Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 0 Dumbarton

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Dumbarton

Scottish Cup Quarter Final
Aberdeen scorers: Rooney 53.

08/03/2014 | KO: 15:00

Rooney Header Sees of Plucky Sons

The Dons lined up with Langfield in goal, Logan at right back with Anderson and Reynolds in central defence with Considine at left back. The midfield holding players were Flood and Jack with Robson on the right and Smith playing off Rooney. Niall McGinn dropped to the bench and Peter Pawlett did not make the squad due to injury.

Dumbarton lined up with Mitch Megginson in the starting XI. How many times in cup games in the past have the Dons been undone by former players? Another ex Don Bryan Prunty was not fully fit so was given a spot on the bench.

The game kicked off in windy but dry conditions and there was a good atmosphere thanks to the impressive Dumbarton away support who added some colour and noise to the occasion.

The first chance of the game came on 4 minutes when after a good move, Logan, who had got himself well forward, put over a good low ball and Andy Graham very nearly deflected the ball into his own net but the ball just went past the post for the first corner of the game. Robson floated over a good ball to the back post area which picked out the unmarked Reynolds but he could not do anything with his header apart from heading it straight to keeper Grindlay.

On 13 minutes Scott Linton made a great break down the left. He got the better of Robson before nutmegging Flood and that allowed him to get a shot away but he dragged his effort wide. A minute later at the other end Hayes had a chance but he also dragged his shot well wide.

After 16 minutes full back Paul McGinn gave the ball away on the half way line and he all of a sudden was caught badly out of position. Jack played it to Hayes who took the ball for a run before putting over a great cross. Robson threw himself at it but Linton and Grindlay somehow kept his header out.

Dumbarton then had a free kick in a good position but Agnew wasted the opportunity by put over a bad ball. Then from a throw in Robson turned and hit an early shot but Grindlay did well to get down low and put the ball behind for a corner. Hayes shortly after that almost found Robson again in the box. The Dons had put some good passing moves together and slowly beginning to get on top.Another good passing move on 20 minutes and Cammy Smith was in behind the defence but unfortunately Cammy could not keep the ball in play.

The visitors then appealed for a penalty when Kane and Anderson clashed but the ref waved play on.

On 28 minutes Angew played over a much better free kick, he picked out Megginson who came in at the back post but his effort hit Langfield and the keeper reacted quickly to claim the ball. On the half hour mark Robson tried his luck with a free kick fully 35 yards out and although he struck the ball well Grindlay saw it all it the way and claimed a comfortable catch.

Then on 39 minutes the closest the Dons came to scoring in the first half. A Hayes cross was not defended properly and the ball landed at the feet of Cammy Smith. He neatly moved the ball onto his left before hitting a shot which was going in but hit Andy Graham who made a vital block.

Dumbarton were defending well and to their credit were keeping Nish and Kane forward. They were far more attacking than many SPFL Premiership sides. Kane on 41 minutes very nearly got the break of the ball but thankfully it took a bad bounce and Langfield gathered. He would have been in otherwise.

A minute later a corner for the Dons and Considine at the near post won the initial ball but could not do anything with the follow up shot. Then on 43 minutes a good chance for the Sons. The ball fell nicely for Megginson on the edge of the area and he had space and time but the former Don, who has scored nine goals this season, put his first time shot just wide.

The Dons went in at the break knowing they were certainly in a game.


The visitors started the second half very strongly. A couple in minutes in Angew chipped a ball in and Langfield dropped a low ball. It looked for all the world as Kane would score but Anderson reacted first and managed to put the ball to safety. A major let off for the Dons.

The chance though lifted Dumbarton and they then dominated for the next seven minutes or so. Colin Nish did well to beat Anderson before cut it back for Megginson. The Dons defence did just enough to close him down in time and his shot looped up into the grateful arms of Langfield. Then minutes later Nish set up Agnew and his deflected shot looked threatening but Langfield held on.

Pittodrie had become very nervous.

It was therefore completely against the run of play when Aberdeen took the lead on 52 minutes. Massive credit for the goal must go to Cammy Smith who had a very impressive game.He chased a ball that looked a lost cause into the corner and did so well he managed to force Scott Linton into give away a corner. The Dumbarton player was trying to see the ball out for a goal kick. How many goals come from needlessly given away corners? The Dons took full advantage as Robson swung a ball in which Rooney met perfectly and his header from 10 yards gave the stranded Grindlay no chance.

Goals change games, and it certainly did today.

Aberdeen then went on to dominate the rest of the half. On 55 minutes a good run by Jack won Aberdeen another corner. Robson's ball to the near post was headed on by Anderson and only went inches past.

Dumbarton then suffered a blow when the influential Nish had to come off and he was replaced by Garry Fleming. His first touch found Kane in the box but the player on loan from St Johnstone headed just wide. Then on 65 minutes Flood put over a deep cross. Hayes was not picked up and his diving header went inches past the far post.

Dumbarton suffered another blow when Linton went off injured. He was replaced by Scott Smith. The changes seemed to affect the flow of the visitors and all of a sudden their players started to look very tired and they were not matching their runners. The Dons then very nearly went two up when Jack placed his shot from the edge of the area but it hit the post. Hayes forced Grindlay into a decent save from the rebound. On 68 minutes a Hayes cross found Flood at the back post but he failed to convert.

There were further changes with about 75 minutes to go. Angew came off and he was replaced by ex Don Bryan Prunty. Also the Dons made a change with Cammy Smith coming off and Niall McGinn coming on. Young Cammy had an excellent game this afternoon. The Dons were now in control and dictating play. Also the superior fitness levels were telling. The Dumbarton heavy legs were getting heavier as the Dons played keep ball.

On 79 minutes McGinn put over an excellent ball which picked out Rooney. He got slightly under it and he failed to direct his header. Then Flood, who was quite outstanding in the final stages, hooked a high ball into the box. It looked a bit of a hit and hope at the time but it was actually a clever ball - Robson headed it back for McGinn, he turned but the defender managed to get a block in. A good move from the Dons then saw Jack slip the ball to Robson who in turn played it to Logan and his cross was met first time by Rooney but the ball just went behind.

On 85 minutes Adam Rooney was replaced by Scott Vernon. You really did think at this stage that Adam's goal was going to be the difference as you could see no way back for Dumbarton. Barry Robson was then replaced by Nicky Low.

Then with two minutes remaining it was almost disaster time for the Dons. Fleming lifted a ball into the box. It looked a fairly routine clearance but Hayes had switched off for a split second and Paul McGinn had a free header. He failed to connect properly but the Dons players could only look on as the ball bounced off the surface over the bar. What a chance and what a let off.

After that there was four minutes of added time but the Dons were able to see out the game comfortably with the ball spending most of the time in the corner flags.

A professional performance from the Dons but Dumbarton will also head down the road proud of their efforts.

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Langfield, Logan, Anderson, Reynolds, Considine, Jack, Flood, Robson (Low 87), Hayes, Smith (McGinn 70), Rooney (Vernon 83).

Unused Subs: Weaver, Tate, Zola, Shaughnessy.
Dumbarton Teamsheet
Stephen Grindlay, Paul McGinn, Andrew Graham, Michael Miller, Scott Linton (Scott Smith 63), Mark Gilhaney, Scott Agnew (Bryan Prunty 70), Christopher Kane, Jordan Kirkpatrick, Colin Nish (Garry Fleming 60), Mitchel Megginson. Unused Subs: Jamie Ewings, Hugh Murray, Callum Thomson, Steven McDougall.
Attendance: 10,600
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Kevin Clancy
Next Match
Queen of the South
13 Jul 2024 / 17:15 / Palmerston Park, Dumfries