Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Dunfermline 2 - 0 Aberdeen

SPFL U20 League

08/04/2014 | KO: 18:00

Aberdeen U20s went down to a 2-0 defeat at East End Park against a strong Dunfermline side. However the young Dons were desperately unlucky not to get anything from the game after a spirited second half showing. Dunfermline, with a number of their young first team players playing, started the stronger and Burns was forced to make a good save from Mercer early on. The home side also put over a number of dangerous crosses and free kicks into the box which trouble the Dons defence. Just when it looked like Aberdeen had weathered the initial storm they conceded the opener on 20 minutes. The very impressive full back Alex Whittle did really well down the left and his cross was turned in by Allan Smith. Alan O'Sullivan twice went close for the Dons, his second attempt was a header from close range which bounced just over the bar after Declan McManus had put over a good ball. Declan had another very good game and his movement throughout was excellent. His best effort in the first half was a spectacular overhead kick which was very well saved by Ryan Goodfellow at his near post. At the other end Scott Mercer found himself in space in the box after poor defending but Burns made a brilliant one handed save from a shot which went across him. Also Michael Rose made a brilliant last ditch tackle to prevent an almost certain goal. Nicky Low was replaced at half time by Richie Petrie in a pre-planned move. Despite losing his influence and ability the Dons were a much better team in the second half and dominated for periods. Anytime though they did find themselves in and around the Dunfermline box, the home side defended very well in numbers. The Pars still posed a threat on the break and with 20 minutes to go substitute Cammy McClair should have made the game safe when through one on one with Burns but the Dons keeper made another very good save. First of all Scott Wright used his electric pace to get away from the last defender after a brilliant long ball from Michael Rose. The Scotland U17 International rounded the keeper but was forced wide and was at too tight an angle to shoot. He cut the ball back but O'Sullivan had his shot blocked and the Wright failed to pick out the unmarked McManus. Then with ten minutes to go there was an even better chance. A lose back pass was pounced on by the alert Campanile and when he got to the ball ahead of the onrushing keeper it looked like he must score. However he delayed his shot which allowed a defender to get back and block on the line. He would have been better squaring the ball to Murray who was up in support. From the resulting corner Rose headed a good chance over the bar. As is so often the case in football, Neil Cooper's men were cruelly made to pay for their misses when Scott Gray finished off a good move with a low shot in-off the post from the edge of area in the final few minutes.
Dunfermline Teamsheet
Goodfellow, Williamson, Whittle, Martin, Young, O'Kane, Graham, Byrne, Smith, Mercer, Crossan Subs: Wilson, Gray, McClair, Forrest, Duncan
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Burns, Murray, Robertson, Campanile, McKenna, Rose, Jones (Kelly 75), Low (Petrie 46), McManus, O'Sullivan (Orsi 70), Wright.

Unused Subs: Norris, Mutch, Dunbar, Robertson.
Venue: East End Park, Dunfermline