Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Airdrie 1 - 3 Aberdeen

HT Score: Airdrie 1 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Airdrie scorers: Donaldson
Aberdeen scorers: McIntosh, Nichol, Travers.

18/03/1911 | KO:

Exciting Play

Return League game at Airdrie. Playing against the wind, Nichol had a fine chance, but he shot wide. Airdrie pressed, and Thomson netted, but a goal was disallowed for some reason not apparent. Despite the wind, Aberdeen played a strong game, Ewart only averting a goal off Lennie by very clever saving. Play was largely in favour of Airdrie, but their forwards were met with a strong defence, who shielded King extremely well. The Airdrieonians had little luck with their shooting, and were long due the goal which Donaldson at length heaved through off a cross by Stothers. Stothers had a great run on resuming, passing all but King, who made a wonderful save. Immediately Lennie got away, and crossing finely, McIntosh headed the equaliser. Nichol followed with a well taken goal that beat Ewart all the way. Another goal was scored by Travers. Result:- Aberdeen, three; Airdrie, one.

Source: UThe Scotsman, 18th March 1911

The return league game between Aberdeen and the Airdrieonians at Broomfield, Airdrie, on Saturday was keenly contested throughout, with Aberdeen the superior side in the second half and the ultimate winners by goals 3 to 1. The weather was bitterly cold, while a strong wind blew from one end of the field to the other. The teams were:-

Airdrieonians: Ewart; Howat, Mackie; Murphy, Duff, J. Young; Stothers, Thomson, S. Young, Donaldson, Nelson.
Aberdeen: King; Hannah, Hume; Wilson, Wyllie, Millar; Soye, McIntosh, Nichol, Travers, Lennie.
Referee - R. J. Kelson, Hamilton.

In the absence of Colman, Hannah appeared at right back, while Hume captained the Aberdeen team for the day. Airdrieonians won the toss, and played during the first half with a strong wind in their favour. Aberdeen, however, were the first two breakaway, McIntosh, meant Nichol, and Soye leading off in a nice combined movement. When within a few yards of goal, Soye picked up a short pass from Nichol, but the right winger was in a somewhat awkward position for scoring, although he made a capital effort to beat Ewart, the ball going narrowly past the outside of the upright. Aberdeen continued to show up well against the breeze, and Ewart had to clear the low drive from Nichol. Airdrie retaliated with a sprint along the right, Stothers and Thomson leading the way. Near goal, Thomson beat Hume and then passed out to Stothers, but the latter, with only King in front of him, shot wide of the posts. Miskicking by Hume let in the Airdrie forwards, but King rushed out and cleared with a strong kick. He had no time to gather the ball, but his clearance, although risky, practically saved the goal. Pulling themselves together, Aberdeen carried the ball right into the Airdrie half of the field. Travers force the pace, beat the centre half, and then slipped the ball through for Nichol. The latter raced ahead and rounded the backs, but just when he appeared likely to walk the ball into the net, Nichol shot from about 15 yards range, and finally sent the ball wide of the posts. So far, the game had been very even, and the football good on both sides. The teams, indeed, displayed astonishing team this for a league game. Hannah, after a shaky start, came away grandly in the Aberdeen defence, is tackling being very sound, while he kicked with good judgement against the wind. Hume, too, improved after a rather uncertain start, while the half-backs were all good. The Airdrieonians were a strong, eager lot, and would undoubtedly have got on the lead at this time had Stothers and Young make better use of their openings. Thompson netted for Airdrie, but the whistle had just previously sounded for a foul against Young. Following upon this incident came a period of severe, persistent pressure by the home team. A slipped through by Thomson gave Donaldson his chance, and the latter certainly made the most of it. He shot hard and low for the corner of the net, but King, at full stretch on the ground, turn the ball round the outside of the upright - a really brilliant clearance. Airdrie continued the aggressive work, and shots from Stothers and Thomson were saved by King, while Hannah blocked a drive from Young. Then Hume stepped in and dropped Donaldson, we'll Wilson headed clear near the goal line, being bundled, head over heels, next minute by Donaldson. A series of mishaps occurred after half-an hour's play - Lennie, S Young, Stothers, and Millar receiving knocks which necessitated stoppages in the game. Play was not altogether off, but there was no mistaking the keenness of the match. Ewart did well in place clearing from Lennie, while the goalkeeper on another occasion ran out and fisted the ball away from between McIntosh and Nichol. Five minutes from the interval the Airdrieonians scored through Donaldson, who beat King with a neat header. Stothers crossed the ball from the right, and the inside left finished the business, the ball striking the far post and rebounding into the net. The home team were full value for their lead.

During the interval the field was swept by a heavy fall of snow, but when the game was resumed the weather cleared and the wind fell considerably. Aberdeen at once attacked, and in the first minute the visitors were awarded two corners. Then followed a sensational bit of play, which King and Stothers played a prominent part. The Airdrie outside right broke away on his own, and was soon clear of the backs. Keeping a thorough control of the ball, he raced along the centre of the field to within a few yards of King. The goalkeeper was seen to rush out and actually gather the ball from the feet of Stothers. Next minute the ball was sent spinning in the direction of the Airdrie goal. Lennie fastened on, and then crossed to the right, when McIntosh was in waiting. The latter caught up the ball with his head, and finally beat Ewart at close quarters. On an equal footing, both teams went into the game with renewed energy, but it was Aberdeen's game know, for Airdrie were seldom away from their own goal. A quarter of an hour after the restart Nichol put his team won up with a great shot. The Aberdeen forwards were bunched together just outside the penalty area, when Nichol got on the ball, and, without a moment's hesitation, let drive. Ewart was completely taken by surprise, for he never started to get at the shot, which landed the ball high up in the far corner of the net. The visitors continued to play football of the most brilliant description, the half-backs cooperating with the forwards in a most effective manner. King was seldom trouble, while Hannah and Hume were equal to all calls. A pretty movement by Lennie, Nichol, McIntosh, and Travers ended with a lovely goal, taken by the last-named player. He ran right through between the backs, and beat Ewart with a fast drive, the ball hitting the under part of the bar and finally landing in the net. To the close Aberdeen were the only team in the game.


The match was full of interest, and an exceptionally fast pace characterised the game during the 90 minutes play. The Aberdeen players won on their merits. Hannah made a capital substitute for Colman, but all over the team gave a sound display, especially in the second half. The Airdrieonians were the better side in the opening period, but were outplayed in the second half. The gate was estimated at £87, representing an attendance of 4000.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 20th March 1911

Airdrie Teamsheet
Ewart; Howat, Mackie; Murphy, Duff, J. Young; Stothers, Thomson, S. Young, Donaldson, Nelson
Aberdeen Teamsheet
King, Hannah, Hume, Wilson, Wyllie, Millar, Soye, McIntosh, Nichol, Travers, Lennie.
Attendance: 4,500
Venue: Broomfield Park, Airdrie
Referee: Mr. R. G. Kelso, Hamilton