Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Queens Park 2 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Queens Park 1 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Queens Park scorers: Armour, McColl
Aberdeen scorers: Hume (Pen), Murray.

30/04/1910 | KO:

Before fully 5000 spectators, at Hampden. The home team were first to attack, forcing a succession of corners, from one of which Armour opened the scoring. Just after the resumption a penalty was given against Queen's Park, and Hume scored. The Queen's eventually got away, and McColl was steadying to shoot when he was brought down, and from the resulting penalty kick he failed to score, Mutch cleverly holding the ball. Aberdeen again became aggressive, and T. Murray scored from a pass by O'Hagan. Soon afterwards McColl equalised, and even play followed to the finish. Result :- Two goals each.

Source: The Scotsman, 28th April 1910

By gaining a point on Saturday at Hampden, Aberdeen finish fourth on the table, with 40 points, which is the highest they have totalled since they entered the League, five seasons ago. Without the extra point they got on Saturday, they would have retained their place, but their position and points show the club to have made more progress than several clubs who have had a longer experience of League play, and who have not the same journeys to undertake. They had to travel to their old friends and rivals Queen's Park, and a spanking game was served up, showing little signs of fag-end season's work. Both the clubs had been doing plenty of mid-week play, but still the finer points were observable all through the ninety minutes they occupied the arena. Queen's led at half-time by a goal, but Aberdeen ought to have equalised before crossing, Soye and O'Hagan both slipping at chances. Hume made the game level off a penalty, and Tom Murray took the lead, while McColl put his side on level terms, the game ending in a draw of 2 goals each. Had Aberdeen snapped all the chances when they had the aid of the wind, they should have secured full points. As it was, the Amateurs put up a good defence, Burnett having twice as much work to do as Mutch. Taken all over, Aberdeen were the nippier side in the open, but finished very poorly.

Source: Bon-Accord, 5th May 1910

A good deal of surprise has been expressed at the departure of Mutch from Aberdeen. Had "Cody?" gone to any club of repute in England, it would have occasioned little comment; but to go to Huddersfield - a club in the Midland League, where he will never be heard of - looks ridiculous for a player of Mutch's calibre. However, he has taken the plunge on his own, and Aberdeen lose a good keeper. Bobby Simpson has always had a hankering for English football, and those in the know were prepared for the news that if he got a suitable offer he would go. Aberdeen were anxious to keep him, but would not stand in his way, so that they part on good terms. Those signed up to date are:- Colman, Hume, Tom Murray, Soye, Arthur King, and Billy Hay. Others are expected during the course of the week, and at their meeting this week the directors had under consideration the applications from new players who were desirous of coming north. From a Glasgow source it is stated that Johnstone, the famous right-half of Glasgow Perthshire, may be seen in the ranks of Aberdeen next season, but on inquiry at Pittodrie it was learned they have done nothing in the matter as yet.

Chatty Bits

This week a number of charity games will be brought off.
At Pittodrie, Aberdeen are down to play the first round of the Fleming Charity Shield on Saturday against Banff.
Donald Colman leaves this month for a two months' holiday in the United States. This has been an ambition of Donald's for a considerable time now, and we wish him pleasure in the fulfilment of it.

Source: Bon-Accord, 5th May 1910

These teams played their final league match of the season at Hampden Park on Saturday. The weather was fine and the pitch fast. Teams:-

Queens Park: R. G. Burnett; R. R. Purcell, A. Richmond; W. McAndrew, A. F. Murray, J. Bryce; A. Armour, J. Bowie, C. D. Skene, R. S. McColl, J. Bennett.
Aberdeen: Mutch; Colman, Hume; Davidson, Wilson, Miller; H. Murray, Soye, T. Murray, O'Hagan, Lennie.
Referee - G. W. Hamilton, Motherwell.

T. Murray kicked off, but the Queen's, having the wind in their favour, attacked for several minutes. Shots of all descriptions were sent in towards Mutch, but he had only to deal with one from McColl, the ball from the others going either over the bar or past the uprights. Still attacking, the Queen's compelled the Aberdeen defence to play up to their best standard to prevent scoring. McColl endeavoured to get through single-handed, but Colman tackled him and cleared. The visitors gave away a corner, which was taken by Bennett, and after A. F. Murray had failed to score with a low, hard drive, Armour got the ball and completely beat Mutch with an oblique shot. Aberdeen smartly retaliated to the good play of their opponents. O'Hagan and Lennie bewildered the opposition, but failed at close quarters. A minute after O'Hagan received the ball when quite unmarked, yet he drove it against the far post in his anxiety to get the better of Burnett. The queen's responded with a clever run. A. F. Murray tried Mutch with a hot one, but the goalkeeper cleared without difficulty. Then T. Murray had an even better chance Bain O'Hagan, and yet he contrived to miss when with a touch he might have had Burnett beaten. A grand run by the visitors' forwards was well worth a goal. Each one of the front rank took part in the attack, Lennie winding up with a terrific drive and Burnett bringing off a superb save. The Queen's had to withstand another attack before they paid another visit too Mutch. Bowie endeavoured to get the better of the custodian, but he sent narrowly passed the post.

Early in the second half O'Hagan and Lennie outwitted McAndrew and Pursell. Richmond ran across to intercept the ball if possible just as O'Hagan let drive for goal. The ball struck the Queen's Park back and rebounded outside the penalty area. For 2 minutes Aberdeen's right wing attacked, and a penalty kick was given against Richmond. Hume took the kick and scored. The queen's played their hardest to make up for this misfortune, and McColl made a good bid for the leading point, but his shot was somewhat trickily stopped, and only a profitless corner resulted. The Queen's, after a run by the visitors, again took up the attack, and with the help of two free kicks against their opponents, kept the spectators in a state of expectancy. The Queen's attack for several minutes without cessation, but there was a lack of method at goalmouth. McColl from some range made an effort to score, and while he did not succeed, he showed the others how to drive for goal. Immediately after this, Hume gave away a penalty, which was taken by McColl amidst the cheers of the onlookers, who, however, we're very silent when Mutch saved the veteran's try. McColl equalised after clever individual work.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 2nd May 1910

Queens Park Teamsheet
R. G. Burnett; R. R. Purcell, A. Richmond; W. McAndrew, A. F. Murray, J. Bryce; A. Armour, J. Bowie, C. D. Skene, R. S. McColl, J. Bennett
Attendance: 7,000
Venue: Hampden Park, Glasgow
Referee: G. W. Hamilton, Motherwell
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride