Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 1 Alloa Athletic

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Alloa Athletic

Dewar Shield Final
Aberdeen scorers: Wilson, Simpson (Pen).
Alloa Athletic scorers: Lancaster

17/04/1909 | KO: 15:30

The final tie for possession of the Dewar Shield was played at Pittodrie, Aberdeen, on Saturday afternoon between Aberdeen A and Alloa Athletic. The weather was ideal, and when the teams lined up as follows that would have been about 3000 spectators present. Teams:-

Aberdeen A: King; Hannah, Hume; Davidson, JJ Simpson, Macfarlane; Hay, R. Simpson, Wilson, Ritchie, H. Murray.
Alloa Athletic: Robertson; Cummings, Brown; Fisher, Gardiner, Malcolm; Lancaster, Hannah, Snodden, Croall, W. Logan.
Referee - Mr. Adams, Grahamstown.

During the first 15 minutes of the game play was all in favour of Aberdeen, was forwards frequently allowed good openings to slip. The visiting defence had a hard time in keeping the Aberdonians out. There was a good understanding between the backs, however, and try as they could the Aberdeen forwards could not score. Brown, the Alloa left back, was the most prominent defender on the field. R. Simpson and Hay could make very little of him, and as a rule the back had the best of matters. Aberdeen's right wing men were in grand form, and the most of the danger to the Alloa goal came from this quarter. When the Alloa forwards did have an opportunity of attacking their efforts near goal were weak. He went in for the kick and rush style of play, but the local defence was quite equal to the attacks. Play gradually opened out. Aberdeen slackened their efforts somewhat, and on several occasions Alloa raided Aberdeen's territory without success. Hannah and Hume were equal to all demands made upon them. Played became very fast, and a capital centre by W Logan was cleared just in time by Hume. A minute later king held a swift shot from Logan. After a brief attack on the Aberdeen goal, the ground team forced Alloa to their own end. A stiff attack was kept up on the Alloa goal. The visitors, however, were determined to keep the A team out, and be packed their goal. For fully 10 minutes Aberdeen attacked, and their superiority was eventually rewarded. Capital individual work by R. Simpson allowed Wilson to get an opening, and the centre forward made no mistake. He scored a beautiful goal after 30 minutes' play. Aberdeen fully deserved their lead. Alloa, after this reverse, tried hard to secure the equaliser. The attacked vigorously, but without success. King held several fast shots, but the attack was not sustained. Aberdeen were all over the visitors in the closing stages of the period. The forced two corners in quick succession, but the advantages proved fruitless.

On resuming, Alloa went off with a rush, and had it not been for Hume it would undoubtedly have scored. The visitors were sent to their own half, and after five minutes' play Aberdeen were two up, R. Simpson scoring from a penalty for one of the backs fouling Wilson a yard from goal. For a time play was very uninteresting, and, taken all over, the game was disappointing. The spectators expected to see really good football, but it was not better than that seen at a Northern League match. Play was confined to midfield for about 20 minutes when Alloa secured a point. King saved cleverly, but the ball went out to Lancaster, who scored with a lovely shot, which completely beat King. Alloa continued to have more of the game, but towards the close Aberdeen made rings round their opponents, and downright hard luck prevented then from increasing their lead.

Gate £80.

At the close of the game, Baillie Taggart presented the shield and gold badges to the winners.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 19th April 1909

The Dewar Shield.

The game between Alice Athletic and Aberdeen A for possession of this beautiful shield brought out a good attendance at Pittodrie on Saturday. Alloa came north pretty much under the impression that they had nothing to do but to get on the field and win. They found their mistake in the first couple of minutes, when Hay as nearly scored as could he. The worrying tactics of the home halves kept the Clackmannan forwars from settling down, and their efforts at getting away were extremely feeble. On the other hand, from the very start, Aberdeen meant business and the Shield. Hay's opening movement was followed by many more of the same kind. Simpson got the ball tipped on by Davidson and, eluding the defence so far, passed on to Wilson, who had the goalkeeper beaten all the way. It was a fine goal, and deserved to count. King very nearly gave away his side immediately after, but Hume chipped in in time.
Wilson was all but through, when badly tripped just after the second half had begun. Simpson scored from the penalty. Alloa were seen a little more in the picture after this, due to a slackness on the part of Aberdeen, who took an easier view of the play. On Lancaster scoring for Alloa, another change took place, Aberdeen being top dog till the finish, and but for some good saves by Robertson would have won easily. As it was, Aberdeen won the shield for the second time by 2 goals to 1.

Play and Players.

Alloa's defence were the best part of their team. Robertson in goal, and the two backs playing finely together. The halves were fair, and the forwards poor in combination, though the extreme wings put in a few good runs. King was very shaky in goal. Hannah was the best back on the field with Hume a good second. The halves were all good, and played splendidly. Hay was most prominent in the first half, and Murray in the second. The line, however, worked very smoothly together, and would have given points to the first team on the day's play.

Source: Bon-Accord, 22nd April 1909

Alloa Athletic Teamsheet
Robertson; Cummings, Brown; Fisher, Gardiner, Malcolm; Lancaster, Hannah, Snodden, Croall, W. Logan

Bookings:  Penn
Attendance: 3,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr Adams, Grahamstoun