Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 0 Brechin City

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Brechin City

Scottish Cup First Round
Aberdeen scorers: Murray, Travers, Soye.

28/01/1911 | KO:

Easy Victory for the Home Team

At Aberdeen before 7000 spectators. Early in the match Shand, the Brechin right back, fell and fractured his arm, and took no further part in the game. Aberdeen had all the play, but scored only one goal, through Murray, up to the interval. The Brechin defence was very sound. In the second half, Aberdeen again monopolised the play, and scored further goals, Travers and Soye doing the needful. The match was a poor one, and one-sided. Result:- Aberdeen, three goals; Brechin, nothing.

Source: The Scotsman, 30th January 1911

About 6000 spectators attended at Pittodrie on Saturday to witness the first round tie in the Scottish Cup competition, when the home team had an easy win by three goals to nil. Teams:-

Aberdeen: King; Colman, Hume; Davidson, Wilson, Millar; Soye, McIntosh, Murray, Travers, Lennie.
Brechin: Balfour; Shand, Lyon; Knowles, Findlay, Henderson; Murray, Sherret, Glen, Hampton, Milne.
Referee - Mr. Kelso, Hamilton.

In the opening minute of the game Brechin were thrown back on their defence, and from this position they seldom got clear. The local men did not take matters seriously, and it was not until Lennie did it that the first real try for goal was made. The winger cut in to centre, and, after placing the ball, drove high over the bar. There was plenty of bustle and energy out the play of the Brechiners, and they occasionally tried to introduce the long swinging game, but they were more than mastered by the skill of the locals. After Tom Murray had had a couple of breaking shots, Lennie got in a drive, which Balfour stopped on the line. About 15 minutes and go on when the visitors were unfortunate to lose their right back, Shand, who fell and had to leave with a broken arm. A few minutes later Aberdeen got the first goal through Tom Murray. This proved to be the only point of the period, but the locals almost the waterway threw away many opportunities, including a penalty, when McIntosh drove the ball against the upright. On the Brechin side, it was mostly a defensive game, and, although Glen tried hard to lead his men up to King's end, it was an easy matter for the local defence to turn these invasions.

Much the same state of matters ruled in the second period, for Aberdeen and once crowded down on the Brechin citadel. It was a hard time for the visitors' defence, but the pressure provided a dealer amusement for the spectators and to the Aberdeen players. Balfour was busy, and Knowles and Lyon set up a plucky defence. It was only a question of time before the Brechin goal would be penetrated, and it was Travers who did it with the terrific drive which ball for could not hold. Except for an occasional breakaway by Glen, supported by Hamilton and Milne, the strangers did nothing in an aggressive way. Soye was in his element, and he got the third goal, which was perfectly work for and beautifully finished. He out-manoeuvred all opposition, and his final punt was straight and true. From this point till the finish the game resolved itself into little better than a farce, with Aberdeen amusing themselves and making no serious effort to obtain further goals.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 30th January 1911

Brechin City Teamsheet
Balfour; Shand, Lyon; Knowles, Findlay, Henderson; Murray, Sherret, Glen, Hampton, Milne
Attendance: 6,500
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. Kelso, Hamilton