Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 4 - 0 Hibernian

HT Score: Aberdeen 3 - 0 Hibernian

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Simpson, Simpson, Simpson, Niblo.

03/04/1909 | KO:

A Splendid Finish..

Six thousand spectators witnessed this fixture at Aberdeen. The wind was strong and bitterly cold, and spoiled the game in large part. With the advantage of it in the finishing half Aberdeen were seldom far from the Hibernian goal, and before the cross over they had scored three goals, all by Simpson. The first two came before the game was four minutes old, and the third fourteen minutes later. With the wind behind them the Hibernians did better in the second half, but they failed to keep command of the ball close in, and indulged the defence with too much free kicking. Peggie, Roughead, Callaghan and Harker all had good tries without getting the better of Mutch, the goalkeeper also saving a penalty taken by Harker. Near the end Niblo broke away and scored a smart goal. Result :- Aberdeen, four goals; Hibernians, nothing.

Source: The Scotsman, 5th April 1909

The Aberdeen team played their 34th Scottish League match - their last league fixture for the season - on Saturday, the opposition being the Hibernian team from Edinburgh. The weather was dry, but there wasn't disagreeable, gusty wind, which at times blew half a gale, and this probably partly accounted for the rather small attendance of spectators, there being not more than 4000. Another factor in the gate was the falling-off in enthusiasm among the local supporters of the game, due to the Aberdeen teams uninterrupted run of defeats in their long succession of matches away from home. Neither team was at full strength. Aberdeen played their recently-signed amateur, Lyon, at left back, and the fair-haired lad got a hearty welcome from the crowd. The teams were:-

Aberdeen: Mutch; Colman, J. F. Lyon; Macfarlane, McIntosh, Low; McEchern, Simpson, Niblo, O'Hagan, Lennie.
Hibernian: W. Allan; Birrell, S. Allen; Callaghan, Paterson, Grieve; O'Hara, Harker, Peggie, Roughead, Smith.
Referee - Mr. Murray, Stenhousemuir.

The Aberdeen captain was lucky in winning the toss, as the advantage of playing with the wind looked like proving a big one, and the game was not long in progress when the benefit of having the breeze behind was seen. Progress was made by Lennie and O'Hagan on the Aberdeen left, and the wind, which was difficult to gauge, carried the outside left's cross over the line. Aberdeen pressed, and in two and a half minutes from the start had the ball in the net. The goal was got directly as the result of a characteristic tipped of close manoeuvring by Niblo almost on the line, the centre forward getting the ball and cleverly dropping it into the goalmouth. Simpson headed in, and W. Allan managed to fist weakly from under the bar. The ball went again to Simpson, who kicked it past the goalkeeper into the net. A minute or so later, as the result of a brisk attack, Aberdeen scored their second goal, Simpson again finding the net. Clever play on the Aberdeen left lead up to this success, but Niblo was again the medium through whom the goal came, Simpson getting the centre's pass, and beating the goalkeeper with a hard drive. Notwithstanding the rapid scoring against them, Hibs did not lose heart, and the baffled nobly against the wind and a strong, bustling defence. Lyon was prominent in repelling the eager rushes of the Hibs' forwards, his daring tackling arousing enthusiasm. The occasional breaks-away of the Hibs were not successful, and the Edinburgh defenders were kept in constant anxiety by the activity of the Aberdeen forwards and the quick travelling of the ball before the wind. One the goalkeeper, despite the steps tackling and kicking of the backs, had plenty to do, Niblo and then Lennie giving him shots to hold. After a determined effort to raise the siege by Hibs', the Aberdeen forwards again came racing in on the hard-pressed Edinburgh backs, Lennie and O'Hagan cleverly leading the raid. O'Hagan past neatly two Niblo, who, with a clear range two wall, lifted the ball over the bar, and lost a good chance. Aberdeen's third goal soon came, however, for there was one forward on the home side who could shoot when he got the chance. Lennie was brought down unfairly in a promising run. Lowe took the kick, and sent well into goal. Niblo, with his head, diverted the flight of the ball in the direction of Simpson, with a fast drive completely beat W. Allan, I and, scoring his third goal, performed the "hat trick," the feet which was rewarded by the hearty cheers of the crowd. Three goals in 18 minutes left the Hibs' with a big leeway to make up, and they worked manfully, but with little effect. Once a weak kick by Lyon gave O'Hara as chance. Low was at the Hib's heels, and with a desperate charge the big Aberdeen half-back got the ball over the line, giving away a corner, and finishing on his back after turning a somersault with the help of O'Hara. Hibs bothered the Aberdeen backs for a time, until a long return by Colman like O'Hagan and Lennie away. The outside left rounded Birrell, against whom he was not getting all his own way, and shot hard for goal. W. Allan cleared with little to spare, on the line, as he was all but bundled into the net by Simpson, if who was playing with great pluck and dash, probably inspired by his "hat trick." Lyon's rushes were not now so sure as they had been, and O'Hara was quick to take advantage of a bad miss by the back. The head, however, did not trouble Mutch, his shot being yards wide. Against the powerful-bustling Aberdeen half-backs, the Hibs could make little progress, while the Aberdeen forwards were repeatedly dangerous. Lennie on the one wing McEachern on the other, by clever footwork, beat the Hibs' defence, the one shooting over and the other forcing a corner, which was not improved upon. Lennie gave O'Hagan a good pass, but the finishing shot lacked force, and was easily picked up by the goalkeeper.

The second half was a repetition of the first, the play being nearly all at the west end of the field, only with a difference that, with the wind, the Hibs were the attackers. As in the first period, however, the game was completely spoiled by the wind. The Edinburgh men were eager, and tried all they knew, it could not get the upper hand for that dour trio of sturdy Aberdeen half-backs. And when the Hibs' forwards did get a clear view of Mutch, Colman or Lyon usually sent them to the right-about. Against the wind, however, Lyon was a source of danger to his side, as his judgment was frequently at fault, and he several times missed the ball. A minute after the start the Aberdeen goal had a narrow escape, Harker, inside right, the best of the Hibs' forwards, sending in a high shot, which Mutch fisted out with his left hand a second before he was bundled into the net by Roughead. Twice Niblo lead a sweeping rush on the Hibs' goal by the Aberdeen forwards, and on each occasion the Edinburgh defence beat off the attack, and transfer to play to the other end. Mutch smartly cleared from O'Hara. So persistent were the Hibs' attacks that it looked odds on their scoring, and this seemed to be a certainty when a penalty kick was given against Aberdeen for Colman shoving out the ball with his arm at a critical juncture. Harker took the kick, and sent in a fast, low drive, which Mutch with the mighty spring diverted, amid the cheers of the crowd. Hibs continued to do most of the attacking, and several times had the Aberdeen defenders in a tight corner. The Edinburgh forwards, however, finished badly, the shooting being invariably high or wide, Harker being the only one who troubled Mutch seriously. Hibs were now have beaten team, despite their aggressiveness, as they could not bring their attack to the proper point, but it was certainly very hard on them to lose another goal after having pressed three-fourths of the period. It was the old story of the danger of a prolonged stay in opponents' territory. The besieged make a Sally, and inflict a smashing blow. Twice Niblo got away with a clear field. On both occasions the goalkeeper came out to meet the advancing foeman, who would have been more deadly with greater speed. The Aberdeen centre, however, did his best by kicking the ball over the goalkeepers head, but his direction was bad, and the ball rolled harmlessly past the outside of the goal. Niblo made amends the next time. He beat the backs, gave the goalkeeper shoulder, and running on banged the ball into the empty goal. Hibs pressed to the end, but failed to score, and a poor game ended - Aberdeen, 4; Hibernian, 0.

The amount drawn at the gates and stands was £131 10s.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 5th April 1909

During the past seven or eight weeks, Aberdeen have had a run of bad luck, and been beaten by the odd goal, when their play deserved a better result. Saturday's play revealed many of the points, which we have had more than once to point out, and which can only be realised when witnessed by the home supporters themselves. We are convinced that had a game or two of those which were played away been thrown in at home, different results would have occurred. The one thing which spoiled the play on Saturday was the strong wind. Aberdeen early adapted themselves to the conditions, and rarely missed getting these every time they got an opportunity. Simpson was the marksman, while Lennie and Niblo made the openings. To be three goals up inside a quarter of an hour puts confidence in a team, and this was evident, for the Hibs could get little or nothing done in the way of attack for stopping the home side from getting more goals. Crossing over, Hibs had more opportunities with the aid of the breeze, but they had to run up against a sound defence, playing splendidly, and who gave nothing away. A penalty, which only appeared patent to the referee, was finely saved by Mutch, and then to clinch the whole situation, Niblo scored a fourth goal in characteristic style. This finished the game so far as Hibs were concerned, and Aberdeen might have added had they cared to. Aberdeen have thus finished their League engagements a point ahead of last season, which means progress, though we expected by their excellent start that they would have done better.

Play and Players.,/p> The Hibs were served best by their defence, Allan in goal, and Main at back, being particularly noticeable. The halves worked hard, but never got into the run of the ball. On the left, several good runs were made but the others in the front line did not strike us as much above the average. The whole of the Aberdeen did well, but great interest was taken in how Lyon would shape at back. He began indifferently, by one or two miskicks, but in the second period gave a very fine display. Coleman and Mutoh were good, and so were the halves, of whom Macfarlane, who had to take Halkett's place at the last moment, was noticeable. Owing to the wind, MacEchern got less of the ball than usual, and was not seen to great advantage, but the others were in fine form, and gave a splendid exhibition.

Chatty Bits.

There were only some 30,000 present at the Palace on Saturday. Rather a poor attendance for an International.
Londoners had the boat race to watch in the forenoon, and had plenty of excitement for a day, while their favourite tip was upset at this event.
This is the poorest crowd that has been present for a number of years, but had it been known that the Prince of Wales was to grace the proceedings, no doubt a record crowd would have been seen.
At half-time the rival captains were introduced to His Royal Highness.
As usual, the crowd was well behaved, and typical of what an International gathering should be.
Wall was a perfect marvel for speed, and was the fastest man on the wing which England have had for many a day.
Pity the poor selectors after this reverse, they will get a warm time of it, when the A.G.M. comes round.
Club officials are now busy with the interviewing of players as to next year's engagement.
So far, very few, of the clubs seem to have been doing business - or they are keeping it very quiet.
Rumours are current as to impending changes at Pittodrie, but no authoritative views can be gathered. Reticence on both sides sums up the situation.
Aberdeen A, with a weak team, had to put up with a 3-2 defeat at Buckie on Saturday. Another fixture is spoken about in the north, to settle which is the best side.
The dispute between Aberdeen A and Dundee A in the Dewar Shield was threshed out on Saturday at Perth.
Dundee seems to have put forth a very lame plea for a replay; and the result was a unanimous verdict in favour of Aberdeen A.
The final tie for the Dewar Shield will be played between Aberdeen A and, Alloa Athletic on the 17th, and the chances are that Alloa will agree to Pittodrie being the venue.
There will be quite a rush of League games in and about Glasgow till the season closes. Celtic and Rangers have a good few postponed games to bring off.
The Glasgow Cup will not be allowed to interfere so seriously with League fixtures by another season.
Even though the Glasgow Association have adopted a rule that replays be brought off in midweek, the League clubs will also see to it that their interests are safeguarded by a rule to the same effect.

Source: Bon-Accord, 8th April 1909

Hibernian Teamsheet
W. Allan; Birrell, S. Allen; Callaghan, Paterson, Grieve; O'Hara, Harker, Peggie, Roughead, Smith
Attendance: 4,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. Murray, Stenhousemuir
Next Match
27 Apr 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen