Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 5 - 0 Aberdeen Harp

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 0 Aberdeen Harp

Aberdeenshire Cup Semi Final
Aberdeen scorers: McKenzie, Moffat, McKenzie, Hannah (Pen), McKenzie.

19/02/1910 | KO:

There was a small attendance at Pittodrie on Saturday when the Aberdeen reserves engaged Aberdeen Harp in the semi-final for the County Cup. The heavy rain that fell in early in the day rendered the pitch very soft. Teams:-

Aberdeen A: King; Hannah, Low; Moffat, Harper, Henderson; McEchern, Hay, McKenzie, Murray, Jaffrey.
Aberdeen Harp: Hamilton; Bell, Murphy; Robertson, Henderson, Davidson; Macaulay, Anderson, Ferries, Sim, Vass.
Referee - Mr. J. H. Russell, Aberdeen.

Little of uninteresting nature of curved in the early stages of the game except that the Harp showed some nippy play, which came as a surprise to the opposition. McKenzie dashed in a good ball, which Hamilton had to place behind, and then Hannah at back took up the attack, and a strong pressure was only the leaved by a foul. After good work by the local left wing, Murray had a difficult try. Then Harp broke away through Vass, and Hannah found the fleet winger more than he could manage. The back brought his man down, the resultant foul gave Henderson, Harp's centre half, an opening, and he made the most of it with a stinging shot. King, however, was on the alert, and got rid of it. Aberdeen were not having always say. Harp gave about as good as they got, and had some good runs in combination, but they were weak at the finish, and seldom circumvented the backs. Murphy was a sound back, but he was no match for the wiles and speed of McEchern and Hay, the latter especially having some rare tries at goal. The superior training of the professionals asserted itself, but half an hour had gone before the opening point was registered against the plucky Harp. It was a clever goal, but not without a degree of luck. Hannah worked up the margin of the field, and drove to the centre, where McKenzie got that the sphere with his head, and directed its flight into the net. Harp responded valiantly, and Sim initiated a hot pressure on King's charge. Again Aberdeen became aggressive, and after Hamilton had returned a shot from Hay, Moffat dashed in and forced the ball into the net at close range.

In the second period Harp were not so good, and a few minutes from the resumption they were another goal down. The Aberdeen right wing were ever in the picture, and they gave McKenzie a nice centre. The pivot work round Bell, and gently lifted the ball over the custodians head, Hamilton evidently misjudging the height. There were occasional smart exhibitions by the Harp, but the sting was out of their attack, and it was only a question of the number of goals by which Aberdeen would win. Jaffrey, who was most unfairly barracked by the crowd, showed that he was a player of some ability, and had some pretty runs, which he finished with perfect crosses to the centre. This exhibition, fortunately, had the effect of silencing the crowd. The fourth point came through the left winger. He drove hard and straight for goal, and Hamilton engaged in a tussle with McKenzie on the goal line. The keeper fouled, and from the penalty kick Hannah scored. Before the finish Mackenzie headed in another goal. The Harp were unfortunate, and deserved a better reward for their plucky and at times clever display in all departments. They lost to superior skill and better training.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 21st February 1910

Aberdeen Harp Teamsheet
Hamilton; Bell, Murphy; Robertson, Henderson, Davidson; Macaulay, Anderson, Ferries, Sim, Vass
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr J. H. Russell, Aberdeen