and a second quickly followed. Maguire fired the ball deep, but Diamond was unable to connect as the referee brought proceedings to an end. Aberdeen should really be ahead at this stage, but it is everything to play for.

Inverness made a better start to the second half and Rooney was presented an early chance when Diamond slipped and the striker fired just wide of the far post. At the other end Paton went on a decent run, but couldn't deliver the final ball. Esson then fumbled a Maguire shot in the 49th minute before Aluko was flagged offside as he pounced on the loose ball. A minute later Jack forced a fine save from Esson and Tokely tidied up.

The game had opened up and chances were being created at both ends. This was highlighted in the 58th minute when a snapshot from Sutherland had Langfield at full stretch as he turned the ball round the post. Five minutes later Odhiambo came on for the visitor's and within sixty seconds Aluko was cautioned as he conceded a free kick on the edge of the Aberdeen box. Smith defended well to clear the danger then Magennis and Pawlett replaced Blackman and Paton.

Aberdeen had lost much of their earlier dominance and were now being forced to defend more. In the 75th minute Aluko won a free kick wide right and Esson punched clear. However Maguire collected and the ball was worked to Pawlett who netted his first senior goal for the club to hand Aberdeen a deserved lead. Inverness tried to hit back and Diamond made a great block to deny them in the 78th minute. Magennis should have doubled the advantage in the 83rd minute when Aluko went on a good run and cut the ball across the face of the goal.

Unfortunately it went behind Magennis and the chance was gone. Robertson replaced Aluko with a minute remaining. The fourth official indicated two minutes of injury time and in the first of those minutes Magennis did well and cut the ball back to Pawlett, but Esson was on hand to save. A minute later the keeper saved well from Smith just before the final whistle went and Derek Young led his men to a first victory in seven matches.

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Langfield, Young, Diamond, Vujadinovic, Smith, Paton (Pawlett 66), Jack, Milsom, Aluko (Robertson 88), Maguire, Blackman (Magennis 66).

Unused Subs: Howard, Anderson, Low, Brown.

Bookings:  Aluko (64).
Inverness CT Teamsheet
Ryan Esson, Stuart Duff, Ross Tokely, Grant Munro, Kenny Gillet, Aaron Doran, Lee Cox, Nick Ross, Shane Sutherland (Russell Duncan 76), Alex MacDonald (Eric Odhiambo 63), Adam Rooney. Unused Subs: Jonny Tuffey, Stuart Golabek, Gavin Morrison, Chris Innes.

Bookings:  Stuart Duff 16,   Kenny Gillet 28.
Attendance: 6,280
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: George Salmond
Next Match
23 Jul 2024 / 19:45 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen