Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Dundee 2 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Dundee 1 - 0 Aberdeen

Scottish Reserve League
Dundee scorers: Duncan, Martin

24/02/1912 | KO:

Check For Reserves Well Beaten At Dundee

Under reserve league auspices, Aberdeen A Reserves were beaten by Dundee Reserves at Dens Park by 2 goals to 0.

Losing the toss, Dundee faced the sun, and in the first minute Aberdeen were dangerous, Peters miskicking and a loving Brown to test Balfour with a hot shot. Retaliating with vigour Dundee got westward, but a fine cross by Duncan was permitted to pass on excepted, and immediately afterwards Campbell was within inches of the Dundee goal with a quick turning shot. Duncan distinguished himself with some fine trickery, and finished up by dropping the ball in the goalmouth, but McKnight headed over. After a spell of equal play, Dundee were getting dangerous, and an Aberdeen infringement pulled them up, and nothing accrued from the free-kick.
A ground shot by Duncan followed a pond some spirited work by the Dundee attack. At the other end Neilson's swung in a fine ball from the line, but Dundee were soon back, and Millar again found Duncan too much for him. Martin, however, shot past with a hard drive. Dundee were now the more aggressive, and a length Duncan, who was a constant source of anxiety to the Aberdeen defence, worked his way goalwards and scored with a shot which King could not possibly have saved. Aberdeen applied the pressure thereafter, and Neilson, from a judicious pass by Douglas sent over a fine cross, which Campbell almost diverted passed Balfour. The attack ultimately finished with Dickson driving past. The Dundee forwards again took up the running, and made things hum in Aberdeen territory, Greig: out King's Resources with a hard grounder. The custodian was ready, however, and Douglas lead off his men on another sortie. Dixon found himself in a tight corner from which he was unable to extricate himself with success, and half-time arrived with Dundee leading by 1 goal to 0.

In the first minute after resuming the Dundee centre was favourably placed, but his parting shot rows harmlessly over the bar. McKnight was near the mark with a drive, which had King beaten, but which hit the cross bar. Dundee were doing all the pressing, and Hannah had to concede two corners to get relief. Douglas got away on a scamper, but was run into a corner. Their next effort was more promising, and, following upon a nice centre from the right, Neilson had a drive for goal, which just missed. Low sustained an injury during Dundee's pressure, but soon came round. Aberdeen made progress on the right, but Dickson shot poorly. A corner to Dundee led to an exciting passage in Aberdeen's goal, and Strachan was within inches with a shot at close range. At the other end Dickson gave Balfour something to do with a hard ground drive, but Dundee soon returned, and the Aberdeen defence were all out for work. Hannah distinguished himself by some fine tackling, and was the best man on the Aberdeen side. Strachan tried a shot at long range with poor results, and Gallacher was no more successful with an essay from the line. Near the close Martin put Dundee two up.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 26th February 1912

Dundee Teamsheet
Balfour; Walker, Peters; Philip, Strachan, Gowans; Duncan, Greig, Martin, McKnight, Gallacher
Venue: Dens Park, Dundee
Referee: Mr James Prophet, Forfar