Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 0 Hibernian

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Hibernian

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Soye 37.

25/09/1909 | KO:

The 8000 spectators who assembled at Pittodrie Park, Aberdeen, saw an exceedingly stubborn game, the upshot of which was that the Hibernians experienced their first League defeat of the season. Both sides were at full strength, the ground was soft, and there was no wind to speak of. In the earlier stages the Hibernians had the pull in the outfield play, but seldom got near goal, and once Aberdeen got set their right wing, Simpson and H. Murray, troubled the Hibernians, whose defence got rather shakey under a series of attacks. Ten minutes from the interval Soye scored from a pass by Lennie, and Aberdeen still held their advantage on crossing over.
Beating back an early attack, the Hibernians played strongly for a time, and Dixon hit the side net, and Peggie headed in for Mutch to save. Thereafter play was evenly divided. Mutch saved from Paterson at the one end, and Simpson, at the other, hit the posts twice. Nothing further was scored. Result :- Aberdeen, one goal; Hibernians, nothing.

Source: The Scotsman, 27th September 1909

The well-known Edinburgh football team, the Hibernians - who had an undefeated record in the league this season - were north on Saturday, playing the Aberdeen team in a League match. The meeting aroused a good deal of interest, the feeling among followers of the game in Aberdeen being that the victorious heads had come north to have their record demolished. The corresponding fixture last year resulted in a victory for Aberdeen by 4 goals to 0. An important change was decided on in the Aberdeen team, Soye, late of Newcastle, displacing Tom Murray at centre forward. The Hibernians team included Edgar, an amateur player, late of the Aberdeen team the teams were:-

Aberdeen: Mutch; Colman, Hume; Wilson, Moffat, Miller; Murray, Simpson, Soye, O'Hagan, Lennie.
Hibernians: W. Allan; Maine, S. Allan; O'Hara, Paterson, Duguid; Dixon, Edgar, Peggie, Callaghan, Smith.
Referee - Mr. D. J. Liddell, Glasgow.

What little advantage there was in a very light wind Hibs secured, and, playing towards the city, they immediately forced to Aberdeen into the defensive. Colman and Hume both had to kick out, and then Murray on the Aberdeen right got away, and troubled S. Allan. On the opposite wing Lennie was responsible for raising excitement in the Hibs' goal front, the brisk attack serving to bring out the great powers of the Hibs' backs. The first goalkeeper to handle was Mutch, a shot from Dixon giving little trouble. An infringement by Aberdeen gave main the opportunity of placing a dangerous ball. Colman intercepting with his head and diverting its flight. So far the Aberdeen left wing had been well held by the opposing players, and a close watching on this side of the field gave Simpson and Murray more moving room, although when tackled the right wingers were inclined to keep the ball too close. After the first 10 minutes play, Hibs took a firm grip of the game, and hemmed the Aberdonians well into their own end of the field. Still the Hibs' forwards seldom got near enough too Mutch to be dangerous, although a long shot by Dixon was turned over the touch line by Moffat just in time. Peggie, the centre forward, the only really dangerous man in the Hibs' front line, had to be closely watched, and he was about to shoot on one occasion, when he was sharply knocked aside and dispossessed by Miller. The ball came back again, and Mutch had a good few yards to run to clear. Aberdeen then attacked, but the ending was disappointing, Murray shooting wide from a good position. Mutch, at the other end, was cheered for stopping a long, powerful shot by Paterson, the Aberdeen goalkeeper coming down on his knees in its effort. Hibs continued to show the better play, and the spectators, becoming anxious, loudly called upon Aberdeen to come away. The Aberdeen men were eager and played well, but they were meeting a strong defence, which had rather forcible methods, and their close passing was not allowed to develop the crucial point. Soye came near to goal with a header, which Allan got, and then Simpson, from a rebound from his own cranium, hooked the ball over his head, causing Allen to move quickly in catching it and getting it away. The game was fought out sturdily, great determination, but not much pretty play, being the rule on both sides. Aberdeen had been the attackers for some time, when, after 37 minutes' play, Lennie, cleverly dodging and dribbling, let drive. The ball glanced off on opponents foot to Soye, and the Aberdeen centre, with a fast low shot, which completely beat Allan, found the net, amid the delighted cheers of the 10,000 spectators. Encouraged by their success, Aberdeen vigorously attacked, and Hibs had their hands full in keeping out the forwards, particularly Simpson and Murray, who were at this time playing the wing game superbly. Simpson sent in a shot, which Allan held with difficulty, the Hibs' custodian for a few minutes having a trying time, in the course of which he was winded, play having to be stopped until he came round.

Almost from the start of the second half the Hibs had to act on the defensive, the stiffest work of their half-backs and backs being to prevent O'Hagan and Lennie from getting too near the west goal. Lennie was again and again the centre of observation, and his cleverness annoyed his opponents, one of whom was cautioned by the referee for adopting the tactics of a man whose motto is "If I cannot beat you by fair means, I'll do it by foul." Allen saved from Lennie, and then for seven minutes or so it's had the better of the argument, developing an attack which looked irresistible in the open, but brought down at close quarters with the Aberdeen defenders, who were not a whit behind the much-talked-about Hibs rear division. Smith on one occasion got away, and his cross was missed by Colman, while Hume was further up the field. Moffat filled the breach, and kicked out, he also missing. Mutch saw the weakness, and was prepared to receive the ball when it reached him. Both goals were attacked in turn, and both had narrow escapes. Hibs last rally came to an end when, following up a free kick, Paterson tried Mutch's high leaping powers with a 30 yards drive. Aberdeen then attacked again and again, Simpson and Murray giving a masterly display, the trickiness and elusive passing gradually wearing down the opposition of S. Allan. All efforts by the Hibs' forwards - a weak lot Barbara centre - were checked by the Aberdeen half-backs, who were tackling and placing in rare style. The crowd groaned when Soye, trapping a grand cross by Lennie, kicked feebly to Allan when a hard drive would have almost certainly beaten the goalkeeper, so close was the range. Shortly after Soye again got the ball, but he was knocked off by Main when shooting from almost the same spot, the ball rolling harmlessly to Allan. Simpson also had hard lines, one of his shots, after beating Allan, striking the crossbar. Simpson's splendid efforts, ably seconded as they were by Murray, were worthy of a goal, and that the gold did not come was due to the remarkable luck which favoured the Hibs. Near the close Hibs made a desperate attempt to equalise, but they were driven back by Colman. Aberdeen were worthy of a second goal in the closing minutes, a fast shot by Simpson striking the upright and rebounding into play, Simpson again getting it and missing by inches high with a terrific drive. Aberdeen won a well-earned victory.

To that goal, back, and in the middle-line the teams were evenly matched, but forward Aberdeen were infinitely superior at all points except centre.

The gate was estimated at £220.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 27th September 1909


It was evident that there was something out of the usual on at Pittodrie when such a large crowd remained in town over the holiday to witness the game there. Still, the crowd was no so large as the management expected, in view of the unbeaten record which the Hibs brought north with them, but the attendace was larger than usual prior to a holiday. One sure drawback was the uncertainty of the weather, which had been playing havoc with everything prior to Saturday and in the early morning was not inclined to give way till noon advanced, and then with a soft smile Jup. Pluv. allowed the game to proceed on quite orthodox lines.
the Hibs were playing the same team as in the previous two games, and Aberdeen were resting Murray, to give Soye a chance at centre. Allan was made to look active at the very start from an oblique shot which Bert Murray, put across at express speed, and, this was quickly followed by a howl of indignation at O'Hara for forcibly shoving Lennie into touch. Hume then relieved a bit of pressure on the, part of the Hibs, but their attack never gave the home defence very much anxiety. Once Peggie was very nearly through, but offside was given before the galloper got moving. It may be said that this was the only forward on the Hibs' side who gave Colman and his friends any trouble. With a strong, reliable defence, the Hibs were keeping out everyining that came for goal, and it baffled the home forwards to get an opening, try all they could. Lennie and Murray, the latter especialiy in the opening half, got round the halves' easily, only to be checkmated by the hacks and goalkeeper. Play ruled fast and exciting, and although Mutch seldom got to touch, the ball, Allan fielded some grand shots. Thirty minutes had gone, and it looked as if the half was to be barren, when a brisk attack was kept up on Allan, who was beaten by a low shot from Soye out of a melee in front of goal. Simpson had an excellent try shortly after, while Wilson lofted one over tile bar, which should have counted. Abeerdeen finished strong, and deserved their lead on play.

The only incidents which marred the second half were several bits of temper, which did not go so far as to be serioue; still, it was a pity they were shown. Aberdeen pressed at the start, Lennie striking the wrong side once, and Simpson struck the bar with another, Soye finishing the assault with a soft one, which Allan got away easily. For a short time-the Hibs got towards Mutch, but all he had to do was of a soft nature. Only once did the defence make a mistake, and that was when a miskick very nearly let Edgar in, but Mutch got the ball first and punted clear. This was the only time that the Hibs were dangerous, or had a chance of drawing level.
Aberdeen went away strong for another goal, and the kicking of Main and Allan left, nothing to be desired, so that the home club had to be content with their goal lead, and the points to the bargain. The play was dour while it lasted but was never brilliant.


The outstanding feature of the Hibs is their fine defence. Allan, in goal, is safe, and Falkirk must regret having parted with such a custodian, for they have not his equal vet. Main and S. Allan are a couple of as fine backs as any club could wish to have serving them. Strong kicking, fearles tacklers, combined with a good turn of speed, they make a defence which has stood the club in good stead up till now, and they will keep many opponents from scoring, or we are very much mistaken. The halves are not a finished trio, but they get there, and rid themselves of the ball very quickly. There was nothing very striking in the forward line. Peggie being the most dangerous, with Smith coming next in point of merit, while the others were just fair.
We have seen Aberdeen play a much better game all over than they did on Saturday. Mutch did his little bit very well, and all thought Hume the better back of the two on Saturday, while the halves, did their part very well, with Moffat slightly ahead with some capitally-judged heading to his forwards. In the front rank, we have seen them all do better, and the excuse given, which may be correct enough, is that the pitch being so greasy, made the ball much more difficult to gather than it otherwise would have been. That being so, we do not seek to find much fault with them, though, had they been in the same form as at Ibrox, our opinion is that they would have had a few more goals.

Source: Bon-Accord, 30th September 1909

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Mutch, Colman, Hume, Wilson, Moffat, Millar, Murray, Simpson, Soye, O'Hagan, Lennie.
Hibernian Teamsheet
W. Allan; Maine, S. Allan; O'Hara, Paterson, Duguid; Dixon, Edgar, Peggie, Callaghan, Smith
Attendance: 10,500
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. D. J. Liddell, Glasgow
Next Match
Heart of Midlothian
09 Dec 2023 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen