Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Morton 2 - 3 Aberdeen

HT Score: Morton 1 - 3 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Morton scorers: Hamilton (pen), Hamilton
Aberdeen scorers: Low, Lennie, O'Hagan.

20/02/1909 | KO:

Some 5000 spectators were present at Cappielow, Greenock. The home side suffered downfall in the first few minutes of the game, Low easily eluding Robertson with a swift drive from close quarters. Combined runs by the Aberdeen forwards scattered the home defence, and Lennie and O'Hagan each scored a point. Morton were awarded a penalty and Mutch had no chance to save from McIntosh's drive. Morton resumed in purposeful fashion, and after five minutes' play Hamilton walked the ball past Mutch. The home side maintained their improved form, raid after raid being made on the Aberdeen goal. At the close Morton were pressing. Result :- Aberdeen, three goals; Morton, two goals.

Source: The Scotsman, 22nd February 1909

The Aberdeen team traveled to Greenock on Saturday to meet Morton in a league fixture. There was an attendance of about 3000, and the drawings amounted to £64. The teams were:-

Morton: Robertson; Stewart, Nugent; Glover, McIntosh, Hendry; Anderson, Young, Hamilton, Speirs, Lindsay.
Aberdeen: Mutch; Colman, Hume; Davidson, McIntosh, Low; Blackburn, Niblo, Wilson, O'Hagan, Lennie.
Referee - Mr. J. S. Muir, Glasgow.

Morton kicked off, and were first to become dangerous, Hamilton testing Mutch with a stinging shot within a minute from the start. Play was immediately transferred, and following a foul kick near the penalty line Low sent in a fast, straight drive, which easily beat Robertson. After this success Aberdeen continued to press, but were kept well in hand by the Greenock the fence, which cleared without difficulty. The visitors soon returned to the attack. Lennie getting possession of the ball, carried it well up the field, and passed it to Niblo, who, however, shot over. Mutch about this stage brought off a nice save from a tricky shot by Speirs. Another spirited dash by the visitors resulted in further scoring, the second goal, which was obtained 20 minutes from the start, coming from Lennie. Try as they would the Morton forwards were unable to make much headway, the Aberdeen backs playing a steady game, and showing facility in breaking up their opponents' attack. The most striking feature of the contest to delete word up so far was a penalty kick awarded to Morton, on account of Davidson bringing down Lindsay. The shot was taken by Hamilton, who neatly netted the ball. The home lot now a appeared to better advantage, and once up twice had hard lines in not scoring. Shortly before the close of this half O'Hagan scored another goal for Aberdeen.

On the restart Morton came away strongly, and after some further nice forward play Mutch had to save from Anderson. The Aberdeen boys then rushed the ball. Niblo missed badly what was really a good chance. Davidson again earned the displeasure of the crowd, and got the word from the referee for interfering with Lindsay. From the resultant fouled the Morton attacked strongly. Mutch came out to save, but did not clear his lines effectively, and Hamilton, getting behind, scored number two for the Morton rather easily. Some feeling was now shown among certain of the forwards, and the referee had to extend advice. The northern centre came in for bad treatment from the home defenders, and looked as if he meant to take the law into his own hands. He was very lame. There was a good deal of shooting going on between the Morton players, the specially in the second half. Stewart was the next player observed to be in difficulties, and the game was stopped for a moment until he regained the perpendicular. The next moment it was Colman, and again the referee had to bounce the ball. There was no further scoring, but some what work was witnessed, and there was great excitement among the spectators.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 22nd February 1909

Morton Teamsheet
Robertson; Stewart, Nugent; Glover, McIntosh, Hendry; Anderson, Young, Hamilton, Speirs, Lindsay
Attendance: 3,500
Venue: Cappielow Park, Greenock
Referee: Mr. J. S. Muir, Glasgow
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride