Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 0 Motherwell

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 0 Motherwell

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Lennie, Soye, Murray.

08/10/1910 | KO:


Seven thousand spectators witnessed the League game at Pittodrie Park, Aberdeen. The play was very one-sided, the home team being masters of the situation throughout. After twelve minutes' play, Lennie raced past the right back, and finally beat the keeper with a low, fast drive. Ten minutes later, Soye got away on the right, and tricking the left half and back, ran right into the centre of the field, keeping the ball well under control. The winger eventually closed in on the goalkeeper, but the latter was unable to save his charge, which thus fell for a second time. Crossing over with a two goal lead, Aberdeen maintained their superiority to the end, Murray scoring a third goal. Motherwell rallied near the close, but they were never really dangerous. Result:- Aberdeen, three; Motherwell, nothing.

Source: The Scotsman, 10th October 1910

The two points secured against Motherwell at Pittodrie on Saturday placed Aberdeen in the leading position in the Scottish League competition. The visitors gave a surprisingly poor exhibition, and were defeated by 3-0, the issue never having been in doubt from the start to the finish. Ideal weather favoured the game, which was witnessed by a crowd of 9000. Teams:-

Aberdeen: King; Colman, Hume; Wilson, Wyllie, Millar; Soye, McIntosh, Murray, Travers, Lennie.
Motherwell: Hampton; Wilson, Kelly; McConnell, McNeil, Nicol; Johnston, Robertson, Brand, Gray, Tennant.
Referee - Mr. J. Lyon, Hamilton.

Aberdeen commenced operations facing a blinding sun, but at once invaded, Wilson having to punt clear for Motherwell. Johnstone, for the visitors, had a brief attack, but fine combination between Soye and McIntosh carried the game up to Hampton's end. Nicol and Kelly were completely wandered, and Soye finished with a rattling shot. The next effort came from the left, when Lennie dashed in a rare drive which just missed the corner of the net. Great work by the local mid-line, and equally good manoeuvring by the front line, kept Motherwell continually on the move in defence. It was pretty football that Aberdeen played, and the beauty of the attack was that it came from both wings, the men moving and passing with clockwork precision. For a time the right wing, well supplied by Wilson, was brilliant, and Soye in shooting was dead on the mark. Tom Murray was ever on the move, and then Lennie began to show his old form, much to the delight of the crowd. He wandered Wilson entirely, and got in some grand crosses, from one of which Murray would have found the net had he not been blinded by the strong sun. To make matters worse for Motherwell, the home halves began to pot at goal. George Wilson delivered a terrible ball t Hampton from far out, and the keeper had to handle twice before he got rid of it. At the other end, Brand headed over, and from the goal kick McIntosh and Soye flashed up the wing. The inside man carried the ball close in and passed out to Lennie, who drove hard, his shot landing the ball in the side net. The crowd was quite confident, and in no hurry for the opening point, which was bound to come to Aberdeen. It soon came, and it was a fitting termination to one of Lennie's finest solo efforts. The little man did it all himself. Slipping McConnell, he left Wilson standing, and cut into the centre, finishing with a swift, low drive, which Hampton never saw till the ball was in the net.
It was not to be wondered at that Motherwell lost their heads against such dazzling work. Back came Aberdeen once more and repeated tries were made. Tom Murray, with both backs in attendance, almost got a goal. Lennie was in his element, and Wilson had a particularly bad time of it. The winger gave Travers an opening, and the shot from the latter shook the cross bar. Aberdeen's second point came as the result of brilliant work by Soye. Single handed, the right winger circumvented the halves and backs, and dashed into the centre. From this position he had a clear passage in front of him, and he dashed in a high ball which found the mark, shooting in under the bar and out of Hampton's reach. The two goals were the cleverest seen at Pittodrie for a long time. It was all the homesters' game now, and the crowd ceased to regard the Motherwell efforts as serious. Brand had a raking try for goal, but the right wing once more changed the venue, and a fine centre by Soye was headed past by McIntosh. At this early period of the game, the visitors sought relief by kicking into touch. Their halves tried to steady matters, and for a brief spell the whole side worked more effectively. Following a run by Johnstone, McIntosh came hammering down the centre, but over reaching himself in shooting, his effort was weak and wide of the mark. A second later Soye dashed in a rare shot, which shook the uprights. After a fierce bombardment the Motherwell right wing showed pretty work. Johnstone sent across to Tennant, but the left winger did not catch the pass and a behind resulted. Hampton did a lot of good work for his side, and but for him the 2 goal lead at half-time might have been greater. Gray had had to retire in consequence of an old injury becoming troublesome, and was unable to resume.

Although playing with only ten men the visitors were slightly improved in the second period, but at no time were they like scoring. Brand had a dangerous raid. Both of the home wings were worrying, but the first effective shot came from Tom Murray, who tested Hampton while on the run. Soye was always in the picture, running with great speed, and dodging and shooting with accuracy. He gave the visiting keeper a tremendous shot to hold, and McIntosh did the same a second later. King had difficulty in handling a long pot from Brand, but he had plenty of time to judge it. The period had not been long in progress before a third point came to the locals through Tom Murray, who drove from close in after getting the ball from the right. The local pivot had a series of tries, and then the visitors worked up and got their first corner. Johnstone placed nicely, but Wyllie was on the ball and cleared. Motherwell were showing more fight now, and deserve credit for their game, considering that they were without Gray. Hampton was the saviour of his side time and again. McConnell had a fine long drive at King, but from the clearance Lennie made off. Wilson was lucky to stop the little man, but it was only a temporary relief, for Hampton was constantly picking up and clearing. One of his cleverest returns was from a rocket shot by Wilson, but it was only one of many. The visitors were not lacking in pluck, but it was a hopeless contest. Aberdeen were all over the defence. It was a repetition of the first period, and just on the call of time Murray got a goal. Lennie and McIntosh were responsible for making the opening, but an offside ruling was given, and the point disallowed.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 10th October 1910

Viewing the game on Saturday at. Pittodrie, one might be apt to carry away the impression that Motherwell had a very poor team with them on this journey. For the first time at home this season the local eleven gave of their best, and showed that the high praise they had earned for their away games was justified.

The weather was ideal on Saturday, a trifle warm, perhaps, with just a cooling breeze to allay the heat caused by the play. Aberdeen had the disadvantage of the strong sun in their faces, but once they got going, under Mr Lyons - of Hamilton, and a crowd of some 8000 spectators, this did not seam to trouble them much.
Right away Aberdeen seemed to be out for goals, the front line moving with a smoothness that quite bewildered the opposing defence. Even before the score opened the crowd were delighted with the football that was being served up. Soye and Macintosh were 'specially prominent for neat work for a time, and, perforce, the left wing came into the picture too. We had an exhibition of passing out to the wing by "Paddy" Travers that the Irish Internationalists could not have excelled. It was a timely and accurate shot out to the wing which Lennie trapped, and worming past the half and full back, he gave Hampton no earthly chance with a trimmer along the ground to the far corner of the net.
This was some encouragement, and the succeeding events which led to Soye scoring deserved the reward, for Hampton was tested to some tune before he was beaten by a shot that went high into the net with terrific force. What a bombardment took place after this, half backs as well as the forwards making the crossbar and uprights "dirl" with shots that Hampton would have had no chance with.
The breather came with Aberdeen leading by 2-0, Motherwell being thankful of, the respite, for they had got a gruelling during the first half.

On resuming, play opened a bit for a short time, and we saw Motherwell's pace and footwork to better advantage. The visitors seldom got near as to be really dangerous, and though King got to clear once or twice there was nothing very troublesome in the shots he dealt with. To Show that they were not done with, and after toying a lot with the halves, Aberdeen came away in fine style, Tom Murray shooting a very clever goal. It was no fault of Macintosh and Travers that they did not score, each having a good try, but they were just a trifle off the target.
As the finish was fast approaching a clever bit of work by Lennie landed in Tom Murray sending into the net but the referee disallowed, for some reason best known to himself, but it was as good a goal at ever we saw scored. Aberdeen were worthy winners by 3-0.


Hampton, the old Breohin City player, is a good goalkeeper, and could not be blamed for anything that he let through on Saturday. The whole team were demoralised by the brilliancy of the home forwards. Wilson was the better of the two backs, and McNeil had the advantage in the middle line. Unfortunately for the effectiveness of the attack, Gray had to retire suffering from an old injury. Of them we saw little that impressed us, but we thought Brand a good centre, the others only being fair.
On the Aberdeen side nothing but praise can be showered on the front line. It was positively brilliant during the first twenty minutes, and we are sure nothing finer has been seen on Pittodrie for many a day. The whole team worked well, and it would be unfair to give undue prominence to one more than another. The halves were also good, though Millar gave the best exhibition he has yet done. Colman, Hume, and King, did not get a lot to do, but what was their share was very well done.


The "gate" on Saturday at Pittodrie was a record for Motherwell. We believe it reached £200.
It was generally conceded that better football than that served up ou Saturday has not been witnessed for a few seasons.
All the _players seem to be in excellent fettle just now, every man being in the pink of condition.
Their progress, in the League this season has been unprecedented, and this is shown by the increased drawings at the hgate.
Aberdeen top the League table again,and they can keep there for a while if they win on Saturday.
They earned high opinions from their opponents for their fine play on Saturday.
A Motherwell official was heard to remark that he had not seen finer football in any ground for many a long day.
It was said, prior to Saturday, that Donald Colman usually played a poor game against his old club. This could not be urged against him on this occasion.
Aliordeen A had a day off last Saturday, and enjoyed spectating at Pittodrie, where they encouraged on their seniors.
Bobby Simpson was again in the Bradford team last week, but he did not get a goal, his team being beaten by 1-0.
Great is the praise bestowed on Mutch for his brilliant work against Derby County. He was out to keep his record intact, and Huddersfield would have gone down badly but for his saving powers.
Though Wilfrid Low got badly injured the previous week, he was able to take up his place on Saturday against Notts County, and see his side win by 2-0.
Chalmers, who has figured for Clyde at centre forward, and was relegated to the A Team, has parted company with the Shawfield brigade, and gone to Woolwich Arsenal.
Aberdeen University got a big walloping at Inverness, when the Caley put up a score of 8 goals to 2.
At a meeting of the Aberdeenshire and District Football Association, the draws for the first round of the cup competition were made as follows: North Districts - Buckie Thistle v. Maccluff, University v. Huntly, Turriff v. Harp, and Portsoy v. Banff. Strathlene a bye.
Buchan district - Fraserburgh v. Ellon, Peterhead v Fraserburgh Town, and Maud v. Peterhead Hibs.
Aberdeen were granted exemption from the first two rounds.
There will be some stirring ties in this competition, and Fraserburgh are hot favourites for the final. Harp have a stiff hurdle to get over at Turriff.
Aberdeen's League team leaves for Kilmarnock on Friday afternoon, staying in Glasgow overnight, and going on ot Rugby Park on Saturday forenoon.

Source: Bon-Accord, 13th December 1910

Aberdeen Teamsheet
King, Colman, Hume, Wilson, Wyllie, Millar, Soye, McIntosh, Murray, Travers, Lennie.
Motherwell Teamsheet
Hampton; Wilson, Kelly; McConnell, McNeil, Nicol; Johnston, Robertson, Brand, Gray, Tennant
Attendance: 9,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. J. Lyon, Hamilton
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead