Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 1 Clyde

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 1 Clyde

Scottish Reserve League
Aberdeen scorers: Scott, McKenzie 20, MacEchern 45.
Clyde scorers: McGeachan

16/10/1909 | KO:


The Aberdeen reserve eleven played their first home Scottish Reserve League fixture at Pittodrie Park, when they were opposed by Clyde A on Saturday afternoon. There was an attendance of over 2000 spectators. Teams:-

Aberdeen A: King; Hannah, Harper; Davidson, Macfarlane, Robertson; C. V. A. McEchern, J. Scott, McKenzie, Murray, Jaffrey.
Clyde A: Hadden; Fraser, Blair; McLeod, Wyllie, Stewart; Russell, McArtney, Sheridan, McGeachan, Grier.
Referee - Mr. Arthur Watt, Aberdeen.

Clyde opened two wards the west, and in the first minute McGeachen netted, but the goal was given offside. Desultory play and a period of free kicking by the backs ensued, but Sheridan raised enthusiasm with a spirited effort, which Harper was cheered for checking. The Aberdeen left forced matters, and after a corner, forced by Murray, Clyde's goal for a time was in jeopardy, until ultimately Scott headed over. Sheridan got off on his own, and after being beaten, Hannah fouled centre close in, and following upon the free kick King's charge had a narrow escape from Wyllie. McEchern had a promising run on the home right, and his partner tested Hadden with a bouncing ball, a piece of work which Macfarlane repeated a minute later. After 20 minutes the home centre got possession from Scott, outwitted Fraser, and scored. Play brightened up for a time, but the defence on each side out shown the attack. The equalising goal came as a surprise. Sheridan, who played a forceful game, got well down, and gave to McGeachan. The home backs muddled, and King was beaten with a rather easy shot. End-to-end play ensued, one Scott being prominent on the Aberdeen side, and Sheridan for the visitors. In the last minute of the half McEachern put his side on the lead from long range from a fine pass by Murray.

Clyde monopolised play in the opening 5 minutes, and slackness in front of goal lost several favourable opportunities. Mackenzie raised the siege for Aberdeen, and Hadden had to rush out and clear. Next minute the key from had a shot which sailed an inch over the bar. Aberdeen again attacked, and Hadden had an anxious time, having to deal with shots from Murray and McKenzie. Jaffrey sent the ball high and wide when admirably placed, and Scott later struck the outside of the net. Scott was always prominent, and his dribbling was excellent, his pass to McEachern making Hadden give away a corner, which the keeper cleared smartly. Robertson worked up on the left, and his cross was returned by McEachern, and Scott getting possession, drove hard and true, Hadden having no chance. Clyde's forwards were little seen in this half, but the defence stood up pluckily to the determined onslaughts of the homesters.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 18th October 1909

Aberdeen A have been compelled to travel a lot of late, and their play has been very highly commented on wherever they have played. This was fully demonstrated on Saturday, when they took the field against a reputably strong side of the Clyde Reserves at Pittodrie and beat them by 3-1.

There was a good attendance when the teams took the field, play starting punctual to time. Play was equally divided, for some time, nothing of any particular note occurring. The home forwards found their bearings first, and the left wing caused some trouble; the outside sending across a shot which Scott banged straight and true. After 30 mitutes' play, Mackenzie broke through on his own, and scored the best goal of the gamer The referee made a miscalculation of the time, and was whistling the men off, when the crowd reminded him they could keep time also. Had this not been, Aberdeen were robbed of a goal, for, just on half-time proper,MacEchern scored a splendid goal. Prior to this, however, Hannah made a mess of a return, with the result that Clyde scored easily. Everyone thought the sides were to cross level, till the episode already mentioned happened. Aberdeen were almost incessantly on the hunt for goals, but were meeting a rather robust defence, and Scott was the only player able to get through, his goal being smartly taken from a pass from Tom Murray. Aberdeen ran out deservedly winners by 3-1.


The Clyde never got settled into a methodical style of play, their forwards especially showing weakness in combination and shooting. At half and in the last line of defence they had a set of real hard workers, capable of doing a power of work in tackling or bustling an opponent.
On the home side, the defence was very sound, and only made one serious slip, and that led to a goal, for which Hannah was alone to blame. The halves were good, but if a preference had to be bestowed for good work, Davidson undoubtedly merited it. In the front line, Tom Murray not only was the prime mover in most that was done, but his presence seemed tc act as balm to the others. The left wing was best in the first half. While in the second the right got more of the ball, and put in some good shots. If Mackenzie had had a less resolute centre-half against him, he would have got goals, but he was badly held on several occasions.

Source: Bon-Accord, 21st October 1909

Clyde Teamsheet
Hadden; Fraser, Blair; McLeod, Wyllie, Stewart; Russell, McArtney, Sheridan, McGeachan, Grier
Attendance: 2,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr Arthur Watt, Aberdeen