Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 3 Falkirk

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 3 Falkirk

Scottish Reserve League
Aberdeen scorers: Low, Scott.
Falkirk scorers: Morrison 5 (pen), Morrison, Main

30/10/1909 | KO: 15:15

While the First League teams of Aberdeen and Falkirk were fighting for points at Brockville Park on Saturday afternoon the reserve elevens met in a Reserve League fixture at Pittodrie. Good weather prevailed, and the pitch was in first rate order. Teams:-

Aberdeen A: King; Hannah, harper; Davidson, Macfarlane, Henderson; Hay, Scott, Mckenzie, Low, Neilson.
Falkirk A: Hunter; Reid, Miller; Orrock, Morrison, Collins; Tidesley, Kemp, Main, Devine, Taylor.

The Falkirk defence had to look lively in the first minute. Aberdeen broke away on the right, but the attack was not sustained. Falkirk retaliated in spirited fashion, and within 5 minutes of the kick-off they were a goal up. The Falkirk forwards crowded round King, and one of the Aberdeen men, in his anxiety to keep the visitors from scoring, handled a hard shot within the penalty area. Morrison scored from the advantage. Falkirk from this stage on wards held the upper hand nearly all the time. The attacked strongly, but the Aberdeen defence gave nothing away. Davidson was prominent in the middle line, but the other half-backs were not seen too much advantage. Their placing was deficient, and Falkirk benefited accordingly. The visitors pressed for about 15 minutes, and during that time King saved numerous hard shots. Low and Hay were prominent for Aberdeen. The former broke away, and crossed to Hay, who made ground quickly. Nielsen eventually got the ball, and, after getting round the back, crossed to Low, who scored. The keeper handled the ball, but so great was the force behind it that he failed to clear, and the leather went afoot over the goal line. This did not please the visitors, who within 3 minutes from the kick-off had scored twice. The ball was not out of the circle in the centre of the field after the kick-off when Morrison let drive. The ball travelled quick and sure for the goal, and King, who was on prepared, was beaten. Falkirk attacked again from the kick-off, and Main scored a good goal. Falkirk were much superior to Aberdeen in shooting, and at half-time they were full value for their lead of two goals.

If Falkirk were superior in the first half, the same could not be said of them on the run of play in the second period. Aberdeen attacked vigorously. The visiting defence was sound, but the persistent endeavours of the locals were bound to have effect. After 15 minutes' play Scott found the net with a soft shot, the keeper being completely taken by surprise. Aberdeen made great efforts to get the equaliser. The halves had tries, but Hunter gave nothing away, while the full backs were also safe. Falkirk attacked now and again, but the local defence was sure and reliable. Subsequent play brought out the capabilities of the defence of both teams. The forwards could not break down the defences. On play Falkirk were worthy of their win by the odd goal.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 1st November 1909


That Falkirk Reserves are a specially strong team no one can deny, but they were lucky to go away with two points on Saturday. In the first instance, Aberdeen started with ten men and against a strong sun, which handicapped them severely. A penalty inside a few minutes did not tend to let them settle down. Nothing daunted, they pegged away, and Low got in a good one. While Scott arrived, Mackenzie went lame, so that when the Bairns rattled on other two goals Aberdeen were looking a hopelessly beaten team. The home side came again after being kept on the defensive, and a penalty was missed by Davidson, the teams turning on the field at half-time with Falkirk leading 3-1. Even with their centre a passenger, the home side played well, but lost many opportunities at goalmouth. Scott scored a good goal from a pass which he hooked in from Hay. It is safe to say Aberdeen would have equalised with all their men fit, as many goad chances were lost by the centre's inability to get there. Try as they would, another goal would not accrue, and the visitors won by 3-2, though a draw would have been a fairer reflex of the play.

Source: Bon-Accord, 4th November 1909

Falkirk Teamsheet
Hunter; Reid, Miller; Orrock, Morrison, Collins; Tidesley, Kemp, Main, Devine, Taylor
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen