Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Clyde 0 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Clyde 0 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)

01/10/1910 | KO:


Great interest centred in the meeting of these teams at Shawfield, Glasgow, as neither had been defeated in the League competition. There was an attendance of 10,000. Clyde had three changes from their usual eleven, Robertson, Morrison, and Chalmers being absent, and their places being filled by Blair, Collins, and Jackson, Kyle taking up the centre-forward position. To start with, Aberdeen had to face a stiffish breeze and a brilliant sun, and consequently for the most part they had to act on the defensive. The Clyde forwards kept play for a long time within 25 yards' range of King, but execrable shooting on their part, coupled with the really fine defensive tactics of Colman and Hume, kept the goalkeeper from being tested. Both Kyle and Jackson missed what should have been absolute certainties. Aberdeen had several breakaways, and from one of these Soye was within an ace of scoring. At the interval there was no scoring.
In the second portion, there was a sustained equality between the sides, neither team for long asserting superiority. Defensive work dominated the game, the respective attacking forces being strongly held, and both goalkeepers had an easy time of it. Result:- No scoring.

Source: The Scotsman, 3rd October 1910

The meeting of the Clyde and Aberdeen at Shawfield Park, Glasgow, on Saturday attracted fully 12,000 spectators. The weather, although somewhat oppressive, was nevertheless favourable for the game. The football, however, never reached a high standard, and the result - a draw - was quite in accordance with the quality of the play served up by both teams. The Clyde team was remodelled, consequent on the heavy revers sustained against the Rangers last Wednesday, but Aberdeen were represented by their usual eleven. Teams:-

Clyde: McTurk; Watson, Gilligan; Walker, Blair, Collins; Stirling, McCartney, Kyle, Jackson, Booth.
Aberdeen: King; Colman, Hume; Wilson, Wyllie, Millar; Soye, McIntosh, Murray, Travers, Lennie.
Referee - Mr. J. Rennie, Falkirk.

Clyde won the toss, and during the first half played with the wind and sun at their back. The Shawfield men were the first to become dangerous, Booth and Jackson leading off in the attack. The latter, however, sent the ball too far ahead, which ultimately went out of play. Returning to the attack, Kyle was just a moment too late in accepting a pass from the right, King rushing out and kicking clear ere the Clyde center could breach the ball. The game, so far, had proceeded very quietly, the players being apparently afraid to risk anything, with the result that a lot of aimless kicking was indulged in by both sides. Aberdeen's first break-a way came as the result of forcing play by Wyllie. Murray joined in the movement, and subsequently passed out to Lennie on the left. Making ground quickly, Lennie crossed right in front of McTurk, but none of the Aberdeen forwards were in a position to catch up the ball, which finally went behind. Aberdeen had now more of the game, and the first really good attempt at scoring came from McIntosh, whose hard drive along the ground was blocked by Gilligan. A corner followed, but the ball was sent behind. Slow and at times very uninteresting play was witnessed for fully a quarter of an hour. The Clyde, if anything, had more of the game, but even with all their superiority they rarely looked like scoring. Colman and Hume seldom allowed the ball to pass them, while even when the Clyde forwards got close to goal none of their forwards appeared capable of shooting with any degree of accuracy. McCartney had a comparatively easy chance, but he lost control of the ball near the upright, while a minute later Hume transfer to play to midfield with a strong punt. The defence of both sides, as a matter of fact, dominated the game, the forwards being very rarely in evidence. At times the play became painfully slow, so much so that the much was more like a friendly fixture and an important league engagement. Latterly the Clyde forwards came away strongly on the left wing. Booth and Jackson being conspicuous. Twice within 5 minutes Colman headed clear from almost under the bar, while a fast shot from Kyle almost took King by surprise, but the goalkeeper cleared splendidly with a crowd of players in close attendance. Following this pressure came another effort by the Clyde to get a goal, and they certainly ought to have scored. Quite close to the goalmouth Jackson got on the ball, and all that was required was a gentle tap in order to place the ball in the net. Jackson, however, let drive with great force, the result being that he sent the ball high over the bar. Two corners to the Clyde were beautifully placed by Booth, but Colman got the first away safely, while Wilson headed out the second. A fast grounder by Stirling was splendidly saved by king, and then Aberdeen enjoyed more of the game, mainly as the result of sound play by their half-backs. Travers forced the pace, but there was a lack of really good finishing on the part of the visiting forwards. McIntosh and Soye started a promising movement on the right, but the latter was too anxious to get rid of the ball and he had a clear course for goal. Instead of centring, he sent the leather in the direction of his own goal, and us a good chance was lost. McIntosh worked very hard for an opening, and got it, but McTurk easily cleared a low shot from the inside right. Play on the whole was only moderate, and the interval arrived with the teams on a level footing - no scoring.

At the opening of the second half the wind had increased in force, and with this advantage it was thought that Aberdeen would soon get on the lead. The Clyde, however, came away in promising fashion, Booth being noticeable for his forcing tactics on the left. However, he had always to reckon with Colman, whose play was ahead of any other back on the field. On one occasion Hume missed his kick, but quickly recovered while later on Stirling raced past the left back, only to be pulled up bay Colman, however, who sprinted right across the field and kicked the ball out of play. Lennie made a praiseworthy effort to get through, and appeared likely to succeed when he was fouled by Watson. Good work by Wilson, Wyllie, and Millar went for nothing through the weak play of the men in front. Somehow the Clyde backs had invariably plenty of time to get their kick in, Gilligan being specially good in his returns. Walker and Blair carried the play to the Aberdeen end of the field, and, but for the timely intervention of Wyllie the Clyde half-back would probably have scored. The Clyde front rank at this stage was altered, Kyle going to inside left, while Jackson dropped into the centre. The change worked for the better so far as the combined play was concerned, but the new centre last a couple of easy chances of scoring. The game for a time ruled very even, with Aberdeen gradually improving in the front rank, but their lack of shooting power was evident when the whole line swept down the field in a body, and got right into close proximity with McTurk, and yet none of the forwards attempted a shot for goal. Soye, however, sent across a high ball from the right, which McTurk got safely away, while Lennie and Travers also had tries for goal, but there was no sting behind the ball. McTurk almost let his side down on one occasion. Running out to clear his lines, the goalkeeper kicked the ball only a few yards down the field. Travers pounced on the ball and immediately returned it goalwards. The leather, however, rebounded off Blair, who had fallen back when he saw that McTurk had left his charge unprotected. It was a lucky escape, for the ball would certainly have gone into the net but for the resource shown by Blair. The Clyde made a strong rally in the last fifteen minutes, but the Aberdeen defence never faltered. Colman being noticeable for sound play. Wyllie, too, was frequently in evidence, and the centre-half saved his side on one occasion when he charged Stirling off the ball just when the right-winger was cutting into goal after beating Millar and Hume. Near the close Aberdeen almost scored, Murray, Travers, and Lennie having good tries, while McIntosh got the better of the defence in a rush for goal, but the ball bounced up and struck the inside-right on the arm. There was no scoring on either side, however, and the game ended - Aberdeen, 0; Clyde, 0.

Aberdeen and Clyde, therefore, are still the only unbeaten teams in the league. Saturday's game was value for no more than a draw, and, on the whole, was a disappointing match. The estimated gate was £260.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 3rd October 1910

An ideal day favoured Aberdeen's visit to Glasgow on Saturday. The sun was a trifle strong, but in view of the importance of the event the crowd were slow in turning up. For some reason or other Chambers and Robertson were relegated to the Reserve team, and were at Pittodrie, Kyle taking the centre-forward position for the day at Shawfield. We say Kyle was in the centre for the day for the reason that his display on Saturday did not impress us as being good enough for him to keep it permanently. Aberdeen played their usual eleven, who had a good reception when they took the field.

Play started briskly, but there was really nothing to enthuse over for some time. The Aberdeen front line being bothered with the sun in their eyes, found difficulty in getting the ball. King had a stinger from Stirling to hold, which he cleverly punted away with several in close attendance. The attack on both sides lacked sting, and the play throughout was pretty much a series of attacks and counter attacks, which the backs or halves checked before any real danger occurred. Combination was often displayed in midfield, but it was never allowed to go further. Defence, and not offence, imbued both sides so much that the play in the first period became very listless, and we were glad when breathing time came.

So little had been done in the opening part that we had hopes of witnessing something stirring in the closing stage. Not so, however, more care seemed to be taken that the forwards could not score, although there was a few creditable attempts, notably by Travers and Macintosh. If anything, Aberdeen were more prominent in this half, and gave the defence a few anxious moments, still we could not say they were playing the game as it should have been, but in this they were only copying their opponents and making good use of their lessons. Before this period was half through we were convinced, somehow, that there was to be no scoring, and this proved to be true - neither side having scored at the end of the ninety minutes.


McTurk kept a splendid goal, and might have heen beaten by Travers, but the other shots that came his way he cleared with absolute care. The backs, as we all know, are a sturdy pair, full of fight to the finish. It was in the middle line that the best work was done. The three - Walker, Blair, and Collins - put in a tremendous amount of work of a telling kind. When not tackling they were busy defending, and, they were without doubt the best part of the team. Stirling took the eye most in the front line. Kyle was anxious to try on his fancy work, but Wyllie was having none, and bottled him up before he got into his swing.

King kept a splendid goal for Aberdeen, and has now demonstrated that he can be trusted to do his part when the others are beaten. Colman had the best pair to contend with, and so was more in the picture than Hume, though there was little between them. The halves were out for a great day, and kept moving all the time, though they were too intent watching their opponents to be of great service to their own forwards. They had a day off, as far as feeding was concerned, but they held their own with their opponents. In the front line the extreme wing men did little, while the wide men foraged for the ball and got through on their own, but they lacked finish somewhere. It would be a pity if they have shot their bolt already, but they must needs improve greatly on Saturday's display if they want to remain longer undefeated.


The game at Shawfield was the most uninteresting, so far as forward play was concerned, we have seen Aberdeen serve up.
Donald Colman has got a great name in the south, and he enhanced his reputation a bit further on Saturday.
It was a perfect treat to watch the right back's play. It was the feature of the game.
Coming events cast their shadows before Jock Hume was captain at Dundee on Saturday.
Hume felt the responsibility very much, but the win compensated for the onerous duties performed.
The Aberdeen forwards left their shooting boots a Pittodrie on Saturday with the Reserve team. They returned for them on Monday.
The local press worked up a strong agitation against the Robertson Cup tie at Dens Park on Monday.
It had the effect of diminishing the drawing powers of these famous rivals - Dundee and Aberdeen.
Motherwell have no reserve team this year, and the consequence is that Aberdeen A were without is fixture at the beginning of the week.
We note "Bobby" Simpson was not in the Bradford team on Saturday - we hear, through an accident.
An incident occurred at the Clyde v Aberdeen match that may be heard of again, which was the soaking of the ball in water at half-time.
In the first half the ball was new and flighty and handicapped Aberdeen somewhat. It is said the referee gave permission to soak it to deaden its flight.
The referee had no power to do this, and it is only right that attention should be called to it.

Source: Bon-Accord, 6th October 1910

Clyde Teamsheet
McTurk; Watson, Gilligan; Walker, Blair, Collins; Stirling, McCartney, Kyle, Jackson, Booth
Aberdeen Teamsheet
King, Colman, Hume, Wilson, Wyllie, Millar, Soye, McIntosh, Murray, Travers, Lennie.
Attendance: 12,000
Venue: Shawfield Stadium, Glasgow
Referee: Mr. J. Rennie, Falkirk