Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 1 Third Lanark

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 1 Third Lanark

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Murray 5, Lennie 14.
Third Lanark scorers: Johnstone

28/08/1909 | KO:

These teams met at Aberdeen before 10,000 spectators. For the first twenty minutes nothing could hold the Aberdeen men in. Within a minute Lennie tested Brownlie with a swift shot, and within four minutes Tom Murray breasted the ball through from a capital pass by Soye. These reverses did not seem to arouse Third Lanark very much. The Aberdeen forwards were working with a perfect understanding, and the half-backs were doing very effective work. O'Hagan and Lennie were frequently brilliant, and the finest piece of play of the afternoon was when Lennie, receiving a pass from O'Hagan near midfield, raced off and beating Sloan, secured a beautiful goal. Near half-time the Third asserted themselves, and after a determined attack, Rankine passed to Johnstone, who beat Mutch with a hard drive. The second half was well contested, although the visitors had by far the better of the play, Aberdeen half-backs falling off considerably. There was no scoring, however, and the game ended in Aberdeen having a fortunate win by two goals to one. The estimated gate was £240.

Source: The Scotsman, 30th August 1909

A crowd of 10,000 spectators attended at Pittodrie Park on Saturday afternoon, when Aberdeen opened their Scottish League season at home with a visit from Third Lanark. The weather was delightful, and the following teams lined up on a fast trying pitch:-

Aberdeen: Mutch; Colman, Hume; Davidson, Moffat, Miller; H. Murray, Soye, T. Murray, O'Hagan, Lennie.
Third Lanark: Brownlie; Sloan, Barr; Fairfoull, Ferguson, Mainds; Rankine, Johnstone, Richardson, Kidd, Prentice. Referee - Mr. R. S. Kelso, Hamilton.

Aberdeen, having won the toss, played east with the sun and breeze in their rear. Kidd and Prentice first took the eye with aggressive work, but Davidson relieved nicely, and Tom Murray and O'Hagan made ground, the latter's pass ahead the nullified by the pivot getting offside. O'Hagan was again prominent, and, with a drawing move, he let Lennie away, the winger's final effort bringing Brownlie to his knees, and H. Murray fastening onto the clearance, made the ball soar over the bar. Swinging pass is an accurate returns by the halves again brought the ball into Brownlie's zone of fire, but he kept his fortress well, and the home attack, culminating in a shot from Lennie, he repulsed in a masterly fashion. Subsequent upon an on rush by Richardson and Kidd and relieving punt by Colman, Soye got possession near midfield. H. Murray, after making progress, centred, and Warriors Brownlie and Barr wavered. Tom Murray was between them, and breasted through a goal after 5 minutes play. Aberdeen after this seemed irresistible, Tom Murray being eager for goals, but Brownlie gave nothing away. Tom Murray continued to play finely, and his distribution of the ball met all local desires. Fairfoull was often badly tripped by the Wyllie O'Hagan, and Lennie found Sloan at times easy to negotiate, and the winger had dire luck with a shot from 40 yards out the cup the post. Ferguson was a Warrior stalwart, and his returns like Kidd dribble away and pass to Prentice, who failed on meeting Colman. Back came Richardson, however, and having beaten Moffat he was in the act of shooting when Colman charged down the shot. Splendid football was being served up. Sloan spoiled the advantage of his sides advanced by kicking recklessly out of the arena. O'Hagan let Lennie away from midfield in masterly fashion, and although Sloan was in close attendance, little winger cut swiftly and surely goalwards, and ended his run with a splendid goal, Aberdeen's second success coming after 14 minutes' play. Still Aberdeen held the upper hand, and Brownlie had to fall on top of a neat instep tip from O'Hagan. A foul against Mainds took the homesters back to the attack, and a spell of pretty, low passing was witnessed between the halves and forwards. At last Ferguson, cleverly dispossessing Lennie, was the means of initiating a Third Lanark attack, and Richardson was through when Colman charged down his shot. Off when the Aberdeen right, but the subsequent cross went for nothing, as the pivot was given off side. Next minute, after a clever dribble, that player's shot so Brownlie beaten, but the upright saved his charge. Subsequent play was full of running, and Third Lanark, who became the aggressors, were met by defence which refused to be beaten. With high shots from Lennie and H. Murray, Brownlie had to use his fists. Rankin raised the siege, and beating Millar at the corner flag, past to Johnstone, who scored with a terrific shot before Hume could tackle him. 3 minutes from the interval the first corner of the much fell to Aberdeen, but was unproductive, and another, following upon forcing work by the two Murray's was likewise fruitless.

O'Hagan and Lennie raced away at the resumption, but Sloan transferred, and Mutch had to handle from Johnstone. The Third's now did the bulk of the aggressive work, and with the local halves almost completely out of a the picture, matters were none too promising for Aberdeen. The sides settled down to a long passing game, and this proved eminently successful until Colman and Hume were reached, the pair setting up a stout defence. Colman was proving the best back on the field, and he and his partner were the best pair. Mutch's goal had a narrow escape when Richardson, from close in, lifted the ball high, and another time Colman luckily got in Johnstone's vision, while immediately after Mutch had to clear from Rankine. Lennie relieved the pressure, and Sloan, rather than allow the winger to shoot, kicked the ball into the corner. The kick was well placed, and the Aberdeen centre got been one of his characteristic headers, but Brownlie cleared smartly. Next, H. Murray raced enthusiasm with a sprint down the centre of the field, is 30 yards shot causing Brownlie to throw himself at full length and concede a corner, from which nothing accrued. At the other end much brought off a wonderful save at close quarters from Johnstone, and Soye, ploughing his way out of a host of Warriors brought relief. Lennie flashed down the wing in his characteristic style, and when Tom Murray was fouled in attempting to get at the cross, the crowd clamoured for a penalty, but the referee paid no heed. Soye went lame, and changed places with H. Murray. Rankine netted for Thirds, but offside nullified the point. Johnstone next was almost through, but Colman saved the situation at the expense of Third's first corner, which was the forerunner of another - both fruitless. Play was fast till the finish, Third's making desperate but on a failing efforts to equalise.

Estimated gate drawings, £240.


Aberdeen were easily worth of their half-time lead, but in the second half Third Lanark were by far the superior side. If taking the game all over, Third Lanark were unlucky not to draw, but it must be admitted that they never touched the form displayed by Aberdeen in the first half-hour of the game, when the victory was won.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 30th August 1909


There was a splendid response to the opening game at Pittodrie on Saturday with Third Lanark, over 8000 persons being present when the ball was set in motion.

After a heavy rainfall during the forenoon, the surface was slippery for football, while the broiling sun kept the players perspiring too freely in the afternoon. The altered appearance of the banking at the west end of the grounds is a great improvement, and one that led to many encomiums from those who were privileged to view the genie from that vantage point. On Donald Colman winning the toss, the excite ment started, and for fully ten minutes Aberdonians got great value for their money. The "wasps" were roaming all over the "warriors." Sloan had a most troublesome pair in O'Hagen and Lennie to deal with. Tom Murray screwed in an angular shot within five minutes, which Brownlie had no chance with, Barr being compleyely tricked by the move. When Lennie shortly after cut in on his own and beat the international custodian for the second time, the points were as good as won. Up to this we were only seeing one team in the picture, the Third's players being obscured altogether. Towards the end of the first half, however, a little slackness on the part of the defence let the viitors in, and Johnstone opened their acount. A good half, in which the Aberdeen were superior all through, and ought to have scored another couple of goals, ended 2-1 in their favour.
The second portion opened briskly, but it was evident that Soye had suffered rather severely from a kick he got early in the game, and was wearing an elastic stocking to relieve the tension. This completely spoiled the homee attack, amd a heavy burden was thrown on the defence, who came out of the ordeal in great style. There were frequent eceasions in which the visitors had the hardest of luck, and bad finishing combined to account for their not drawing level before the game ended. Aberdeen placed too much reliance on their lead, while the crippled front line did not make the same use of the ball as in the opening stage. But for Mutch, Colman, and Hume, there is no saying what might have happened, for these three stopped many promising rushes, which kept the spectators on tenter-hooks all the time.
This portion ended barren, and Aberdeen were once in a way favoured with a bit of luck to win both points by a 2-1 victory as, all over, a draw would have fairly represented the run of play.

It was mistaken tactics on the part of the halves to lie back in the second portion, leaving too much of a gap between them and their forwards. Whoerer was responsible for this piece of advice made a blunder, for it spoiled the front line from performing as they did in the early part of the game, and also made the halves appear as if they were done up, and not fit to last the game. Outside this the home defence as already indicated, were in very fine form. Mutch was safe, Colman the best back on the field, with Hume a close second. Opinions may he divided as to the middle line's play. They were all much on a par - none were seen to greater advantage than the other, while the drawing back in the second half spoiled their work considerably. The forwards gave us the impression of being a fine balanced team, with the left pair the most aggressiVe and troublesome. We fancy that had Soye not been disabled, there would have been more goals. Brownlie was in his best mood, and kept out some good shots, his backs, Barr and Sloan, being rather slow in recovery to prove of great assistance to him. The halves are a heavy lot, Ferguson being the pick, while Rankine and Johnston were the moving spirits of the front line. The centre, Richardson was poor, and Kidd and Prentice on the left were little above ordinary form. We fancy that improvements will have to be made on both teams before points will come as a certainty to either side. On Saturday's display the play could be made to be more effective and attractive too.


It is stated that McNair, who played for Aberdeen last season, is likely to throw in his lot with East Stirlingshire. That is to say, if Aberdeen agree to transfer him.
There seems to be considerable disappointment down Govan way at the non-success of the Rangers' team.
Queen's Park were without R. S. M'Coll and Harold Paul on Saturday; still, their youngsters managed to make a draw with the Hearts.
Our old friend "Rab" Macfarlane, who did so well for Aberdeen in his day, sails tomorrow for Australia. The good wishes of Aberdonians go with him.
Saturday week is Glasgow Cup first round day. Aberdeen have no League fixture on that day, so they will likely play Dundee in the East of Scotland Cup ties.
This Saturday will be a most momentous one for the game in England. The Players must obey or get suspended.
Wilfred Low is included as centre half in the first League game of Newcastle United aginst Bolton Wanderers.
A considerable number of changes are announced this week in view of the Qualifying Ties.
It is regarded that Aberdeen have a pretty stiff journey to beat the Hearts at Edinburgh this week, especially if they are unable to get their full team to travel.
We are informed that the drawings at Pittodrie were the largest for an opening match that the club has yet taken.

Source: Bon-Accord, 2nd September 1909

Third Lanark Teamsheet
Brownlie; Sloan, Barr; Fairfoull, Ferguson, Mainds; Rankine, Johnstone, Richardson, Kidd, Prentice
Attendance: 10,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. R. S. Kelso, Hamilton
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride