Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 1 Peterhead

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Peterhead

Aberdeenshire Cup Final Replay
Aberdeen scorers: MacFarlane, Nichol.
Peterhead scorers: Webster

16/04/1910 | KO: 15:30

Aberdeen's Reserves defeated Peterhead in the final tie for the Aberdeenshire Cup by 2-1, the previous game having been a draw of one goal each. The weather was dead against good football, but there was plenty of sporting work going on. At first glance, the score would suggest a close game, but it was not so, the Reserves doing most of the pressing, and were very unfortunate in not having more goals. Macfarlane opened the scoring with a high shot in the first half, and crossing with this lead, W. D. Nichol scored a second goal with a lovely effort. A great rally by Peterhead and a failure by Harper to clear let the Buchan lads in, and the inside left made sure. This ended the scoring, and a robust and at times very interesting game ended 2-1 in favour of Aberdeen, though they ought to have had more goals. At the conclusion of the game, Mr J. Clark, president of the A.F.A., presented the cup to Mr T. Duncan, who accepted it on behalf of Aberdeen F.C., Macfarlane taking charge of the badges for the players. Peterhead players, as they came forward for their badges, received a most cordial welcome from those present, and the secretary responded on behalf of the club.

Chatty Bits

Aberdeen's game with Bathgate last Friday ended in a draw of 3 goals each.
We had expected Aberdeen to top their last season's record in the League table ere this time, but on Monday they were still a point behind, with three games yet to go.
As W.D. Nichol could not travel for the whole of the south games, he was kept at home to assist the Reserves to win the cup.
Aberdeen "A" have to play Dunfermline this week in the first round of the Dewar Shield. The winners will meet Falkirk in the final. The Dewar Shield is at present in Aberdeen, and the "A" team will make a bold effort to retain it.
Signing on is still very backward at Pittodrie. At the beginning of the week only Hume had put his name down on paper. We heard it remarked that if the management got this year's defenders booked up, they intend introducing new blood into the team. There is a general slackness in the players signing this season, but we expect business to be brisk in this line next week.
Tonight Aberdeen send a team to Central Park to play a team from the Junior Association in aid of the latter's funds. It is to be hope that they will get a good gate.
Last Saturday evening there was a great array of ladies at Pittodrie watching the annual contest between Esslemont and Macintosh's and Sangster and Henderson's employees, which resulted in a draw of 2 goals each. Each goal was acclaimed by the ladies, who evinced keen enthusiasm, and were quite partisan for their own side.

Source: Bon-Accord, 21st April 1910

These teams met at Pittodrie Park on Saturday in dismal weather in the replay of their previously drawn tie in the final of the Aberdeenshire Cup. There was a poor attendance of spectators. Teams:-

Aberdeen A: King; Hannah, Harper; Low, Macfarlane, Henderson; C. V. A. McEchern, Hay, W. D. Nichol, J. Edgar, Jaffrey.
Peterhead: Lamb; Stevens, Philip; McIntosh, Davidson, Bruce; Imlach, Scott, Webster, Thomson, W.Cadger.
Referee - Mister J. McHardy, Dundee.

The homesters played citywards, and immediately took the upper hand, smart work by Hay and McEchern taking danger to the vicinity of Lamb, but Philip cleared. Edgar and Nicol returned, however, and the Buchan keeper effected a risky clearance. Imlah made ground on the visitors right, and Webster shot weakly past when admirably placed. After this Peterhead were seldom dangerous, and their defence had ever to be on the alert. Nichol, Edgar, Hannah and Hay all had creditable attempts at scoring, but Stevens and Philip put up a strong resistance. For a period there was really no comparison between the sides, and it was only a question of time till the science of the home team would overcome the more crude but none the less earnest play of Peterhead. Several corners fell to the lot of Aberdeen, and following upon one of these Macfarlane beat Lamb with a drooping shot, which he might have saved but for the attentions of Hay, who later failed at a penalty kick. Aberdeen were without Hannah after this, but still kept the upper hand, and although the visitors made a burst near half time the score then was - Aberdeen A, 1; Peterhead, 0.

Hannan reappeared on the resumption, and Imlah tested King with a good effort from the touchline. For the next half-hour play was entirely in favour of the home team. Peterhead at times looked like getting agoing, but the forward line was always mastered by the home defence. Play was never other really high standard, and interest centred chiefly on the play of Nichol. His adroit passing to the wings was all it could be desired, and when he got the ball within shooting range he never hesitated. His characteristic rushes at times seemed to unnerve the visiting defence, and the result was that many corners fell to the lot of his side. Fully 20 minutes had gone, when the centre, receiving a pass from Macfarlane, dribbled round Davidson and Philip, and shot with terrific force from the penalty line. Lamb's hand got in the way of the ball, but made no impression on its progress. Jaffrey, Nicol, and Hay all had tries after this, but play was over rather uninteresting nature. Then came a Peterhead rally. Imlah and Scott worked well down on the right, and King had to concede a corner. The kick was nicely placed, and Webster scored. Cadger next made ground on the left, and in a scrimmage Peterhead all but equalised, several shots being blocked amongst a crowd of players. The last 10 minutes' play was about the most interesting of the whole game, which, taken all over, Aberdeen deserved to win.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 18th April 1910

Peterhead Teamsheet
Lamb; Stevens, Philip; McIntosh, Davidson, Bruce; Imlach, Scott, Webster, Thomson, W.Cadger
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr John McHardy, Dundee