Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Morton 0 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Morton 0 - 0 Aberdeen

League Cup Second Round
Aberdeen scorers: Rae 109, Vernon 114.

22/08/2012 | KO: 19:30

Late Late Show as Dons Progress in Extra Time

Aberdeen eventually saw off their lower league opponents in this one but it took extra time to settle the match with two late goals from Gavin Rae and Scott Vernon. The Dons dominated large parts of the game and although Jamie Langfield had to make several saves the visitors just about deserved the victory.

Craig Brown made one change to his side that beat St Johnstone the weekend previous. Russell Anderson was replaced by Mark Reynolds in the centre of defence alongside Andrew Considine.

Just prior to kick off there was heavy rain shower and the when the game got under way it did so at a frenetic pace, particularly for the home side who called Langfield into action early on. Stephen Stirling with the shot that was heading for the top corner until the Dons number 1 tipped it over for a corner.

With just a few minutes gone, Ryan Fraser was scythed down on the right by Michael Tidser in what appeared to be retaliation for the youngsters tackle a few moments earlier. It was a terrible challenge.

Johnny Hayes then combined well with Stephen Hughes as Aberdeen looked to create an opening but that move was halted well by the Morton defence before they gave away another free kick for a poor challenge on Isaac Osbourne.

The Dons could have taken the lead a short while later when Ryan Jack hit a fantastic shot and when Gaston in the Morton goal parried the strike Scott Vernon was unlucky not to connect with it. Ryan Fraser was fouled again on the left, and he got up to deliver a fantastic free kick which Mark Reynolds nearly got his head to.

2 crosses from Fraser in close succession nearly resulted in the SPL side taking the lead but Gavin Rae shot straight at Gaston after the second cross.

The game was raging from end to end with little quality in the final third but following a good cross into the box Gary Naysmith headed only as far as Peter Wetherston who found space to have a shot and shot just wide of the post. A short while later, the Dons were again thankful to Reynolds after he managed to stop Weatherson taking a shot after the ball cruelly bounced off Ryan Jack into the forwards path.

Isaac Osbourne had scored his first goal in the previous game in Perth and looked eager to double his tally but he blasted his shot well over the bar. All too often the final ball for the Dons was letting them down, with Vernon not really having many opportunities in the first period.

Just before half time, the Dons had to make a substitution with Stephen Hughes replaced by Chris Clark.

HT 0-0

Morton forced a series of attacks in the opening few minutes of the second half all of which came to nothing. Following a good break by the visitors though Morton broke up field and Graham shot just wide of the left hand post.

Referee Ian Brines then waived claims for a penalty from Aberdeen away after fantastic link up play between firstly Rae and Vernon then Naysmith and Fraser. Moments later Vernon and Hayes combined before Rae had a fantastic shot that Gaston did well to turn behind for a corner.

A chipped ball for Johnny Hayes on 66 minutes nearly set Vernon up but Morton blasted the ball out for a corner. Vernon headed just wide a few minutes later after a superb cross from Ryan Jack as the Dons began to dominate the first division side.

Mark McLaughlin was then guilty of a rash challenge on Johnny Hayes for which the Morton player was booked. The home side did manage a few efforts on goal with sub Archie Campbell at the centre of most of their attacks and he brought out a couple of fine saves from Langfield.

Osbourne had another shot on 78 minutes which he blasted over the bar but Morton began to dominate the closing stages of the second half but they couldn't find the break through to the relief of the travelling Red Army.

Craig Brown made another change with Pawlett replacing Fraser on 85 minutes. Morton had a fantastic chance to end normal time when Archie Campbell found himself through on goal butMark Reynolds did well to avert the danger and put the player off.

FT 0-0

Extra time began with the Dons on top and Pawlett nearly headed a Jack cross on goal but just narrowly missed the connection. Pawlett himself then went on a fantastic run and provided a great cross for Vernon who looked to have a tap in but somehow the home defence managed to clear.

A low cross from Graham caused panic in the Dons rearguard but no one was there to finish the move off while up the other end another shot from Osbourne was blasted over the cross bar and a shot from Pawlett was blocked as the deadlock still couldn't be broken.

HT in ET 0-0

A combination of Langfield and Considine prevented the Dons from falling behind just after the restart when Campbell was sent through on goal and probably should have scored.

But the breakthrough wasn't far away when on 108 minutes Gavin Rae headed the ball past Gaston to the relief of the Dons players and fans. At long last it looked like the dreaded penalties wouldn't be taking place.

Scott Vernon tried to make sure they wouldn't happen but when he found himself through on goal keeper Gaston made a fine stop and Pawlett couldn't collect the rebound. It was just a matter of time until the Dons did seal it though and it was Vernon who slotted home the second after he combined well with Gavin Rae on 115 minutes.

Craig Brown made his final substitution of the evening when Magennis replaced Naysmith but the Dons saw the remaining time out and progressed through to the third round of the Scottish Communities League Cup.

Morton Teamsheet
Derek Gaston, Willie Dyer, Craig Reid, Mark McLaughlin (Jason Naismith 86), Scott Taggart, Fouad Bachirou, Stephen Stirling (Tony Wallace 60), Michael Tidser, David O'Brien, David Graham, Peter Weatherson (Archie Campbell 73). Unused Subs: Alan Combe, Kyle Wilkie.

Bookings:  David O'Brien (13),   Mark McLaughlin (73),   Craig Reid (84).
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Langfield, Osbourne, Considine, Reynolds, Naysmith (Magennis 116), Rae, Hughes (Hughes 43), Jack, Hayes, Vernon, Fraser (Pawlett 85).

Unused Subs: Rogers, Paton.
Attendance: 2,817
Venue: Cappielow Park, Greenock
Referee: Iain Brines
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead