Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Queen of the South 1 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Queen of the South 0 - 1 Aberdeen

Scottish Cup Fifth Round Replay
Queen of the South scorers: McGuffie 58.
Aberdeen scorers: Fyvie 20, Considine 90.

14/02/2012 | KO: 19:45

Cup-Tie Considine Conquers Queens

The Dons lined up with McArdle at right back, Mawene and Reynolds at centre half and Considine at left back. In midfield Fyvie was wide right with Hughes and Arnason in the centre and Mitch Megginson deservedly kept his place on the left after impressing at Easter Road. Up front Craig went with the two big strikers, Fallon coming back in to partner Vernon.

There was a real cup tie atmosphere and in the main stand you even heard one or two old football rattles. Straight from the off Aberdeen started strongly. Fraser Fyvie in the third minute took a free kick and he tried to catch out the goalkeeper by lobbing him. In the end it was an excellent save from Lee Robinson who just managed to get his feet moving and get back to tip the ball over the bar. Mitch Megginson was looking lively early on. He put a cross in which almost landed up in the back of the net. Vernon realised it was not going in and threw himself at it but was inches away. Very similar to the chance the Dons top scorer missed on Saturday. The keeper was completely beat by the cross. Despite playing on the left, his weaker side, Megginson is a very good crosser of the ball from that side.

Then Stephen Hughes put in a cross from the other side. It caused problems as Vernon and Fallon tried to get on the end of it. The two big strikers certainly are a threat when the Dons are able to get crosses into the box.

It was a good early start from the Dons as they had as expected taken the game to Queens.

On 15 minutes Arnason then tried his lucky from distance after playing a one two with Vernon. He pulled his shot just wide but the keeper would not have been beaten. Vernon then had a chance after Fallon laid the ball off to him but he was unable to get his shot away. Mitch Megginson was then involved again and he set up Stephen Hughes. The midfielder shot from a central position about 25 yards out. His shot just went wide. He really did strike it well.

Then on 20 minutes the Dons took a deserved lead. A deep cross by McArdle from the right was headed back across the goal by Fallon. Vernon held it up. He tried to get a shot away but was crowded out so the striker laid it back into the path of Fraser Fyvie who from about 5 yards slotted the ball home for his second goal of the season.

The home side were offering nothing at this stage. Aberdeen knew they would have to battle and they certainly were matching any physical treatment that was being handed out.

Then after about 25 minutes Queens won their first corner. They were able to follow that up with some pressure. A deep cross from the right and Clark was not far away from getting on the end of it. He was unmarked at the back post but thankfully the cross was just over hit. Back came the Dons. Mitch made a strong run down the left and put in another good ball. Vernon stuck a leg out and Robinson was forced into a smart save.

Midway through the half and Hughes was pulling the strings in the middle of the park. But then Mawene and Hughes almost got in a mess when they went for the same ball in the box. Thankfully Reynolds was there to get a vital tackle in. Reid then crossed for Parkin who had time and space to turn but his shot went weakly past the post.

On 34 minutes more injury problems for the Dons when Mitch Megginson limped off. A real shame as he was having another fine game. Daniel Uchechi came on to make his debut. A minute later Queen's won another corner which was well met by Mawene. Uchechi's then got his first touch, and was brought down. Fraser Fyvie took the free kick wide on the left but the ball hit Nicky Clark in the wall. A waste. Uchechi's second touch brought another foul on him. He was getting a warm welcome to Scottish Football.

As the half time whistle went the Dons would have been happy they got the vital first goal but to honest the game should have been over, considering how much possession they had. The home side started the second half strongly and had a couple of half chances. Allan Johnson picked the ball up about thirty yards out but he was unable to get clean contact on his shot.

Then Uchechi showed great skill in front of the Aberdeen fans as he left a couple of Queens players for dead. He played in Vernon who turned well but his shot was weak and straight at the keeper. The fans though loved the skill from the Dons debutant. But at this, 10 minute or so into the half, the home side were coming more into it. They had a free kick which Parkin comfortably won at the back post. He headed the ball back across goal. Thankfully Mawene made a good block as McLaughlin was about to pull the trigger. Queens were trying to get the pacy right winger Carmichael more involved. Considine was dealing with him but he was always a constant threat. He caused Reynolds to get booked on 56 minutes when he beat him to a ball. And Reynolds is very quick.

Aberdeen had a half chance when a simple long kick out by Brown found Fyvie and he was through on goal, just to the right of the penalty area. He had time to cut in but his shot was well held by the keeper.

Then out of nothing an equaliser for the home side. E x Don Nicky Clark got the break of the ball down the right. His cross was met by Mawene but with the home fans screaming for hand ball the referee looked at his linesman who, after some thought, gave the decision. It seemed very harsh. The ball was blasted off the Dons defender. McGuffie took it and struck it straight down the middle and with Brown diving to his right he was unable to keep it out although he was not a million miles away from it. The home side had not really been in it but one slip and it was game on.

The Dons had lost all the momentum and for a few minutes after the goal they were put under real pressure. The Dons midfield were losing their control of the game and it had turned into a real old fashioned cup tie. Something the Dons really wanted to avoid. Then shortly after the hour mark there was a major let off when Nicky Clark hit the bar. His dipping shot from the edge of the box completely beat Brown.

There was only one team in it at the moment. Carmichael broke and with the Aberdeen defence out of position there was danger as Mawene could not deal with him. He played it wide to Parkin who was unmarked and although he had time to pick his spot his curling effort clipped the bar. Twice is a short space of time the woodwork had saved the Dons.

Craig and Archie finally decided it was time to change things. Darren Mackie came on to replace Rory Fallon. But within seconds of the Dons making a chance Clark went down the right again and manage to cut inside and get to the by-line. His cross was touched by Mawene which was absolutely vital as Parkin was standing just waiting to fire home. Once the Dons had time to sort themselves out Mackie went to wide left and Daniel Uchechi went up front with Vernon.

With four minutes to go the Dons had a strong penalty claim. A deep free kick was played in and McArdle was impeded as he tried to get on the end of it. McArdle went down. It looked a strong shout. Rory was certain it was a penalty. Then with extra time looking inevitable a late winner for the Dons. The home side seemed to sit back for a few minutes which allowed the Dons to enjoy some possession, the first time in a long time. Eventually the ball fell to Arnason. Although there appeared nothing on he had time to look up and with the quality he has he played a fantastic deep cross behind the defenders and Andrew Considine came in at the back post to head home. The Dons players and fans went mental. The relief was there for all to see.

Queen of the South Teamsheet
Lee Robinson, Craig Reid, Ryan McGuffie, Chris Higgins (Kevin Holt 52), Alan Reid , Nicky Clark, Stephen McKenna, Scott McLaughlin, Daniel Carmichael, Allan Johnston (Stephen Simmons 79), Sam Parkin. Unused Subs: Jim Atkinson, Tom Brighton, Gavin Reilly.

Bookings:  Sam Parkin (73)
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Brown, McArdle, Mawéné, Reynolds, Considine, Fyvie, Arnason, Hughes, Megginson, Fallon, Vernon.

Unused Subs: Langfield, Chalali, Magennis.

Bookings:  Reynolds (55),  Mawéné (57),  Considine (90).
Attendance: 3,102
Venue: Palmerston Park, Dumfries
Referee: Allan Muir
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead