Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 1 Dundee

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 1 Dundee

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Murray, O'Hagan, Wilson.
Dundee scorers: Fraser

23/04/1910 | KO:

Aberdeen's New Record

At Aberdeen, before 8000 spectators. The game opened in a lively fashion, Aberdeen at an early stage pressing on the left. Aberdeen opened the scoring through Tom Murray, after O'Hagan had paved the way for the centre forward to rush in and beat Crumley. Two minutes later Fraser equalised for Dundee, following upon a corner. Dundee pressed up till within a few minutes of the interval, when O'Hagan capped a fine bit of individual play by scoring a second goal. In the second half, Dundee played with ten men, Neal being injured. The play favoured Aberdeen, but Dundee defended skilfully. Occasionally they tested Mutch, Dainty having two good tries for goal. Near the finish Wilson scored a third goal for Aberdeen. Result :- Aberdeen, three goals; Dundee, one.

Source: The Scotsman, 25th April 1910

On Saturday, Aberdeen were able to add a new record to their career in the League, in that they defeated Dundee for the first time at Pittodrie under League auspices. The cup holders were minus Macfarlane from the team that won the cup, and when they stepped on the field received as hearty an ovation as they ever will. Quite a refreshing game was served up by the teams, who went at it "hammer and tongs" style; but the shooting was a trifle off the mark all through. A troublesome wind made the ball difficult to control, it going too frequently out of play on the north side. Aberdeen got into their stride first, Crumley getting the first bit of dangerous work to clear. The confident way the backs got in their kicks did not augur well for many goals being scored, as the slightest tip of the ball made it roll far ahead of the forwards. Lennie was in his element, and along with O'Hagan gave Lee and Neal a lot of bother. It was the Irishman who was the means of the first goal being scored. He was likely to get sandwiched between Neal and Dainty, when he cleverly feinted to get through, and passed to Tom Murray, Crumley came out to intercept the shot which was too fast for the Dundonian, and Aberdeen were one up in less than twenty minutes from the start. The success was short-lived, as from a foul off Millar, Lee drove hard ahead. Fraser fastened on to the ball as it came along, and got it past Mutch rather neatly in the corner. It looked simple, but the ball entirely deceived the goalkeeper, who appeared prepared for it, but still was unable to keep it out. Before half-time, O'Hagan very cleverly scored a second goal with a shot Crumley had no chance with. It was Aberdeen's day out on resuming with the wind in their favour. Neal stayed inside the pavilion for repairs, and with one back the play was spoiled considerably by Dundee's adopting the play that paid them. The spectators showed a tendency to hostility towards the referee for his offside decisions, but he was invariably correct. From a fine corner kick taken by Bert Murray, Wilson scored a third goal for Aberdeen. Play quietened down after this, neither side exerting themselves to the same extent as in the first period. Several openings were made, but the forwards seemed unwilling to further enhance their reputations or otherwise, and Bert Murray having to retire hurt, the game finished with ten men aside, Aberdeen being worthy winners by 3-1.

The Players

What Crumley got to do he did well, and could not have saved any of the goals he let past. McEwan was the cup-holders' best back, his only fault being a weakness in tackling. Neal was never himself, and did not appear during the second half for some reason or other. Dainty was the star half on the field, both in defence and attack. Comrie ran him close for honours, but Lee was outjockeyed by the left wing, and did not relish it, having to resort to questionable tactics to keep his end up. Hunter worked hard in centre, and was the cup-holders' best forward, Fraser coming next, Langlands and Bellamy being seldom in the hunt at all. Munro who was on trial, could not be described as a success either at outside left or centre.
Mutch did not get a great deal to do, one high shot from Dainty being the most dangerous to negotiate. Colman was the better back, Hume being unsteady at the start, but pulled up as time wore on. Wilson and Millar tied for honours in the middle line, while Davidson has done better many a time, and did not shine against Dundee on Saturday. We got an idea of what the left wing can do, and the pity is they do not give us the same play every week; we would be pleased. They easily carried off the honours. Tom Murray and Bobby Simpson were good and bad by turns with Bert Murray doing nothing in particular but doing it very well. The first half was productive of some good play, but it fell away very much after the second period had gone a bit. Dundee were somewhat disappointed at the smallness of the gate, which was the lowest since the clubs met under League auspices.

Chatty Bits

Aberdeen left for their northern tour on Tuesday forenoon, when they played Forres on the same evening. On Wednesday they were at Inverness, and to-day (Thursday) they play Buckie.
It is rather doubtful if Bert Murray will be able to play this week, as he got a severe shake up in the Dundee match, and feels quite sore all over.
The latest from Pittodrie is that Colman and Hume have signed on for another term, and that others are expected to follow their example before Saturday. This will be good news, if true.
It is stated that Mutch intends to remain another season, and if the defence can be retained, Aberdeen need have little anxiety for the others. There is no doubt about it there will be several changes in the team next season, and we quite agree that "new blood" is urgently needed, especially in the scoring line.
The agreement between the Northern League and the Scottish League as to recognition of signed players closes the door to players shifting at their own sweet will if they do not get their terms.
If Aberdeen do not hurry up with signing on players, they will be unable to take part in the Charity ties. It has been decided to play for the Fleming Charity Shield in the close season, the first game taking place on Saturday week.
The final for the Dewar Shield will close the serious business for the season at Pittodrie, and we expect to see a rousing final.
Falkirk were anxious that the final should be played at Brockville Park, and so were Aberdeen eager to get a good fixture to wind up the season with.
It is doubtful if Nichol will be fit to play in the Dewar Shield final, and if he has not sufficiently recovered, Mackay will take his place.
Hannah is [not] expected to be fit, and it may be pointed out that this is the first game the popular right back has missed in three years.

Source: Bon-Accord, 28th April 1910

The return First Division Scottish League match between Dundee and Aberdeen at Pittodrie on Saturday brought out a very large attendance of spectators, who showed great enthusiasm from start to finish of the game. The Pittodrie players were naturally anxious to lower the colours of the Scottish Cup winners, who have never yet suffered defeat in aa League game at Pittodrie. The following teams lined out:- Aberdeen: Mutch; Colman, Hume; Davidson, Wilson, Millar; H. Murray, Simpson, T. Murray, O'Hagan, Lennie.
Dundee: Crumley; Neal, McEwan; Lee, Dainty, Comrie; Bellamy, Langlands, Hunter, Fraser, Munro (Inverness Caledonian).
Referee - Mr. W. Greive, Kirkcaldy.

The Scottish champions, who had an enthusiastic reception on making their exit from the pavilion, had the advantage of the wind. A long pass from McEwan was taken up by Munro, who sped towards Mutch, and his parting shot just went past. The Aberdeen left then gave Lee and Neal some saving to do., and in the attack the Dundee captain missed a try from T. Murray inside the penalty area. Crumley was just in time to make up for the error, and had to concede a corner in getting the ball away. Bellamy had a characteristic run, but the cross was blocked, and in a twinkling the Pittodrie forwards were at the other end, but Dainty proved of great value to his side with grand head work. A likely raid on Crumley was nullified through O'Hagan getting offside. Comrie had to receive his trainer's attention owing to injury, and shortly after he resumed the first point of the game fell to the "Wasps." O'Hagan it was who let T. Murray away. Lee fell in trying to stop the progress of the centre, who got close in on Crumley, who mad a valiant effort to stop Murray's parting shot. Me managed to strike it, but failed to get it away, and the ball lay in the net. Aberdeen's success was met with loud cheering. The Dens Park team tried hard to reduce the leeway, but it was evident the Scottish ties had taken too much out of them, and they were unfortunate too in running up against an untiring middle line, among whom none did better than Wilson. Any danger that did come from Dundee arose from the right wing. The equalizer came from Fraser, who headed a well-placed ball taken by Neal from a free kick against Millar. McEwan was, later, at fault in missing a bouncing ball in front of Crumley, but the latter got it safely up field, with Murray on his top. Nearing half-time O'Hagan by a splendid individual effort made Aberdeen's total two. The Irishman was not excelled as a leading-out man, and his second goal was worthy of his play.

Aberdeen's hopes were rosy on resuming, Dundee being a goal down and having to face the breeze. The cup-holders rearranged their forward line, Munro going centre, with Fraser in his accustomed place on the left, packed up by "Sailor" Hunter. The change worked for no good, as the Inverness player showed the occasion was too much for him, and the line never got into moving order. When they did get going, but passing was overdone. Fraser put in the best tries, but Mutch was seldom tested. Lennie had a splendid opportunity of adding to the score, but he skied the ball high over the bar. Dainty at one end and Simpson at the other tried their luck with the respective custodians without success. A third point here fell to Aberdeen. Murray forced a corner off McEwan, who was for from now onwards playing alone at back, Neal having left the field. The bowl was so accurately placed that Wilson had the satisfaction of sending the sphere into the net, making Aberdeen's total three goals. The game preceded on tame lines, neither of the teams exerting themselves, and when the whistle sounded the score stood - Aberdeen, 3 goals; Dundee, 1 goal.


Pittodrie enthusiasts proved the popularity of the Dundee team as cup-holders by giving the Tayside men a hearty welcome as they took the field, but perhaps the anticipations of the crowd in regard to the game were too great. At any rate, when the whistle sounded a cessation, there was keen disappointment on all hands with the afternoon's display, for it certainly was not the "Derby" that the Aberdeen following generally enjoyed on such an occasion. This, of course, was scarcely to be expected, in view of the strenuous struggle through which the visitors have recently passed, four on Saturday they were palpably a tired lot beyond exertion, and evidently indifferent on the matter of league points. Lee was lucky to commence with in securing a wind and sun advantage at the start, but from the opening movements it was apparent that Dundee were done up, and accordingly the Pittodrie eleven as a whole had only a stubborn, but none too steady defence to contend with. When the first point came it was only a fitting capping of the Aberdeen attack, which had come mainly through the left wing, where Millar kept his forwards pair well plied with the ball. It was really O'Hagan goal, but the honour fell to Tom Murray, who was presented with the ball and only Crumley before him. The keeper made a good effort to avert disaster, but the home pivot had too much room to work upon and made no mistake. Naturally drawing of the first blood rows to Dundee from their lethargic state, and Lee and Comrie really did well, but Bellamy was the only one of the fagged forwards who seemed to respond. Fraser's equaliser was a gift goal from a foul kick and at the interval it would have been hard on Aberdeen to be without a lead. O'Hagan saw to that, however, and scored brilliantly just before the whistle went.


To further weaken the fatigued Dundonians they had to turn out for the second period without Neal, who had been obviously lame, and as Aberdeen's strength was on the left, it provided an opening in the most vulnerable point. This was soon made Hannah fest, and had the locals taken full advantage of their opportunities - the finish was decidedly off the mark - and much heavier toll in the matter of goals would have been demanded of Crumley. With the exception of a few occasional efforts Dundee were lying down to the attack, and when Wilson got a third point for the homesters no one was surprised. Bert Murray left the field at this stage, suffering from an injury to his back, which probably accounted for the failure of the usually clever right wing. It would be scarcely fair to criticise the Dundonians after what they have come through, but their middle line is worthy of praise as the division that showed real stamina and fight. Lee and Comrie were strong in the tackle, and while dainty was perhaps weak here, he made up for the deficiency with some rare shooting. Bellamy was clever as a forward along with Fraser, who was out of his position, but the great Sailor Hunter did not seem to exert himself sufficiently to warrant close attention bestowed on him by Wilson. Neal was handicapped, and McEwan was decidedly off colour. Had the opposition been that usually provided by Dundee, Aberdeen's form would never have given them the victory. Mutch did a deal of good saving, for when the Taysiders did attack the generally did so to some purpose. Colman was not much in trouble, but his partner found Bellamy a big handful. Of the halves, Wilson was most prominent in the second half, and Millar was responsible for initiating most of the left wing rates, where O'Hagan sparkled. Tom Murray and Simpson and Bert Murray were not often seen to advantage, and there was a general lack of cohesion in the movement of the front line. On the whole, the result could not have been otherwise, but the circumstances were exceptional, and the least weak of two weak sides one.

There was an attendance of about 8000, representing drawings to the amount of £190.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 25th April 1910

Dundee Teamsheet
Crumley; Neal, McEwan; Lee, Dainty, Comrie; Bellamy, Langlands, Hunter, Fraser, Munro (Inverness Caledonian)
Attendance: 8,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. W. Greive, Kirkcaldy
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride