Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 0 Celtic

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Celtic

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Soye.

14/01/1911 | KO:

At Pittodrie Park, Aberdeen, in presence of 12,000 spectators. The ground was very heavy, but nevertheless a splendid fight was seen. In the first half the game was conducted at a terrific pace, Aberdeen showing up well, but the home forwards were well held at close quarters by McNair and Hay. The Celts lost a rare chance with King out of his goal, but Wilson blocked Quinn not a moment too soon. Up to the interval the play was fast and furious, but there was no scoring at half time. In the second period play was quite as keen, with the Celts moving strongly. A sturdy defence, however, kept them at bay, although the Irishmen had two corners and a free kick near goal in the last five minutes. When three minutes from time, Soye scored for Aberdeen, who retired worthy winners of a most exciting contest. There was great enthusiasm at the finish over the victory. Result:- Aberdeen, one goal; Celtic, one.

Source: The Scotsman, 16th January 1911

Fully 13,000 spectators turned out at Pittodrie on Saturday to witness the game, under Scottish League auspices, between Aberdeen and Celtic, and when the home team secured the only goal of the match 2 minutes from time there was a scene of great enthusiasm. From start to finish the game was strenuously played, each side recognizing that the victory of the day would be an important factor in determining the ultimate championship of the league. Mr. T. Dougary, Nitshill, had charge of the game, and the teams were:-

Aberdeen: King; Colman, Hume; Davidson, Wilson, Millar; Soye, McIntosh, Nichol, Travers, Murray.
Celtic: Adams; McNair, Hay; Young, Loney, Dodds; Kivlichan, McMenemy, Quinn, Hastie, Johnston.

Kicking off, Celtic at once made an attempt to invade, but Quinn was tumbled to earth, and Soye and Mcintosh make headway till Hay intervened. George Wilson set his van moving, and twice Adams had to come out to clear the lines. Celtic have a great defence, and it was well for them at this stage, for there was constant danger from the Aberdeen attack, which was well supported by the halves. Dodds and Hay were repeatedly outwitted by the Aberdeen right wing, and when Soye crossed the sphere immediately in front of goal Murray pounced upon it and drove hard. The winger was in a difficult position, however, and his shot went past the upright. Celtic made their first real attack, and it was a dangerous one. Quinn headed the movement, and bind across to Kivlichan and on the right, were once centred. Wilson anticipated the move, and forced the pivot to part with the sphere again. McMenemy got possession, and looked like making headway, when Hume intervened, and after breasting the ball punted hard up the field. That left Aberdeen off, and Adams had to deal smartly with a header from Nichol. Celtic began to be more aggressive no, and after a fruitless corner had been secured, Hastie and Kivlichan both had good tries.
The Celtic right-winger was probably the most dangerous of the Irish quartette, and when Wilson made a miskick, he got in a drive which almost opened the scoring. The local centre-half made a great effort to block, but Kivlichan caught in his drive, and the ball came drooping down on King's charge. It landed just under the bar, but the custodian displayed good judgment, and, jumping at the proper time, brought the leather safely down for a clearing punt. Quinn was anxious for an opening and ever ready with head and foot. In midfield, the Celtic halves passed back to the defenders, who lashed the ball forward, and, from an attack of this kind, Lonie tried a long drive, which went behind. There was no disputing the superiority of the Irish attack now, and Quinn, with the aid of his left-wingers, was responsible for an exciting pressure in front of King. Colman had to concede a corner, and when Johnston dropped the ball dead in front of the goal, King affected a splendid clearance with his fists. Back again came the Celts, and when Kivlichan got in a nice square, King dashed out. The keeper failed to take the ball within, and Wilson had to go between the uprights. King got back in time to block of volleying shot from one of the Celtic halves. The danger was not averted till Kivlichan, hustled by Millar, placed behind. Foul against Millar close in looked bad, but offside saved the situation. Aberdeen's defence was stubborn, but they had much to do in defensive work, with the result that the home forwards did not get many opportunities of attacking. At last, however, the siege was raised, and the locals make headway. Nichol had a couple of drives, and Tom Murray did a lot of useful work in the outfield, frequently making Young look foolish. "Sunny Jim" and Lonie were inclined to the forcible in their mode of breaking up combination, and after Nichol did a somersault, assisted by Lonie, Young brought down upon his head the wrath of the crowd for fouling Travers. Just before the interval Quinn got in a hard drive which would have caused trouble had it not going past the post on the wrong side, for king slipped and fell when he sprung to save. Over the period, Celtic deserved credit for doing most of the aggressive work, but Aberdeen's defence was such as did not deserve to have points recorded against them. It was a strenuous and well-balanced half.

After preliminary attacks by both sides, Travers roused the enthusiasm of the crowd with a rare bit of individual work. He dribbled through between a couple of halves and placed past the back for his partner, but Murray was not up, and the chance was lost. Wilson was working hard, and gave Quinn no rope. The centre was on the point of shooting for goal when Wilson nipped the ball from his toe, and let Soye off on the run. This resulted in a hot pressure on the Celtic charge, and Hay almost placed in the net by mistake. The corner advantage was cleared, and then followed a spell of hard running from end to end, in which the Aberdeen men were the better lot. Murray and travers were now more in the picture, and as the right wing also maintained their form of the first half, the Celtic halves and backs had as much to do as they could comfortably cope with. So severe was the pressure that the Irishmen became none too particular as to their methods of repelling the attack. Mary had the size of his opponents, and Adams was not comfortable with a hot shot which Tom got in after wandering Young and Lonie. Johnston got away for Celts, but King turned the invasion, and then Colman and Hay had a bout of long hunting, which Wilson put a stop to by placing nicely for the forwards. From the left the ball came across the Celtic Lines until it reached Soye, who banged behind. If ever Celtic were made to realize the value of their strong defence, it was know, for Aberdeen were crowding down, and looked like scoring every minute. Millar started a pretty movement in which the locals played with rare judgment the long passing game. Celtic beat off the attack for the time being, and there was a period of pressure, but, apart from a try by McMenemy, nothing resulted. With only 2 minutes to go, the majority of the crowd had made up their minds for a goalless draw. The unexpected happened, however, for Aberdeen got the winning goal, which the so well deserved that this stage. Soye placed the ball from Nichol, who ousted over Hay with his head, and found himself face to face with Adams. The pivot and keeper engaged in a bout, in the course of which Adams fell, and Nichol stumbled forward. The centre tried to scrape the ball in with his food, but before he could regain his balance, the Celtic men crowded on the goal line. In the backed goal, Travers and McIntosh tried to drive the sphere in, but the goal did not come till the ball went out of the crowd to Soye, who had no difficulty in finding the net. This achievement was the signal for a tremendous outburst of enthusiasm, the crowd cheering and waving sticks and cap in the air out the match was practically decided, and the cheering had not died down when the sounding of the whistle proclaimed Aberdeen victors.


Taking the game as a whole, Aberdeen were full value for their win, and had the Celts secured a division of the points it would have been more than their value. Aberdeen's defence held the Celtic attack splendidly, and to King great credit is due for many admirable clearances. Colman was a little off colour to begin with, but he recovered, and he and Hume were a sound pair. The middle line was effective, and George Wilson was the star of the field. He had a grip of the great Quinn that surprised that player, and in addition he did yeoman service tackling elsewhere, placing for the forwards, and occasionally taking part in the attack. The wings were both good. On the Celtic side, the defence was the outstanding feature; the halves were robust, but inclined to be shady in their tactics. Over good working front rank, Kivlichan was the best.

The drawings amounted to over £300.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 16th January 1911

Celtic Teamsheet
Adams; McNair, Hay; Young, Loney, Dodds; Kivlichan, McMenemy, Quinn, Hastie, Johnston
Attendance: 13,500
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. T. Dougary, Nitshill