Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Hibernian 2 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Hibernian 1 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Hibernian scorers: Anderson, Paterson
Aberdeen scorers: McIntosh.

10/12/1910 | KO:


At Easter Road, Edinburgh, before about 6000 spectators. The game was a splendid one, and both sides from start to finish went at it hammer and tongs. The Hibernians opened well, and in the first minute D. Anderson scored from a forward pass by Girdwood. The visitors' forwards were moving well, and Neilson, the substitute for Lennie, had some fine runs. A shot by him was fisted out by Allan, and McIntosh, getting hold, put his side on level terms. In the second half play was quite as keen, the respective forwards in turn attacking in spirited fashion. With twenty minutes of this portion gone Paterson scored a splendid goal for the Hibernians. After this Aberdeen had if anything, the better of the exchanges, and Allan had to save from Soye and McIntosh. The Hibernian defence played splendidly when the visitors put on the pressure, and the Irishmen ran out worthy winners. Result:- Hibernians, two goals; Aberdeen, one goal.

Source: The Scotsman, 12th December 1910

The Aberdeen team visited Edinburgh on Saturday, and met the Hibernians at Easter Road Park in a league engagement. The weather was favourable for the game, which was witnessed by fully 7000 spectators. The teams were:-

Hibernians: W. Allan; Birrell, S. Allan; O'Hara, Girdwood, Lamb; D. Anderson, Rae , Paterson, Callaghan, Smith.
Aberdeen: King; Colman, Hume; Wilson, Wyllie, Millar; Soye, Murray, McIntosh, Travers, Neilson.
Referee - Mr. Jackson, Glasgow.

In the first half the Hibernians played with the incline in their favor, while they had also the benefit of a slight breeze. Opening out in promising style, the Edinburgh forwards almost from the start had the Aberdeen defence in difficulties. Callaghan and Smith raced away on the left, and the ball was subsequently crossed to the centre. Anderson, inside right, caught up the pass, and in the easiest possible fashion slipped through beating the backs, and then let drive for goal. The shot was straight, but there was no sting behind the ball however, king failed to stop rich progress, and the home team were a goal up within 2 minutes played. The Hibernians were all over Aberdeen for a time, and a second goal would undoubtedly have been scored, had Anderson steadied himself instead of shooting wildly past when within a yard of goal. Coleman and Hume were hard pressed, but they were now fairly on their metal, and this was evident when both backs repelled spirited attacks by Callaghan, Anderson, and Paterson. So far, the Aberdeen front rank had not crossed midfield, although Murray and Soye started a combined movement on the right, only to be checked by Lamb, who twice sent in by shots from the left, which were cleared by Hume. Birrell, too, tried a long shot from near midfield, but the ball went past the outside of the upright. A terrific shot from Callaghan was finely saved by King, and this was followed by a pretty movement on the part of the visiting forwards. The Hibernians' defense appeared to waver for a few minutes, and Murray was left with practically an open goal, but his shot went past the upright. Aberdeen had no more of the game, Miller, Travers, and Neilson all showing two advantage, but splendid back play by Birrell and S. Allan kept the Aberdeen forwards out. A cross from Neilson looked promising for Aberdeen, but, before the inside forwards could catch up the ball, W. Allan rushed out and cleared. The ball, however, was soon returned, and during a scramble in front of goal McIntosh eventually got his foot on the ball and scored an easy goal. On level terms again, the game was fought out by both teams in spirited style. There were few dull moments, and all over the football was fast to a degree. Aberdeen were perhaps the more methodical side, the football being weak and perhaps the prettier to watch, but the Hibernians' dashing style was better suited to the heavy ground. Callaghan once more came to the front with strong, forcing play, and king did well in saving a very fast drive from the inside left. Later on, Colman tackled Smith near the half-way line, and then made off with the ball at his feet. Beating several players in turn, Colman soon found himself close to the Hibernians' goal. He crossed to Travers, and the latter, meeting the ball on his head, almost beat the goalkeeper with a very clever effort. As it was, Allan just managed to stop the ball on the goal line, and finally turn it around the back of the upright. The game continued to be contested on very fast lines, with the Hibernians, if anything, the more dangerous lot out twice within 2 minutes King had to rush out and clear from Anderson and Paterson, while at the other end Birrell and S. Allen were prominent with strong kicking.

Playing downhill, Aberdeen restarted with a rush for the Hibernians' goal. Birrell, however, was always safe, and from one of his returns Callaghan let Smith away. The latter was stopped by Wilson, who, in turn, passed the ball back to Colman. The latter, however, failed to get the ball away, but it was finally sent into touch by Smith. Gradually Aberdeen opened out to play, Travers being prominent, while Neilson responded with several very good centres from the left. The Hibernians' were well served and back, while Lamb and Girdwood were always prominent in defence. During all the pressure by Aberdeen, however, comparatively few shots were sent in the direction of goal. In this respect the Aberdeen front rank did not compare favourably with the opposing forwards, who had a try for goal whenever they got within shooting range. Millar and Wilson, however, tested Allan with a couple of fast shots, the attempt at scoring by the right half being specially good. A weak clearance by King almost let his side down, but he managed to get the ball at the second attempt. Following upon a cross by Neilson, Murray found himself in a good position to score, but was surrounded by three opponents, with the result that the ball was set high over the bar, and thus Aberdeen lost a glorious chance of gaining the lead. The seascape was taken advantage of by the Hibernians, who within a quarter hour from time which themselves one goal ahead. It was a very fine goal on the part of Paterson, who, catching up a long pass near midfield, got clear of the backs, and ran right to the Aberdeen goalmouth, where he finally placed the ball in the net. Towards the close the game was very exciting. Birrell kicked a rising ball against O'Hara, and it rebounded in the direction of goal, where W. Allan just managed to clear at full stretch. In the last minute the Hibernians' broke away, and in the midst of an exciting melee near the Aberdeen goal King fell on the ball, then lost it, but regained possession and finally cleared.

The gate was estimated at £144.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 12th December 1910

Not a few had a dread that Aberdeen would fail to conquer Hibs on Saturday, but they could not explain how this would be. With the exception of a pretty strong breeze, the conditions were favourable for a good game, and this was fully realised when the teams started off, it being understood that Lennie was an absentee.

Play started with Aberdeen facing the elements and with the disadvantage of the slight incline on the pitch. Surprise was the order of the day. Barely a couple of minutes had elapsed before the Hibs' centre burst through, first the halves and then the backs, and practically beating the lot single handed, ended, by beating the goalkeeper. It was so simple looking that we were astonished at the apparent listlessness of the defence at this time. They were completely caught on the hop; for with a movement they should have easily frustrated. With a goal lead, the Hibs surprised themselves by making progress when they got an opportunity; for after the reverse, Aberdeen by capital footwork kept the Hibs' defence on tenterhooks for some time. A fine cross by Neilson enabled Macintosh to equalise; but prior to this the point should have come, for the visitors could do everything but shoot goals.
Aberdeen were back to their old tricks. The ball was carried with excellent judgment and precision along the pitch, but when the critical moment came to shoot, there was not one in the front line able to materialise the simplest cross that came their way. The first half ended level, and, we had high hopes that Aberdeen would go straight to the front on resuming.

Our hopes were almost realised, for Murray had a glorious chance which we cannot understand how he missed, and Soye tried another which lacked a bit of sting. Press as they did, every man trying to get the points for his side, Aberdeen were met by a dour defence that not only took some beating, but tumbled to the close passing game to a nicety. After all, it was the Hibs, who had been defending splendidly, and never looked like getting away, that burst away. Paterson, racing away in fine style, won the game for the Hibs, for Aberdeen to the finish tried all their wiles, but could do nothing when under the crossbar. The Hibs won by goal simply on account of the rare dash they put into their work when they got away. We have seldom seen the Aberdeen defence play so poorly as they did on Saturday.


The Hibs were best served by their defence. We have before praised Allan between the posts, and on Saturday he made some excellent saves; while Birrell and S. Allan had the opposing forwards better in hand than any backs we have seen. The halves were wild and erratic, getting rid of the ball, at any price, so that their forwards did not combine as a line. Callaghan and Anderson caught the eye most in the front line.
On the Aberdeen side, King, with the exception of the first goal, did well, and saved several splendid shots. Colman and Hume were not up to their usual standard, and miskicked more than we have ever seen them. The halves were good, and worked hard, and no fault can be laid to them for the defeat. On the other hand, the forwards played well in the outfield, and worked the ball splendidly towards goal; but when there they failed in a greater degree than we have observed them this season. As a substitute for Lennie, Neilson made a very creditable appearance, justifying his selection and doing everything that was required of him. It would he difficult to explain how the forwards lost their sting at goalmouth, for they had cruel luck on many ocasions, and, in our opinion the game should have ended level.


Saturday was a day of surprises. Points were lost by the leading clubs that were least expected.
The sensation of the week has been the departure of A. Logan from Faikirk, and Bowie, the Q.P. amateur, has gone over to the Rangers.
These changes at this time of the year mean building up and a corresponding weakening of the team they leave.
The sixty-four clubs interested in the English cup produce a rare medley in the draw. What will the Scottish draw be like? It is made this week.
It is reported that Tom Robertson, the famous Scottish referee, is ill with an injured ankle, and will be unable to officiate for some time.
The International this year between England and Scotland will be played on the grounds of the Everton club, Goodison Park, Liverpool.
The Rugby attraction at Pittodrie failed to awaken enthusiasm amongst the general public, there being a very poor gate.
Of course the weather was greatly responsible for this; for had the weather been fine, there would have been a much larger crowd present.
As it was, the receipts will hardly pay either the Rugby Union or the Aberdeen F.C., but these things have to be taken on risk.
The players were immensely pleased with the condition of the pitch, and expected it to be much heavier than it was.
The North created a record by defeating the South for the first time since these trials were started.
We should have liked to have seen a ten thousand crowd witnessing the game on Saturday, when they would have got a few wrinkles.
What amazed many of the "soccer" enthusiasts was when a player was laid out, for no notice was taken of it till the movement had finished. The referee would have got his "kingdom come," had an Association player been allowed to lie three minutes without being attended to.

Source: Bon-Accord, 15th December 1910

Hibernian Teamsheet
W. Allan; Birrell, S. Allan; O'Hara, Girdwood, Lamb; D. Anderson, Rae , Paterson, Callaghan, Smith
Attendance: 7,000
Venue: Easter Road, Edinburgh
Referee: Mr. A. A. Jackson, Glasgow