Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Falkirk 2 - 2 Aberdeen

SPFL U20 League
Aberdeen scorers: Masson 22, Robson 39.

12/11/2013 | KO: 14:00

Aberdeen U20s drew two all with Falkirk in an entertaining game at the Falkirk Stadium. The young Dons continued their recent good run with another good performance but they will be disappointed not to have won the game as they lost a last minute equaliser. The first chance of the game fell to Aberdeen on 10 minutes. Robson played a superb long through ball for Wylde. The winger beat his man before cutting the ball back to Smith but his shot hit the post and Shankland's rebound was block. Stevie Crawford's Falkirk side then took the lead on 15 minutes after Masson had given away a foul about 25 yards out. Rakish Bingham curled the ball over the wall and away from Rogers into the corner of the net. The ball skimmed off the wet surface which made it difficult for the keeper to get down to in time. The goal lifted the home side and the Dons had to weather a storm from Falkirk, they also had to weather some horrendous weather but they stood firm and after Neil Cooper made a clever tactical change they came more into the game. On 22 minutes Falkirk gave away a needless corner and Aberdeen made them pay. Robson took a short one to Smith. He fired in a shot across the face of goal and Shankland did well to react and tap home from close range. With an extra man now in the middle of the park the Dons started to dominate a bit and Robson was pulling all the strings in the middle of the park. On 25 minutes Smith created space for himself at the edge of the box and he was able to get a strong shot on target but the keeper parried it to safety. On 39 minutes Cammy Smith did really well to turn his man on the half way line. He powered forward and Wylde made a clever run to take some defenders away and leave a gap for Smith to run into. Cammy showed really good awareness to hold up play before slipping the ball to the on running Robson who had done really well to get up in support and he hammered a left foot shot past the keeper. It was a really well worked goal.

After the break the Dons had a good chance to grab a third when the impressive Smith played in Wylde on 50 minutes but his shot went over. On 54 minutes the Dons had the ball in the net after Shankland had finished off another good move down the left but the goal was ruled out for offside. After that the home side started to dominate possession as they went looking for an equaliser. Striker Scott Shepherd missed a good chance, Kris Faulds broke into the box and put a great ball across the face of goal and then Bingham blasted a good chance over the bar. For a good ten minutes it was all Falkirk but the Dons defence did just enough to keep them out. On 70 minutes Robson eyed up a free kick about 25 yards out but his effort just went over. That was his last involvement of the game as he was then replaced by Stephen O'Neill. Despite the loss of the influential Robson the young Dons held their own in the finals stages and with full backs Murray and Kelly still getting forward they were able to enjoy more of the ball. The impressive Kelly was unlucky with a chip shot which save keeper Bowman make a good save. It looked as though Aberdeen had done enough to win the game but on the 89th minute Falkirk won a corner, although the Aberdeen players felt it was a goal kick. The ball was played in and not cleared. The ball went to the back post area and full back Luke Leahy got a shot in which was going into the net. Bingham may have got a final touch but it did not matter, the home had equalised. The disappointment on the Aberdeen players was clear to see. It is the third time this season that they have lost a goal in the last minute of a game from a corner. Credit it to them though, they put a brilliant move together in the final minutes and Masson burst into the box. The ball landed at the feet of Smith but agonisingly he put the shot over. More disappointment but this was still another good performance from Neil's side.
Falkirk Teamsheet
Venue: Falkirk Stadium, Falkirk
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride