Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 0 Motherwell

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Motherwell

Scottish Alliance League
Aberdeen scorers: Love, Smith, Cheyne, Love, Smith, Cheyne.

04/02/1928 | KO: 15:00

Towsy Tussle At Pittodrie

Potential champions of the Scottish Alliance and their challengers had a great duel at Pittodrie and from one of the most stirring games seen within the Merkland Road East enclosure, the home reserves emerged triumphant by three clear goals.
It was a real battle for the Alliance flag right enough, and Aberdeen "A" have now consolidated their position at the head of affairs by five points. The sides were fairly well balanced, but where the homesters had the advantage was in the middle line and in defence. The latter division of the Fir Park team had a gruelling afternoon, and did not exactly cover themselves with glory.
Smith had a field day. He toyed with the opposition at will, and made them look fair silly. After a great shot of his was saved by the keeper, Wilson returned the ball into the centre, and Love headed home. Then, in one of his cantrips down the wing, Smith scored a spectacular goal in the second half, and Cheyne with a straight volley from well out put the issue beyond doubt.
As a team, the young Dons added lustre to their name, although it must be remembered that five first team men were playing. Smith was the star performer, and his work earned for him an ovation from the big attendance. Muir was a hardy pivot, while I thought Cooper was the outstanding defender.

Source: Bon-Accord, 11th February, 1928

Although Aberdeen's half-reserve half-senior team checked Motherwell "A's" Alliance championship hopes at Pittodrie on Saturday by three goals to nothing, their victory was not so easily secured as the score would indicate. For fully three-quarters of the second half the Fir Parkers were in the ascendant, and only weakness attack baulked them of success.
Aberdeen frittered away many chances in the first half playing too close football. This policy did not pay against the rough-and-ready defensive work of the Motherwell team, and had the home men swung the ball more they would have been more than one goal the good at half-time. Love was the scorer of the point, and he got it with a header through being right on the spot where centre should be to meet a cross from the wing. Apart from that goal, however, Love was not a success as leader, and if his inclusion there was one of those "coming events which cast their shadows before," it did not achieve the desired result.
A change came over the game in the second half. The visiting halves, ably led by Arnott Craig, took firm grip of the game, and it was no fault of theirs that Tennant, in the centre-forward berth, was the only attacker to respond well to their efforts. They tried hard for the equaliser, and only McSevieh stood between them and the coveted point on several occasions. Gradually, however, Aberdeen got over their spell of "second fiddle" playing, and Smith won the match for them by his spectacular work on the left wing. He scored a lovely goal from a sharp angle, and, before the close, Cheyne, who had done little of note so far, redeemed himself with a fine scoring drive from thirty yards' range. About 8000 spectators watched the play which took place on a soft pitch and under damp and disagreeable overhead conditions. Mr W. Milne, Arbroath, was in charge of the game, and he had a pretty anxious time.

Source: Press & Journal, 6th February 1928

Motherwell Teamsheet
Gerrard; Livingston, Buyers; McNeil, Craig, Inglis; W. Tennant, Douglas, T. Tennant, Hutchison, Bone
Attendance: 8,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: W. Milne, Arbroath