Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Dundee 0 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Dundee 0 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)

01/01/1910 | KO: 12:30

A huge holiday crowd, numbering fully, 15000 spectators, witnessed these teams play a stirring game at Dens Park, Dundee. The weather was fine, and the good condition of the ground helped to make the play fast. In the first half play was equally distributed, both goals being strongly attacked. Crumley made several good saves for Dundee who failed to finish their excellent work in midfield. Langlands shot over when well placed, and, as the result of a miskick by Chaplin, Aberdeen almost succeeded in opening the scoring. On resuming, Mutch saved a magnificent shot by Macfarlane, but he had little chance with a terrific drive from McEwen, which, however, struck the post and rebounded into play. Langlands also hit the post with a shot at close range. Aberdeen were occasionally at Crumley's end, where they got a fruitless corner-kick, without seriously threatening Dundee's goal. The loss of Langlands through injuries in the closing stages handicapped Dundee, who strongest efforts to get a goal were without result. The game ended in a draw - no scoring.

Source: The Scotsman, 3rd January 1910

Honours Divided

The new arrangement arrived at between Dundee and Aberdeen whereby New Year's day fixtures in the League to be played alternatively at Dens Park and Pittodrie has come to stay. No one who was at Dundee on Saturday will deny this, for some 12,000 spectators were crammed into the enclosure, and they got splendid value for their money. It only remains for the Aberdeen spectators to patronise the venture in the same numbers when their turn comes, and the fixture is assured for all time. Dens Park was not in its best condition when the teams arrived, a liberal supply of rain during the morning and early forenoon making the surface look rather moist. However, once the teams went off, there was little signs of heaviness in anything, for the pace was fast, Aberdeen being determined to get there. Only once could we say that we were really afraid of Aberdeen's downfall and that was when the back, McEwan, with a mighty drive almost sent the goalposts out of the ground, the ball rebounding back to the same player, so great was force with which he propelled it. On the other hand, Aberdeen deserved to have had a couple of goals at least out of the many chances that carne their way. They were pressing so hard that Murray sent in a teaser to Crumley, who could only partially clear, and Bobby Simpson fastenng on struck the post with the shot. What a fine chance it was!

But this was not the only one, for Soye had another cross from Lennie which he should have scored with, but just failed to get there in time before Chaplin. There were other good shots sent in, but these were not so palpable as these we have mentioned. And at the close of the first forty-five we felt quite confident of Aberdeen pulling it off. Quite a transformation ensued when they commenced again, for Dundee forwards seemed to get into their short passing game, and try as they might the Aberdeen halves could not hold them in the same way as in the opening period. Their marksmanship was none better than Aberdeen's, however. Mutch dealt with every shot that carne his way, never relaxing a muscle the while. Dundonians were roused to a. great pitch when Hunter towards the finish made a gallop away on his own to shoot, and although he missed everything in his parting effort, Sandy Much seemed so cool between the posts that nothing could have beaten him. That points were divided through neither team be┬Čing able to score was really a fair reflex of the run of the play.

The Players

One gratifying feature of Saturday's game at Dens Park was the absence of "feeling" throughout the game between the players, and this led to the play being more interesting than we have seen for some time between the teams. We have said so much about Dundee that we need not repeat it over again, but their salvation on Saturday was entirely due to their half-back line. Their forwards seem useless when opposed by bustlers. Aberdeen?s halves on Saturday were triumphant during the first period, but did not sustain their brilliance in the closing half. The forwards played well though their shooting might have had more sting in it. Of the lot we would say that none deserves more credit than Sandy Mutch for his work between the sticks.

Source: Bon-Accord, 6th January 1910

The Scottish League fixture at Dens Park, Dundee, on Saturday, between Aberdeen and Dundee, attracted a large crowd of spectators, fully 14,000 witnessing a stirring encounter in favourable weather. Although somewhat soft on the surface, the pitch nevertheless was in fine trim, with the result that some really good play was served up. At 12:30 the teams lined up as follows:-

Aberdeen: Mutch; Colman, Hume; Davidson, Wilson, Miller; H. Murray, Simpson, Soye, O'Hagan, Lennie.
Dundee: Crumley; Chaplin, McEwan; Lee, Dainty, Comrie; Bellamy, Langlands, Hunter, Macfarlane, Fraser.
Referee - Mr. D. J. Liddell, Glasgow.

Both teams received an ovation when they appeared on the field. Colman won the toss, and Aberdeen had the benefit of a slight breeze in the first half. The opening stages were lively, and on the whole the play was evenly divided. Lennie was the first to catch the eye, but after beating Lee on the run, the left-winger, was smartly pulled up by Chaplin. Gradually the Dundee right wing came to the front, a long pass from Langlands to Bellamy being picked up by the latter near the touch line. Cutting into goal, the right-winger was fouled by one of the Aberdeen defenders, and for a time the visitors' goal ran several narrow escapes. Mutch saved cleverly from Langlands, while next minute Macfarlane headed past, the bald just passing over the crossbar. A long drive from Bellamy was easily cleared by Mutch, and then Aberdeen came away in strong fashion, Lennie and O'Hagan combining splendidly on the left wing, while Murray was also seen two advantage on the right. Long, swinging pass is characterized the Aberdeen forward play, and this style of game led to a great deal of work being thrown on the Dundee backs and half-backs. Twice within five minutes' Lennie centred right into the Dundee goalmouth, only to witness his work thrown away owing to the inability of the other forwards to take advantage of their openings. The Dundee defence, however, played steadily, and were rarely in difficulties, Lee frequently falling back to the assistance of Chaplin and McEwan. Indeed, the write-half was the most conspicuous player for his side during a vigorous attack by Aberdeen. The Pittodrie men were ahead of their rivals in the finer points of the game, I and, all over, there were no weak spots in the team at this stage of the game. With all their cleverness, however, the Aberdeen forwards were rarely allowed to get a shot in, so keen was the tackling of the opposition. On one occasion Murray almost succeeded in beating Crumley, the goalkeeper saving cleverly while on the ground, with three Aberdeen forwards striving hard to get at the ball. Crumley, however, managed to avert danger, but next minute his goal had a lucky escape, a slow shot from Simpson rolling past the outside of the upright when the goalkeeper was at the opposite end of the goal area. Keeping up the pressure, Aberdeen were seen to great advantage, their football being nippy, and altogether ahead of that shown by Dundee. A smart combined run by Fraser and Macfarlane, however, almost caught the Aberdeen defence napping, but Colman came to the rescue with a rare bit of tackling, while Hume pulled up Langlands and Bellamy just when the right-wing pair were racing straight ahead in the direction of goal. The play was almost entirely free from questionable tactics, the referee being rarely called upon to interfere in the game. The pace never slackened, and lots of really high class football was witnessed. Goals, however, could not be obtained, the strong defence set up by both sides being too good for the opposing attacks. Near the interval the players eased up for a time, but in the closing eight minutes of the first half both sides worked tremendously hard for goal. A fine drive by Fraser was headed clear by Hume, while Lennie and Soye had good tries at the other end. Bellamy lost a fine chance of scoring when he shot from fully 20 yards' range instead of running right into goal, while dainty and hunter failed at goalmouth after good work by Langlands. Just on half-time Aberdeen came away with a fine rally, the entire front rank joining in the movement, but Lennie's parting shot went wide of the net.

To the second half was responsible for some very fast football - indeed, the game during this period was even more stirring and the opening 45 minutes. Dundee laid off in promising style, and no sooner had the game been restarted down the home forwards were down on Mutch in a body. A long shot from the right almost caught Mutch unawares, but the goalkeeper cleared all right. Wilson set his forwards agoing. Murray founding Comrie in fine style, but McEwan brought up the right-winger, but gave away a corner at the same time. Dundee, however, were soon at the other end of the field, their wing half-backs playing capital football, for they not only kept the Aberdeen forwards in check, but also gave Bellamy and Fraser numerous openings. The Aberdeen half-backs, on the other hand, exhibited signs of tiring, although Wilson was frequently in evidence and rarely allowed hunter to get far afield. Two capital tries by Bellamy struck Colman and Wilson in the goalmouth, while later on the last named successfully blocked Bellamy on the goal line. A corner followed, and once more the Aberdeen goal ran a narrow escape. First Mutch fisted clear, and then Colman headed a way not a moment too soon. A sudden breakaway by Lennie, O'Hagan, and Soye caused uneasiness in the Dundee camp. Murray joined in the movement, leaving his place on the right and for a few minutes played as an inside left. He got on the ball within a few yards of Crumley, and that once let drive, is shot being one of the best sent in during the match. The goalkeeper made a wonderful clearance, however, and again Dundee took up the running. Only the soul and determined defence of Aberdeen kept the home team from gaining the lead. Colman was always in evidence, while Mutch made no mistakes, fielding the ball with great skill, and being generally in the right position in dealing with high shots. On one occasion, however, the goalpost came to the assistance of Mutch. Following upon a corner, the ball was sent up the field by Wilson, and McEwan meted on the drop. The left back returned the leather without hesitation, his shot striking the upright with tremendous force, Mutch being powerless to save, for just as McEwan delivered his shot the goalkeeper was at full stretch on the ground. Later on a header from Langlands struck the opposite upright, and in the midst of a regular melee in the Aberdeen goalmouth Wilson got a bad kick from Hunter. It was quite a accidental, however, for Hunter as ounce was just on the point of shooting for goal, when the centre-half nipped away the ball, with the result that hunters boot came in violent contact with Wilson's ankle. Hunter lost a rare chance of scoring a few minutes later. He got right through between the backs, and then, with the ball at his feet and only Mutch to beat, the centre, for some reason that was not apparent, suddenly drew up and was easily blocked by Wilson. Till the close the play was tremendously hard and full of excitement, but neither side could score, and the end came with a game standing level - no scoring.

The match was splendidly contested, the football being of a high class throughout. Dundee were, if anything, the better side, and ought to have one. The Aberdeen defence was very sound, Mutch, Colman, and Hume being at the top of their form. Wilson was the pick of the half-backs. All the forwards did well in the first half, but fell away in the second period. Murray was the pick, with Lennie and O'Hagan next in order of merit. On the Dundee side lee, Comrie, Langlands, Macfarlane, and the backs and goalkeeper were the most prominent players.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 3rd January 1910

Dundee Teamsheet
Crumley; Chaplin, McEwan; Lee, Dainty, Comrie; Bellamy, Langlands, Hunter, Macfarlane, Fraser
Attendance: 14,000
Venue: Dens Park, Dundee
Referee: Mr. D. J. Liddell, Glasgow
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride