Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Queens Park 2 - 4 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Queens Park scorers: McPhee , Barbour
Aberdeen scorers: Wyllie, Travers, Lennie, Travers.

22/04/1911 | KO:

Scottish League match at Hampden, Glasgow, before a poor attendance. The Queen's won the toss, starting off at a brisk fashion, and Barbour had an excellent try, which, however, was effectively stopped by Harper. The home men had the better of the opening exchanges, but their shooting was ineffective. Give-and-take play followed, and after a spell of interesting football, Wylie succeeded in netting for the visitors. The second half opened in favour of the amateurs, but before many minutes had gone Travers added a second goal. Shortly afterwards McFee scored for Queen's, and not long after a third was added by Lennie, who took a pass from Soye. Travers contributed a fourth, which put the result beyond doubt. Nearing the end Barbour scored for Queen's. Result:- Aberdeen, four goals; Queen?s Park, two goals.

Source: The Scotsman, 24th April 1911

The Aberdeen team that defeated Queen's Park by 4 goals to 2 in their return league fixture at Hampden Park, Glasgow, on Saturday, and are now are assured of second place on the merit table with 47 points and a match to play - against Celtic in Glasgow. The weather on Saturday brought down prior to the start of the game, rain falling heavily, with the result that the attendance of spectators were small, only about 4000 being present. The teams were:-

Queen's Park: McKenna; McBean, Purcell; Oliphant, Murray, Laughland; Drummond, Ramsay, McPhee, Barbour, Anderson.
Aberdeen: King; Colman, Harper; Wilson, Wyllie, Davidson; Soye, Murray, McIntosh, Travers, Lennie.
Referee - Mr. Mackenzie, Glasgow.

Queen's Park won the toss, and during the first half played with a strong breeze in their favour. Aberdeen opened in brisk fashion, Lennie and Travers carrying the ball to the Queen's Park end of the field, and within a minute of the start Davidson had a creditable try for goal, his shot passing over the bar. The Queen's replied with a burst away on the left, mainly as the result of smart work by Laughland, who passed ahead to Barbour. The inside left had a shot on the run, which was blocked by Harper. Play favoured the home team, and strong, forcing football by McFie led up to a period of pressure near the Aberdeen goal. The strong wind, however, bothered the amateurs' forwards, while Coleman and Harper, although none too sure at times, frequently blocked the opposing forwards when they got dangerous. Wyllie was prominent for Aberdeen, while later on Soye and Murray attempted to get through the Queen's defence in a combined movement, but Pursell was in fine form, and transfer of play to the other end of the field. Aberdeen only occasionally got across midfield, and at this stage A. F. Murray was prominent, both in his tackling and tries for goal. A run and centre by Anderson was followed by a combined movement between Wilson and the Aberdeen right wing. Soye crossed just at the right moment, but McIntosh headed past when nicely placed. Laughland was always a prominent figure in the amateurs' ranks, and one shot from the left-half was the feature of the match so far. After dribbling a few yards, he let drive for goal, the ball travelling at great pace, but King cleared splendidly, while next minute the home team were awarded a free-kick close to the penalty line. This was safely cleared, but the Glasgow men were persistent in their attacks, and ought to have scored, considering the openings that came along. Ramsay and Drummond gave lots of trouble to Davidson and Harper, and, with a little bit of luck, McFie would have scored with one or other of his many praiseworthy attempts. Aberdeen for a time could make no headway against the breeze, while the tackling of the Queen's half-backs was always keen and effective. A capital try by Barbour almost brought a goal to his side, a fast shot from the inside left passing close to the upright. Latterly, however, Aberdeen came more into their game, Lennie being prominent on the wing, and it was due to his forcing play that the visitors ultimately gave Queen's backs plenty to do. McBean and Pursell, however, defended skilfully, with the result that McKenna was rarely troubled. A shot from Soye, however, rattled the crossbar after McKenna was well beaten. Play was always interesting, although the Queen's had by far the best of matters, shots from A. F. Murray and Anderson just missing the net, while Ramsay had a fast drive saved by King. Good work by the Aberdeen extreme right forwards brought no tangible result, the inside men being somewhat slow in catching up the passes from Soye and Lennie. Wyllie again came to the front with some very good play, and he finally finished off a brilliant single-handed run by scoring a lovely goal. His shot was truly of the unsavable order, for he let drive for goal within a few yards of McKenna. Aberdeen improved wonderfully after their opening goal, and a fast, low shot from Travers was finely saved by McKenna. Right up to the interval Aberdeen held the upper hand.


The wind fell considerably when play was resumed. Aberdeen at once made tracks for the Queen's goal, and with a minute after the restart they were two up. The movement began on the right, and just when the Aberdeen forwards had the opposing defense well beaten, Travers fastened on the ball inside the penalty line and shot hard and true for the corner of the net. McKenna had no chance of saving. A cross from Lennie led up to another attack on the queen's goal, and a header from McIntosh was smartly cleared by the goalkeeper. Pulling themselves together, the Queen's made off on the left wing, Barbour leading the way after tricky work on the ball. He dashed in on King, but unfortunately the inside left drove the ball over the bar. Lennie responded with an equally good effort at the other end, in which he beat McBean in a race for the ball, while Pursell did well in heading away a centre from Soye. Aberdeen had no hit upon a nice open game, front rank this playing many clever touches. Slackness on the part of the Aberdeen defence lead to McFie opening the scoring for Queen's Park. Wilson was robbed of the ball, which went to Barbour, who in turn gave it to Anderson. The latter tricked Colman near the goal line and centred. There was a dash and a mix up in goalmouth, and ultimately the ball bounced off McFie and into the net. Aberdeen quietly [quickly?] got a third goal, following upon clever play by Soye. The right winger ran round the opposing half and back, crossed the ball to the centre, and Lennie, rushing in, beat McKenna with the terrific drive. The queen's played up pluckily against the odds, but soon a fourth goal fell to Aberdeen, Travers scoring off a corner, nicely placed by Soye. Interest in the game was now almost entirely gone. Still the Queen's kept pegging away, and they were rewarded with a second goal scored by Barbour. To the close the home players worked hard to reduce the leeway, but the end came with the scorers:- Aberdeen, 4; Queen's Park, 2.

The gate was estimated at £88.

On the actual run of the game there was little to choose between the teams, but Aberdeen were very deadly in their shooting, and it was here that the honours fell to the winners. The Aberdeen goals were very fine efforts, and McKenna had really no chance of saving either. The Queen's Park played a plucky, and at times very clever game, but we're lacking in shooting power.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 24th April 1911

Queens Park Teamsheet
McKenna; McBean, Purcell; Oliphant, Murray, Laughland; Drummond, Ramsay, McPhee, Barbour, Anderson
Attendance: 4,000
Venue: Hampden Park, Glasgow
Referee: Mr. Mackenzie, Glasgow