Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Partick Thistle 1 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Partick Thistle 0 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Partick Thistle scorers: Gardiner

29/10/1910 | KO:


At Firhill, Glasgow, before 20,000 spectators. Although facing a fairly strong wind to begin with, the Thistle attacked determinedly, and it took Colman and Hume a long time to shake them off before Aberdeen in any way asserted themselves. During that time King's charge was repeatedly threatened,, and the crossbar saved it from falling from a fine shot by Wilson. When Aberdeen did get a grip of the game they played well in the open, but their shooting was not deadly, and Campbell had no difficulty in disposing of any shots he got to hold. Just before the interval Millar, the Aberdeen left half, was carried off injured. At half-time there was no scoring. Aberdeen had to play the second portion with ten men, and against the wind they had the worst of the argument, but the defence was in fine form, and effected some timely clearances. The Thistle wer having all the play, and a goal seemed probable any minute. Several corners fell to the Firhillers, but these were successfully cleared. Ultimately Callaghan got clear away on the right , and centring finely, Gardner headed past King. On play the point was quite deserved, and until the finish the Thistle were masters of the game, and it was only the superb play of Colman which prevented the "Dons" goal from further downfall. A splendidly contested game ended:- Partick Thistle, one; Aberdeen, nothing.

Source: The Scotsman, 31st October 1910

A crowd estimated to have fully 20,000 people witnessed the league game between Partick Thistle and Aberdeen and Firhill Park, Glasgow, on Saturday. The teams were as follows:-

Partick Thistle: Campbell; McKenzie, Bulloch; Wilson, Raisbeck, McDonald; Callaghan, King, Elmore, Gardner, Branscombe.
Aberdeen: King; Colman, Hume; Wilson, Wyllie, Millar; Soye, McIntosh, Murray, Travers, Lennie.
Referee - J. S. Muir, Crosshill.

Aberdeen played with a slight breeze in their favour in the first half. The opening passages were very keen, no time being lost on either side to make headway as early as possible. The first note were the feature was some clever work by Wyllie, who twice pulled up the Thistle inside forwards, and finally slipped the ball ahead to Travers, who in turn gave it to Lennie. The winger raced off in the direction of the Partick goal, but failed to improve on a comparatively easy opening. Brisk tackling by the half-backs and strong, accurate kicking by the backs on both sides prevented the respective front ranks from indulging in any fancy play, with the result that wide-passing movements characterised the aggressive work of both sets of forwards. A quick pass and follow up by Elmore brought the play to Aberdeen's end of the field, but Wyllie, running back, managed to clear with a strong kick ere the Thistle forwards were able to profit by their breakaway. The pace was exceptionally fast, first one side and then the other pressing with tremendous vigour, but sterling back play kept the game very open, and for a time neither team could claim any advantage. A lovely cross from Branscombe was kicked clear by Colman just as Elmore was rushing goalward, with the evident intention of catching up the left-winger's pass across a goalmouth. Aberdeen, however, almost got on the lead next minute, but McIntosh failed to clinch matters after capital played by Wyllie and Soye. This incident was followed by a spirited attack by the Thistle right wing, splendidly supported by Wilson. The latter was entrusted with a free-kick 30 yards from the Aberdeen goal. He took a long random shot, ball going straight for a goal, but, luckily for Aberdeen, the leather struck the crossbar, rebounded into play, and was eventually cleared by Colman. Away went Aberdeen to the other end, Lennie, Travers, and Murray joining in the movement. The first-named crossed to Soye, who tested Campbell at close quarters, but the latter cleared confidently. The fast nature of the game and the importance of the occasion kept the crowd intensely interested, and every bit of clever play was cheered to the echo. Indeed, the enthusiasm was nothing short of extraordinary, the home spectators cheering on their favourites with encouraging shouts from all parts of the field. Hard pressure at the Thistle goalmouth brought out the strong defensive qualities of Raisbeck, whose headwork was particularly good. Regular bombardment ensued, but Campbell and his backs withstood the pressure in rare style, and ultimately Bulloch and Raisbeck got the ball away between them. A pass out to Callaghan from King enabled the first-named to get away at a rapid pace. He got round Hume, but the back recovered splendidly, and once more play was transferred to the Partick end of the field. The visiting forwards kept the ball swinging from wing to wing, and on one occasion the front rank got right in on Campbell. The goalkeeper cleared in a scrimmage, and then the ball came out to Travers, who shot wide of the posts when favourably placed. Good work by Miller and Murray led up to another attack, but McIntosh twice failed to shoot accurately at close quarters. Wilson, however, had a good try, while later on Travers almost scored with a terrific shot, which Campbell dealt with in masterly style near the upright. This was followed by a thrilling run on the part of Callaghan, who sent across the high centre. The other forwards closed in on King, who made two marvellous saves from Gardiner and Branscombe - indeed, the goalkeeper's clearance was one of the tit-bits of the first half. Close on the interval Aberdeen applied pressure on the Thistle goal to such an extent that Raisbeck and the other half-backs were seen practically under the crossbar assisting Campbell and his backs. Raisbeck was always prominent in the defence, while Bulloch kicked strongly from almost any position. A dashing movement by McIntosh and Soye aroused great enthusiasm, the latter finishing with a fast drive which just missed scoring. Just on half-time, Millar got kicked on the ankle, and had to leave the field.

Aberdeen were without the services of Millar during the second half, travers being utilised in the middle division when the Thistle were pressing, while he assisted the forwards when play happened to be in progress near the Thistle goal. Soon after the restart, King wrote off a couple of clearances from Elmore and Wilson. Both were long shots and easily got rid of. A dangerous cross from Callaghan, however, looked promising for the Thistle, but Colman headed away the ball, and followed this up with a strong kick down the field. Lennie was next prominent in the grade two was the Partick goal. The ball was returned to midfield, where it was caught up by Wyllie. The centre-half broke away, and finally got clear of all opposition, but just when he had got past the backs, Bulloch wheeled round and tripped the Aberdeen player. The free-kick was easily cleared, and then followed a long spell of pressure on the Aberdeen goal. Repeatedly the Thistle forwards swept down the field in a body, only to be met by a most determined and resource full defence. Raisbeck and Wilson back up the Partick forwards in spirited fashion, but Coleman and Hume defended stubbornly. Branscombe and Gardiner were particularly aggressive, but Wilson and Colman were quite equal to their task. Then the Partick players directed their efforts on the right wing, where Callaghan was greatly in evidence, due in great part to the absence of Millar. The ball was centred on one occasion right in front of King. A regular scrimmage ensued, and ultimately Gardiner got possession, but he made a bad miss when he sent the ball softly past the outside of the posts when within a couple of yards of King. Two corners and a free-kick in quick succession brought no tangible benefit to the thistle, while a long shot from Callaghan struck the inside of the far post, the ball being ultimately cleared by King. Lennie, Soye, and Murray occasionally broke away, but as a rule the pressure at the Partick goal mouth was of a brief nature. The game showed no signs of slowing down. Wyllie and Wilson tried hard to force matters for Aberdeen, but the absence of Millar upset the combination of the Pittodrie team as a whole, and for the most part the match was fought out in the vicinity of the visitors' goal. Twice the Thistle made strong claims for a penalty, but the referee ruled otherwise, although on one occasion a free-kick was granted the home team close on the penalty line. Elmore fastened on the ball, and, after forcing his way past the backs, succeeded in netting the leather, but the referee's whistle had just previously sounded for a foul against one of the home players. Thirteen minutes from the finish Callaghan sent across a high centre from the right. The ball finally came to Gardiner, who promptly beat King with a header. Aberdeen made a great rally, Lennie, Soye, and McIntosh joined in a most determined attack. The last name, however, was wrongfully pulled up for offside when in a good position for scoring.

The gate was estimated at slightly over £390.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 31st October 1910

The game which led to Aberdeen's deposition from League leaders will long be rementbered as one of the most thrilling which has taken place this season. Up to a certain point, we were confident Aberdeen would emerge with a point if not two, but, the want of their full team during the whole of the second period lead to their downfall. They have to give up top place for a time, but we think that they were doubly unfortunate to lose on Saturday, for the loss of such a player as Millar was a serious handicap to the side, and one which affected the play of the front rank consideribly.

To begin with, Firhi11 Park is not the fine green sward they have been accustomed to play on, neither did the ball travel so truly that they could pick it up with the same precision as on a well-rolled pitch. These things aside, however, little fault could be found with their play all over, and they deserve great praise for the game manner in which they stuck to their opponents in the chasing stage, and prevented a score being put against them, as many teams vould have done in similar circumstances.
To begin with, the teams were out at frill strength, both imbued with the main idea that the points would belong to them ere the finish. That Aberdeen have become an attractive power in Glasgow football was testified by the large crowd that witnessed the match. Strong opposition was to be found in the Celtic-Rangers and Queen's-Third Lanark games, where hitherto the crowd wbuld have went, and left the northerners severely alone. That a good thing was on they knew; and few went away disappointed, except those rabid partisans who expected Aberdeen to win at any price.
Aberdeen were early prothinent with good combination, but Tom Murray found Raisbeck in one of his best moods, so so that he could get little room to shoot. The first really dangerous shot came from Macintosh, whose parting effort was in itself virile enough had Campbell not been on the spot and got the ball away before Murray ran in. An oblique shot from Soye and another from Lennie, were worthy counting points had not the defence been sound. Danger for some time was experinced at the other end, where King brought off a great save, and with the aid of Colman and Hume, the Aberdeen goal was relieved from oressure for a considerable period. Till towards the close of the first half the Thistle forwards were seldom in the picture, they were so effectively held by the visiting halves. It was just on time when Millar got one of the tendons of his thigh burst in colliision with King, who had been using his weight for a considerable time. Millar off, the pace toned down, till the whistle blew.

The second period was characterised, by a dour determination on the part of the Aberdeen. rush after rush, shots of all kinds came pouring in for a time, and the defence stood out to it like one man. It was indeed thrilling at times, and we wondered if they could hold out till the finisih. The forwards made up for it by breaking away, but in their excitement they lacked sting in their shooting, and little wonder. Ten minutes from time, Gardiner got his head on a lovely cross, and landed it in the net entirely out of King's reach. It was a good goal, well worked for, and well taken. Next we saw another of Aberdeen's rallies, and with Millar there, they would have scored, but time did not permit them to get that length.


Beaten, but not disgraced, aptly describes the situation as it appeared to us at, Firhill Park on Saturday. It is the opinion of everyone on the Aberdeen side that if they had been able to keep their team intact they would at least have come away with a point. Millar's unfortunat accident came at a bad time, and entirely upset the whole campaign. It was a perfect treat to watch the ten men battle against eleven, and this they did most successfully till one bad slip let their opponents score the only goal of the match.
Plenty teams would have gone to pieces after this, but the present Aberdeen team are not built that way. They came again, and were as near equalising the score as could be, and the pity is they did not do so, for they deserved to score for their pluck alone.

In dealing, with the players it would be difficult to give greater praise to one more than another, but we think Colman and Hume showed not only fine judgment, but their clearing was almost perfect. King was as good in goal as any goalkeeper that ever wore the Aberdeen colours. Millar was best in the middle line till he was hurt, with Wyllie and Wilson not much behind. The forwards were a trifle excited in the first half, and missed their opportunity then. Had they scored in the first twenty minutes they were winning easily. Like heroes they fought hard against the odds in the second period, and were better balanced then than in the first.
The Thistle have a fine heavy, bustling team, Raisbeck towering above them all with fine headwork and splendid breaking-up tactics. Elmore and Gardiner took our fancy forward, with Campbell and the backs in defence. We do not now wonder at their position in the tables, for they are a splondid side, and will keep their place against the best. They are sure of a great reception when they come to Pittodrie.


The only consolation which Aberdeen brought from Glasgow was the share of a big gate - the half of £393.
They have lost the services of Millar, who is one of the best halves in this line. He will be off for at least one week.
At no time did Aberdeen seem to be down-hearted, for they pegged in all the time when the odds were against them.
If any man earned the highest praise for his play it was Donald Colman, who was the best back on the field.
The general remarks at the finish were of sympathy with Aberdeen in their misfortune, for it was regarded by all that a draw would only have been fair in the circumstances.
Sympathy will be extended to Millar in his enforced absence, and all wish him a speedy recovery.
On Wednesday night, in the County Hotel, Mr and Mrs James Philip entertained a select company of their friends on the occasion of the celebration of their silver wedding. Good wishes mere extended to the couple, who were the recipients of many handsome presents.
In the inter-League game at London last week, the Scottish team were defeated by 1-0 by the Southern League, after a splendid game.
It was admitted that an exceptionally strong team on paper was sent to London, and a weaker team was selected to go to Ireland and meet the select of the Irish League.
Scotland beat Ireland by 3-1 at Belfast on Monday. Colman was in evidence all through the game for some splendid work, and we think the authorities are now beginning to realise what we have all along said that he is as good a right back as there is at present.
Lennie did not show up so well in the first half but latterly got into his stride, and put in some telling work.
During this month and next the start of all League games will be regulated by the light, and early kick-offs will be the rule.
In the first round of the Aberdeenshire Cup on Saturday, the result of the tie between Peterhead Hibs and Maud was a draw of three goals each.
St Bernards have at last shaken off the Forfar loons in the QualifyinIg ties by 3-0. This was the third game, and the Forfarians put up a great fight.
Arthur Murray, the popular centre-half of Queen's Park, and an Aberdeen graduate, was married last Friday to a Forfar lady.

Source: Bon-Accord, 3rd November 1910

Partick Thistle Teamsheet
Campbell; McKenzie, Bulloch; Wilson, Raisbeck, McDonald; Callaghan, King, Elmore, Gardner, Branscombe
Aberdeen Teamsheet
King, Colman, Hume, Wilson, Wyllie, Millar, Soye, McIntosh, Murray, Travers, Lennie.
Attendance: 20,000
Venue: Firhill, Glasgow
Referee: Mr. J. S. Muir, Crosshill