Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 1 Third Lanark

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 1 Third Lanark

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Soye, Lennie, Millar.
Third Lanark scorers: Fairfoull (Pen)

04/02/1911 | KO:

At Pittodrie Park, Aberdeen, in fine weather, and before 7000 spectators. Aberdeen started in spirited style, the home forwards showing up well, particularly Soye and Lennie. Six minutes after the start, Soye scored after Brownlie had failed to clear a hard drive from Lennie. Later, McIntosh (Aberdeen) struck the post with a terrific drive, while he almost beat Brownlie with a fast shot on the run. After thirty minutes' play, Third Lanark scored through Fairfoull from a penalty. The second half was very one-sided, Aberdeen having all the game, and goals were obtained by Lennie and Millar. Near the close, the Third Lanark rallied, but they were badly beaten by a superior side. Result:- Aberdeen, three goals; Third Lanark, one.

Source: The Scotsman, 6th February 1911

At Pittodrie Park on Saturday afternoon Aberdeen defeated Third Lanark and a Scottish League match by 3 goals to 1, and thereby maintained their record of not having been beaten at home this season. A crowd of about 9000 witness the game, and, although the weather was dull, the conditions were by no means unfavourable. But teams and officials were:-

Aberdeen: King; Colman, Hume; Davidson, Wilson, Millar; Soye, McIntosh, Murray, Travers, Lennie.
Third Lanark: Brownlie; Sloan, Orr; Fairfoull, Ferguson, Mainds; Rankin, Chalmers, Lambie, Whyte, Prentice.
Referee - Mister J. Kilbride, Polmont.
Linesmen - Messrs D. J. Liddell, Glasgow, and J. Bowman, Motherwell.

The game opened fast, Thirds playing towards the sea with the advantage of a slight breeze. Good individual touches by Travers were the means of Lennie getting away at the start, and Brownlie had to accept himself to avoid a corner nearly conceded by Fairfoull. Thirds soon found their footing, and Rankin carried play to the home end, where Hume cleared. Subsequently the home left took part in some pretty passing, Wilson starting the movement. Travers, by clever following up, allowed Lennie to get off, but Sloan cleared well. Then followed a raid by Lambie and Whyte, King having to clear a rolling ball from Prentice, and then Coleman tackled and cleared from Chalmers in great style. After a bout of free kicking by the visiting backs, Millar let Travers and Lennie away, and the winger centred across the goalmouth. Brownlie, rushing out, failed to get the ball away, and after an exciting scrimmage, Soye, who had wandered to the left with the off chance of the ball coming out of the melee, put it into the net. Pretty half-back play by Davidson allowed McIntosh and Soye to make ground, and inside man had some dazzling runs and clever centres, which the Third's defence seemed to have the knack of clearing. On one occasion Travers's head lifted the ball inches past the outside of the upright. So far Thirds had made a poor aggressive show, and, with Aberdeen attacking, matters looked as if they were out for a comfortable win. Chalmers had one good effort, which brought King to his knees, but it was McIntosh who had the best shot of the match. Rushing in between Ferguson and Mainds, 30 yards out, he caught the ball and drove it with terrific force against the upright, and shortly afterwards, following upon a corner, he tried a scoop shot, which went over. Prentice, catching up the punts of his backs, was the only visiting forward to shine, and it was in vain that he tried to develop a swinging-pass game among his colleagues. A run in by Rankin and a trip by Hume saw the referee grant a penalty to the visitors after consulting a linesman, and Fairfoull, who took the kick, equalised. Thirds improved immensely after this, and but for good defensive work by Colman and Hume, and harassing work by the halves, they would have scored again. Soye brought relief and outwitted Orr in estimable style, but his cross met the fate of many others, and was cleared by Sloan, whose display, although forceful, was of a high standard. Lennie got in a good centre, and Murray looked like getting through when he fouled the goalkeeper. McIntosh, whose snap shots were the feature of the first half, had a great drive from long range and this Brownlie saved in great style, while just on the interval King had to fist away from Whyte.

The resumption saw Hume in difficulties with Rankin, but the cross was got away by Colman, and the home van were soon swarming around Brownlie, although Sloan, in particular, and Orr did not allow them to settle for shooting. Soye forced a corner, but nothing came of it, and then Davidson essayed and dribble, but finished weakly. A miskick by Orr almost allowed Travers to get through, but the back recovered. For a long period play ruled in the Third's end of the field, but the home forwards were never allowed to get into the firing zone, consequently any shots that Brownlie had to deal with came from long range, and he had plenty of time to prepare for them. Wilson had a long effort, which the internationalist cleared under the bar, and following on this he had to deal with a succession of rolling balls after desultory play. The visiting forwards had never been a power of any great consequence in the game so far, and the rearrangement was tried, Rankin going inside right, Chalmers centre, and Lambie to the extreme right wing. Apart from the fact that Rankin was prominent with some clever dribbling, the change did not attend two more effectiveness, and Chalmers' ? was futile against the science of Colman. After a period of slack play in midfield and an excursion by McIntosh, Lennie caught the ball at a difficult angle and shot it against the upright, from where it went into the net. This goal had the effect of livening up the subsequent game. Aberdeen read attacked with a vigorous persistence eight, and Soye drove over, while Lennie sent several balls behind. McIntosh, with his usual dash, tried to force the pace, but he seldom got a chance to show his shooting powers in this half. A foul against Wilson brought relief to Thirds, but Colman punted clear, and after some passing by the home stars in the outfield, Millar, with a characteristic drive, volleyed through the best goal of the match. Prentice had a good run after this, and Hume headed out below the bar, but apart from this Thirds were never dangerous, and were a beaten side.

Aberdeen were full value for their victory, and although by no means giving of their best, they were easily the more finished side. More methodical had quick in their movements, their superiority was seldom challenged, and but for a good defence by the visitors the margin of victory went quite easily have been larger.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 6th February 1911

Third Lanark Teamsheet
Brownlie; Sloan, Orr; Fairfoull, Ferguson, Mainds; Rankin, Chalmers, Lambie, Whyte, Prentice
Attendance: 9,500
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. D. J. Liddell, Glasgow